Samson

(47 Posts)
nello Mon 17-Feb-14 17:02:19

What do you think about Samson? DH has just put it forward. We are not religious.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 22-Feb-14 20:20:50

The Sunderland mascot is Samson the cat. He's mint .

Davidhasselhoffstoecheese Fri 21-Feb-14 20:14:28

Solomon Samuel solo Saul Simeon Silas
Sam is lovely

chipsandpeas Thu 20-Feb-14 12:01:54

i like it and would use it could use sonny as a nn if you didnt want sam

ZingSweetApple Thu 20-Feb-14 11:52:37

I love it, but I wouldn't choose it.

The Biblical character is so well-known that his physical attributes are what people associate the name with - and if he grows into anything than that image of a strong, muscly man there's a risk of people ending up laughing at him.
a fat, bolding Samson or a skinny spotty one is not something I think people would be kind about IYSWIM.

sorry, but that is what I think and I would not risk him being bullied or laughed at because of the dissonance between his name and look.

if you like it maybe use it as a middle name.

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 20-Feb-14 10:52:00

I like all 3. There's a little boy on Emmerdale called Samson and I was thinking how cute it was yesterday

Edgarallan Wed 19-Feb-14 21:49:33

Go for it, little boy at my play group has that name- everyone lives it x

scarletforya Wed 19-Feb-14 18:50:37

Samson is great. Really strong and masculine.

Edwin is a nerdy weakling!

ToffeeJungle Wed 19-Feb-14 18:41:54

Samson is better than Samuel though Im not keen.
Don't like Sam either, sorry.
Though they're all better than Edwin by a country mile!!

MauriceMinor Tue 18-Feb-14 06:38:35

Do do de do de do de do de doo.

MauriceMinor Tue 18-Feb-14 06:37:43

Delilah.

MauriceMinor Tue 18-Feb-14 06:37:14

Why why why?

BrieMonster Tue 18-Feb-14 06:36:06

Love it. Absolutely would have used it if not for the rhyming surname... Think Samson Johnson. Go for it, and Sam is a lovely nn.

SimplySara Mon 17-Feb-14 22:31:42

I like Samson. If not for a first name than perhaps for a different quirky middle name.

If you like Samson have you considered Hector?

NightCircus Mon 17-Feb-14 21:52:28
NightCircus Mon 17-Feb-14 21:52:14

Cute Samson here
http://lovetaza.com/

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Feb-14 18:26:18

My Sam/uel/son is a big lad, so the MWs were right in their nn! Have you considered Isambard Righteous? I toyed with it as a longer name for Sam (am an engineer), but then FiL discovered about 8 generations of Samuels in the family tree. On both sides!

RighteousSausage Mon 17-Feb-14 18:21:05

I love it, it's on my list, as I like Sam and Sammy but don't like Samuel.

nello Mon 17-Feb-14 17:56:09

Oh dear, not making it any easier!! smile DH is a big outdoorsie type, can't imagine DS to be a small thing - measurements are big already. And yes, he would be a Sam...we like Sam, but we don't like Samuel, and would want a longer formal name.

Theas18 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:51:08

My grandad was Samson smile always called Sam though.

Grandma was Alice (born 1899) and I think his brothers were Wilfred Herbert and Henry. That probably doesn't help you any though LOL.

buttercrumble Mon 17-Feb-14 17:44:59

Sorry it's awful , but love Henry smile

HoobleDooble Mon 17-Feb-14 17:44:48

I have a friend called Edwin, I've known him for 35 years but, oddly enough, it's only in the past few years that I've even known his name was really Edwin. He was known by his middle (more mainstream) name all the way through school. Can't say I blame him.

I know a 3yo Samson. I can see that Samson might be an awkward name to have if you turned out to be a 5'2" 8-stone weakling, but "Sam" is always an option in that case.

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Feb-14 17:40:44

It's a great name. DS is officially Samuel, but the MWes in hospital nn'ed him Samson because he was so strong (but poorly) and it stuck. He is called Samson more often than Samuel, although usually Sam.

BalloonSlayer Mon 17-Feb-14 17:39:06

Well it's nice but I am giggling at the thought of what if I had called either of my DSes Samson, they are both candidates for Mr Puniverse and would have had the piss ripped out of them good and proper by all and sundry.

If you think your DS has a chance of being built like a rugby player, then go for it.

invicta Mon 17-Feb-14 17:37:43

I know a 14 year old Samson, who gets called Sam in a non religious family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now