Unusual Girl Names Opinions!

(23 Posts)
SparklyMonkeyMummy Sat 15-Feb-14 08:29:27

Hi,

Me and DH our due our second DD in June and there are 3 names which I love and can't decide between! Our DD1 has a lovely unusual name, and we wanted another unusual name for this DD. So anyway the 3 names are:

Lyra
Inara
Ariah

The middle name will be May/Mae

Any help appreciated grin

Monkeyandanimal Sat 15-Feb-14 08:59:53

Inara is lovely. i like lyra but i have seen it a bit too much on here, so maybe it is becoming not-so-unusual?

Inara May. Beautiful.

SparklyMonkeyMummy Sat 15-Feb-14 09:06:15

Thanks,

yes I'd noticed that Lyra was becoming more popular angrygrin

I apologise for the awful grammar in my first post btw! DD1 was up at 4am this morning and I've not slept since! Starting to wonder what we've let ourselves in for grin

Heartychoke Sat 15-Feb-14 09:12:04

I quite like Ariah if it is pronounced likes sung aria.

Inara is above sound. Is it a actual name. It reminds me of the Italian name Ilaria and the Arabic name Inaya both of which I like.

Lyra is a bit of a 'Jayden' type name to my mind.

Heartychoke Sat 15-Feb-14 09:13:03

God auto correct killed the sense if that post! Sorry. I meant to whether Ariah was pronounced like an aria. And I meant to say Inara is a nice sound.

smithwillsam Sat 15-Feb-14 09:16:27

Hi,

All (3) names are nice and too unique. Though I love Ariah, It's an unusual baby name and would be perfectly suited your coming baby, which DD June.

SparklyMonkeyMummy Sat 15-Feb-14 10:24:11

Hi,

Yes Inara is an actual name, I have looked it up and found it in a baby name book!

Ariah would be pronounched are-ree-ah

Arg so hard to choose!

winterhat Sat 15-Feb-14 17:56:39

Ariah

GreggsOnLegs Sat 15-Feb-14 18:04:11

Please not Ariah! I could imagine lots of 8,9,10+ year olds adding di onto the beginning of it.

BlackberryandNettle Sat 15-Feb-14 18:17:28

I like them all, with Ariah you might have get Area pronunciation from some people... Inara is lovely.

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 15-Feb-14 18:21:36

I think you might need to consider taking the h off Ariah as I read it as a- rye- ah to rhyme with Mariah Carey.
Inara is lovely. I also teach an Iara (ee-ah-ra) which you might consider!

winterhat Sat 15-Feb-14 18:44:37

Ariana?

monkeymamma Sat 15-Feb-14 21:56:52

Ariah says game of thrones to me and will become very popular I am sure.
In area is beautiful but I foresee you having to correct people as it is very very unusual.
Lyra is my favourite and sounds sweet with May. But agree with other posters it is getting reasonably popular (not necessarily a bad thing).
How about Isis or Isolde? Isis May is very sweet.

monkeymamma Sat 15-Feb-14 21:57:27

Infra not In area obviously!

squoosh Sat 15-Feb-14 23:26:48

Lyra. Very pretty.

The other two sound like the names of Impulse body sprays.

nearlythere22 Sun 16-Feb-14 17:15:06

Lyra is a little too close to Lycra for my liking!

Artandco Sun 16-Feb-14 19:02:04

Lyra - no
Inara - nice
Ariah- nice but please dons add the h. Just aria. Or ariana

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Sun 16-Feb-14 19:24:02

Lyra is the nicest, followed by Ariah, but please don't put the h at the end. It doesn't need it. Aria is pretty on its own, the additional h is unnecessary.

noodlebum Mon 17-Feb-14 10:47:07

Lyra, then Inara. Not so keen on Ariah, especially with the h on the end.

Inara like on Firefly ? I like it. Also like Lyra and Aria, but without the h.

I have a Lyra so I vote for that onegrin. Also like Ariah but spell it like Arya Stark. Both fine role models for girls.

Garnett Wed 19-Feb-14 14:31:18

Arya Stark! I've been kicking myself.

Lyra - Golden Compass
Inara - Firefly/Serenity

I knew I'd heard Aria/Arya somewhere. Game of Thrones!

I like them all, and they're all great characters. Inara seems like the most unique and the least likely to be mispelt and mispronounced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now