Middle name for Aryan?

(159 Posts)
FreddoPops Sun 09-Feb-14 12:42:16

Prefer a more common and international middle name.

Any ideas?

kentishgirl Wed 12-Feb-14 15:07:43

Whatever it means elsewhere, in the UK the poor kid is going to have to deal with everyone getting a frozen WTF? look on their face when he tells them his name.

Imnotsurehowtogetthisout Wed 12-Feb-14 22:06:31

You must all live in white supremacist parts of england. I would never associate this name with the nazi movement. It is a beautiful name and I have come across this name several times (london). Mostly Iranians.

I also like Aryan Jai OP.

SomethingOnce Thu 13-Feb-14 00:45:11

Lol at all the people who would assume a white supremacist agenda, even for a white child named Aryan. Seriously?

I've never knowingly met a white supremacist (plenty of racists from various ethnicities, but not your actual white supremacists). Not saying there aren't any, but I'm guessing they tend not to draw attention to their views. And that would include not calling a child something stupidly obvious like Aryan. (Stupidly obvious in the context of being a white supremacist).

I don't recall ever meeting an Aryan, but I'd have assumed it was a name with which I was unfamiliar from another culture. It's nice. I agree that Jai works well as a middle name.

Misssss Sat 15-Feb-14 08:39:23

There is an Aryan in the school where I teach. I can't decide if the parents are thick or racists. Either way I die a little every time I see the name written down.

Lottystar Sat 15-Feb-14 10:04:03

That's a lovely thing for a teacher to say.

MamaLazarou Sat 15-Feb-14 18:33:21

My mum used to teach an Aryan: blonde hair, blue eyes, the poster child for Hitler Youth.

It's unfortunate for a child to have such sad connotations. If I met a child of Asian appearance with the name, I wouldn't necessarily assume the parents were neo-Nazis, I'd just think it was an unfortunate misunderstanding. For someone to be well aware of the connotations of the name and to use it anyway just shows a barefaced lack of cultural sensitivity.

OP, to answer your question, I'd go with your second-favourite name as middle name, as there's a good chance that your child will turn out to be more respectful of other people's feelings than his parents and will choose to go by his middle name instead.

FreddoPops Sat 15-Feb-14 23:18:31

MrsOakenshield Nice try. Somehow I doubt you would be calling people who name their child Joseph ignorant and crass. Why is that?

They're both historically and culturally common names, Aryan was around long before Nazi Germany and the name is not even pronounced the same as the word Aryan.

The only difference is Joseph is historically and culturally common in Europe. This is very much a case of 'it's fine for your country but not in ours'.

And as much as I appreciate the hypocritical and bigoted posts. I'm done with this thread.

For those of you who took the time to respond to my original post. Thank you very much. We decided on Aryan Jai. A.J as a nn. smile

Mumzy Sat 15-Feb-14 23:25:48

I known someone whose Indian called Swastik. Always thought its a strange name to call your child if you live permanently in the west.

MrsOakenshield Sun 16-Feb-14 00:47:00

Because Joseph is a name that the vast majority of people associate with the Bible - the father of Jesus. It had that as a very strong association way before Stalin came on the scene. Aryan, as this thread has clearly shown, and which you are clearly ignoring, is a word that most people associate with the hateful ideology that Hitler created, the result of which was the Holocaust.

Stick with AJ. Because your son is not going to thank you for saddling him with this name. Because, sooner or later, he will study the Second World War and will learn about the Aryan Nation. And his class will turn around and look at him. But you know that, and you're happy with that.

If I was the only person on this thread then it wouldn't matter. But I'm not, by a long shot. And, unless you are very ignorant or thick-skinned indeed, you knew damn well what the response would be when you posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now