Still can't decide...Baby is 6 days old!

(66 Posts)
Shellywelly1973 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:49:05

I'm down to two names Freya or Grace.

I was really keen on Freya but I'm worried it's too fashionable.

I more recently started to conside Grace...but is it too popular?

What do you think?

PenelopeLane Mon 10-Feb-14 07:31:43

They are both popular enough that you are probably likely to come across other children called both names, so you might as well just pick the one you like the most.

fideline Mon 10-Feb-14 08:18:06

Grace is beautiful. I think Freya, although lovely, will 'date' quite quickly.

Yama Mon 10-Feb-14 08:21:30

The only Freya I have ever met was a child when I was at uni (20 years ago).

I loved it then and love it now.

Grace is fine but much more popular where I live (Scotland).

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Feb-14 08:27:21

Grace is a terrible name to live with of you are not delicate and graceful! The two adult Graces I know use their middle names for this reason.

RalphRecklessCardew Mon 10-Feb-14 08:35:19

Grace is beautiful, but a tough one to carry off if you're a bit awkward or can't dance. So I'd go for Freya.

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Mon 10-Feb-14 09:10:32

I have a Grace. She is sometimes Gracie. It is popular but is a beautiful timeless name.

Lottystar Mon 10-Feb-14 11:07:28

Freya, Grace is too popular at the moment. If that doesn't bother you than just go with the name you like the best smile

squoosh Mon 10-Feb-14 11:12:34

Both nice popular names but I can't believe people are saying Grace won't date. Every second girl born in the past seven years has Grace somewhere in her name, it will absolutely date. Not that that needs to put you off.

Out of the two I'd go for Freya.

winterhat Mon 10-Feb-14 11:34:54

Grace, definitely!

Grace is the meaning for Anne/Anna/Hannah so I'd go for one of those grin

I'm not a Freya fan I'm afraid.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:20:56

Thanks for so many replies!

My mother's name is Anne so that would b fittin...

My other dc have VERY unusual names. Like my oldest dc was the only child with his name through all of school.

The thing is I like both names. Her middle name has already been decided as baby's grandmother died during my pregnancy so I always said I'd give baby mil name.

After reading the replies I probably... probably will go for Grace.

x

SoonToBeSix Mon 10-Feb-14 12:27:18

Don't like Freya at all it reminds me of cheese. Grace is lovely.

That would be nice and then technically she has been named after both Grandmothers. smile

It does mean however that you can't have any more children unless of course they are boys and you can name after both Granddads! grin

Homebirthquestion Mon 10-Feb-14 12:34:18

They are both very popular and will date your child (not saying that's a bad thing!) so just pick the one you prefer.

I've taught far more Graces.

I love Grace.

Freya makes me think of those pies in a can blush

Thisisanoutrage Mon 10-Feb-14 12:46:11

I prefer Freya.

TamerB Mon 10-Feb-14 13:28:12

Grace is a classic, it won't date your child. I prefer it to Freya.

Cocolikeschocolate Mon 10-Feb-14 13:34:27

Freya - so ethereal and feminine!

RaRa1988 Mon 10-Feb-14 14:01:27

I LOVE Freya (though prefer the Freja spelling personally - and did you know you can also spell it 'Freia'?), and I've never met anyone with that name either socially or through work (and I work for the NHS, so come into contact with a LOT of names). Probably depends on where you live. I don't think either are particularly common in my part of the NE.

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Fri 14-Feb-14 05:05:25

When I couldn't pick I used both with our already chosen middle name!

NadiaWadia Fri 14-Feb-14 06:15:03

Grace is not really a classic and timeless, in the same way as say, Elizabeth. When I was young (80s) it was most definitely thought of as an 'old lady name' (I had ancient great aunts born in the 1890s named Grace). You probably wouldn't have chosen it for a baby in the 80s, people would have thought it strange.

It has come in again over the last 20 years, and has been so very popular this time around that I think, like squoosh said, that in a few years it will date again.

But if that doesn't bother you and you love it, then why not?

pilates Sat 15-Feb-14 07:52:26

I prefer Grace

MrsBungle Sat 15-Feb-14 07:59:11

Definitely grace

Coconutty Sat 15-Feb-14 08:02:52

If you can't choose between them maybe neither is right?

I don't like Freya and don't mind Grace.

salvadory Sat 15-Feb-14 08:18:14

Both lovely, I have a great aunt Freya who is 65 so it's not a fad name to me. Around here (the North West) I don't know any Freyas of my daughters ages (4 and 2). The ones I know are around 7 so I don't think it's ever going to be ubiquitous. No baby Graces either (a lot with middle name of Grace). I'd pick oh I can't choose either, maybe Grace but I lie Freya too (sounds a bit Scandi cool).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now