Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Middle name for Aryan?

(159 Posts)
FreddoPops Sun 09-Feb-14 12:42:16

Prefer a more common and international middle name.

Any ideas?

Shallishanti Sun 09-Feb-14 13:10:58

people DO care and notice
a Jewish person, for example might very well care and notice
I would, and I'd think the parents were, at best, ignorant.
If the parents were Indian and living in India would be different

RightInTheKisser Sun 09-Feb-14 13:11:13

I know another who pronounces it Are yun which is how it looks to me. He is Pakistani. I have never heard anyone pronounce it the Air ee an way.

AmberLeaf Sun 09-Feb-14 13:14:26

Are you indian or pakistani OP?

If not, forget it.

I know two people called Aryan.

Both of them aren't known Aryan, now, althoigh it isn't pronounced as most people would pronounce it. They're known as Ari and Air.

RescueCack Sun 09-Feb-14 14:11:25

Aryan Brotherhood

Wanting an easy life isn't just for you, it's something you sometimes have to do for everyone. We live in a community. You can't opt out of certain things.

But I'm reading a book about censorship in our times by Nick Cohen and one of his basic arguments is that we're so afraid of offending nowadays that we're censoring ourselves to an extent that's gone too far. However I don't think censoring name choice is such a huge sacrifice. There must be others you like?

anyway. don't know why I'm feeding this. lol at 'international' name- are you sure that'd be fitting with Aryan?.....why not Dresden, like the sister of the Nazi pop twins in the US? (apparently these days they're all reformed and not grown up to be Nazi sympathisers)

Vatta Sun 09-Feb-14 14:28:02

Could you spell it differently, ie more the way you expect it to be pronounced? I really think it's a bad idea to use aryan, it has such terrible connotations.

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 09-Feb-14 14:34:05

It made me think of the Turkish yoghurt drink Ayrun I believe? But no don't use it as a name

onedev Sun 09-Feb-14 14:34:25

My DS has a friend called Aryan - his roots are Pakistani as far as I'm aware - never once occurred to me to associate it with Nazism?? I think it's a lovely name although wouldn't know a middle name to go with it, sorry!

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 09-Feb-14 14:34:40

Ayran even not Ayrun

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Sun 09-Feb-14 14:43:34

Ryan is a lovely name OP. Or Arianne for a girl.

BettyBotter Sun 09-Feb-14 14:44:16

I have a Dutch friend called Arian short for Adrianus (pronounced as you would Aryan) presumably. He has worked extensively in Arab countries where he has had to change his name to Aram because the word pronounced 'Arian' has an extremely offensive meaning in Arabic. I can't remember what but nothing to do with Nazism and we were told strictly never to address letters or ask for him on the phone as Arian.

So as far as international names go, it's alright in Holland but not really acceptable across large swathes of the world unless you don't mind your ds's name causing offence in a number of different ways. Sorry.

LynetteScavo Sun 09-Feb-14 14:54:31

One of the most gorgeous children I have ever met is called Aryan.

(He has Pakistani/English heritage)

I honestly can't think of a name which would "go" with it...I think you just need to find something you like.

I'm half Dutch and I wouldn't use this name. I can't imagine anyone in my family reacting well to that choice.

I have ancestors who hid Jews and got found out and sent to a camp. My Dutch grandfather and I bonded over our interest in the war when I was younger. He was always gentle, but had a hidden core of anger and regret and sadness in him linked to the events of the past, it is a big deal in our family. I couldn't use it.

FreddoPops Sun 09-Feb-14 15:49:49

Theodore - Too old
Ralph - Dislike
Casper - Makes me think of the ghost

Too Christian:
James
Nicholas
Matthew

I like Adam but don't think Aryan Adam flows very well.

bootsycollins Sun 09-Feb-14 16:00:30

Ayrton as in Senna

saintmerryweather Sun 09-Feb-14 16:01:42

So you're still going with the nazi name?

MataHairy Sun 09-Feb-14 16:04:18

How would you be pronouncing it?

Reincarnatedpig Sun 09-Feb-14 16:08:00

Well I am half Dutch too with Jewish ancestors and do not associate Arjan/Arian with Aryan. I don't think you can condemn all the Dutch Arjans and say their parents named them for the Aryan race -the name has a different root. There are also Dutch names which sound like Coon and Cock of course it sounds awful in English, but is quite acceptable there.

The name Saskia which is Dutch is said to derive from the word "Saxon" which also has rather unpleasant connotations to some people.

I think anyone using the name Aryan without changing the spelling is asking for trouble though. I think there are variations which are perfectly acceptable.

Artandco Sun 09-Feb-14 16:14:30

Aryan Quinn
Aryan Henri
Aryan Otis
Aryan Jensen

I would try for a diff spelling though.

Arrien, Adrian, Aaron, Aarien, Harrison??

Race?

If you call your child that, don't be surprised if they change it when they're older. People will think you're Nazi sympathisers, no matter how much you protest.

Please don't call your child Aryan.

IdaArnold Sun 09-Feb-14 16:30:31

Supremacy?

PsychoCynic Sun 09-Feb-14 16:33:22

My nephew is named Aaryan a traditional Indian name, just use the correct spelling OP.

I don't think you can condemn all the Dutch Arjans and say their parents named them for the Aryan race -the name has a different root.

I totally get your point- but I wasn't saying anything like that. I'm just saying that there are people with very thick skins around who aren't particularly bothered about upsetting people. Not that they're all racists and I wouldn't call my kid that because I'm not a racist. If I liked the name, I would only discount it on the terms that it's perceived to be offensive, not that it is offensive in itself. It's a name not a description and you can choose it for several reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now