Strong Russian names?

(62 Posts)

I'm Russian born and bred. Don't live there now, and have a DD named Sofia.

I like Artem for a boy...I like strong sounding names for girls (although I admit Sofia doesn't match that but that was more down to ex) but maybe a long elegant name (like Anastasia) which can be shortened?

Any ideas, as I'm stuck?

holycowwhatnow Tue 11-Feb-14 22:10:53

LynetteScavo Anastasia was used a lot in Ireland years ago- you won't find one under 70 now and the pronunciation was dreadful - Ana-STAY- sha, or STAYsha for short. Dreadful. So different to the beautiful Russian name. If you'd called your dd that, your head would be melted by your Irish relatives pronunciation of it. smile

rhetorician Tue 11-Feb-14 22:24:48

I have an irish Anastasia who is 2!!

LynetteScavo Tue 11-Feb-14 22:31:42

holycowwhatnow I think you and DH both know something I didn't! grin

mathanxiety Wed 12-Feb-14 04:52:07

It was indeed used a lot in Ireland. I have a third generation one aged 12 smile. We used the -sia spelling as my mum found her name had been misspelled in the register of births and so she got the more unusual (in Ireland) Russian version. They were going for Anastatia to name her after a great aunt.

I think the version used most in Ireland was Anastatia, which is Latin afaik, and was also used in Medieval English along with other variations (pr Anastay-sha and sometimes shortened to Staysha).

There's a very funny book called 'The Tailor and Ansty' (pr Ann-stee) by Eric Cross about an old couple in Cork iirc.

mathanxiety Wed 12-Feb-14 04:53:51

That is, she is at least third generation, probably much more, as in my mother's neck of the woods, old naming traditions tended to be widely honoured -- the great aunt would have been named after someone else and so on and so forth back into the mists of time.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 12-Feb-14 05:03:29

Roksana
Sveta/svetlana
Anoushka
Ilyana

LCHammer Wed 12-Feb-14 05:49:25

Go for Petrochemical. That would be indeed strong and unique smile

NannyPlumForPM Wed 12-Feb-14 19:59:30

A little abrasive? Or corrosive? wink

ProfondoRosso Wed 12-Feb-14 20:15:55

Fyodor, Konstantin and Dmitri are good too.

rhetorician Wed 12-Feb-14 20:20:58

mathanxiety never knew that about you! We found Anastasia (spelled that way) back in the early 1800s in family records, in Co. Cork (where DPs family are from). The last one was DPs great aunt, born before the Famine, the last irish speaker on the family farm. She was known as Ansty. As you were...

rhetorician Wed 12-Feb-14 20:23:13

Ha ha math DP has just said, wonder if your lot were noonans.

mathanxiety Thu 13-Feb-14 05:48:47

No, but my mother's maiden name is not a million miles from Noonan weirdly enough smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now