Is there a negative perception of boys whose names begin with C/K?

(70 Posts)
HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 15:18:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NightCircus Tue 11-Feb-14 21:21:58

Fair enough, I thought I might have something to add, as to whether there was a genuine basis to the c/k stereotype in a population of 'naughty boys'. Or if indeed it was unfounded.
Again it's a tricky topic and easy to offend.....

I personally dislike the terms 'bad' and 'naughty boys' as both are rather reductive. I can see why they'd be used for ease though.
I think the c/k names are probably more common in certain sections of community and those children face their own challenges. However, like I said it may be that names beginning with c/k sounds are just frequently used in English.

nkf Tue 11-Feb-14 20:02:06

Or the other way round. If a TV writer is trying to think of a name for a bad character, they probably reach for a stereotype and that it turns perpetuates the stereotype. I thought that was the OP was trying to say. I know it has become a I know a whoever and he was lovely type thread, but the original post wasn't really that.

NightCircus Tue 11-Feb-14 18:54:31

Most of the responses were around what people had experienced in their working or personal lives.
I expect TV will reflect that.

nkf Tue 11-Feb-14 18:45:52

I thought the thread was about TV names, not real life children.

NightCircus Tue 11-Feb-14 18:36:39

100 children with statements for behavioural issues in a midlands school. Approx 85% male.
A 8
B 7
C 13
D 1
E 1
F 1
G 1
H 2
I 0
J 17
K 11
L 10
M 3
N 2
O 1
P 2
Q 0
R 4
S 4
T 4
U 1
V 0
W 4
Y 0
Z 1

Most frequently occurring names
6 Joshuas
5 Liams
3 of Bradley, Ben, Cameron, Jordan

2 of Thomas, William, Sam, Jack, Jamie, Daniel (traditional?)
2 of Connor, Callum, Ashley, Kyle,

A selection of Kian, Keenon, Keedan, Kailums

Overall 24% have C/K names
17% J names
10 % L names.

No idea how this would compare with a same aged peers without behavioural issues, but there's your stats!

MrsT2007 Mon 10-Feb-14 11:47:38

I've taught a couple of Georges who are proper little £#%^ too. And a Rose, and Charlottes, Emmas etc.

It doesn't follow that names starting with letters have any bearing but in my experience (I'm not saying generally, just my experience!) messed about name spelling have been trouble. So Aymee, Jeorge (not Spanish!) we're not the best behaviour wise. Not the worst either (that belongs to a Daniel, a David and a Sam!)

Purplelooby Sat 08-Feb-14 23:22:01

Personally I think it is a prejudice born of class rather than Irish-ness. I'm from Salford which (until recently) has been considered very deprived. I'd guess that 95 % of us long-term Salfordians have at least some Irish heritage and names like Liam and Conor have been very popular here, but I think stereotypes of Salfordians (and all of the other similar) have been caused by being 'working class' and not because many of us are 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation Irish - IMHO the same thing applies to the names.

Incidentally, I've never taught a naughty Liam or Conor, but I've taught a Hugo who was a right little &%£$.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Sat 08-Feb-14 22:19:30

TiggyOBE Sat 08-Feb-14 22:09:52

No reading anything into that clip! I just love the clip and it happened to have a Carl/Karl in it.

TiggyOBE Sat 08-Feb-14 22:08:32

A typical Carl/Karl

Some K names seem to be chosen by types of people who have certain philosophies on rules/bounderies/discipline which are interesting.

I'm leaving it at that.

takingthathometomomma Sat 08-Feb-14 22:07:41

Aside from C/Ks, I wonder what Katie Hopkins-types think of children with foreign names that sound not-that-foreign. Would they be upset if their children were playing with Aaliyahs or Jamaals?

Lottystar Sat 08-Feb-14 22:02:26

Oh dear. Well, I'm not going to continue this discussion with you. I made my point, that's all.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Sat 08-Feb-14 21:37:07

GimmeDaBoobehz Sat 08-Feb-14 20:57:17

It's strange isn't it.

There was a Christian at my primary school who was the naughtiest little bugger in the world. The teachers felt so harassed by him and he'd throw chewing gum and brambles into us girls hair [little git - I threw a spider on him but my name doesn't begin to a K or C].

Carrianne was a girl who was pretty cheeky and naughty at that school too. She wasn't horrible but was very, very spoilt.

Kieran was a bloke I knew who had a delusion of grandeur and was quite 'everything is about me'.

Craig is a guy I know who was a womaniser and a general all round ass really.

Cameron is a bloke I knew who had a drug problem and was also a bit up himself (common theme?)

Karl is my exes name and lets just say he's an ex for a few very, very good reasons.

I have no idea why this is as it must be coincidence.

But I have met some nice:

Callum's
Catherine's
Charles's
Claire's

Lottystar Sat 08-Feb-14 19:44:03

Should we explore this issue? Of course you can if you like. I just don't really see the point, especially when it leads to some posters and responses making negative associations with certain names. Generally we all know we are capable of judging others, we can do it unwittingly everyday. That's life alas and I try to guard against that with every best intention. For all you know I may be of African heritage or background, you're making assumptions about my prejudices which I pointed out was simply my taste and inclination, nothing more, nothing less.

well, I have two boys who both have C names with a hard k sound.

Both names are on here but one of them is on with a K spelling instead of a C. Neither are naughty and I don't think their names would be considered particularly lower class - we were going for classless Scottish names though we went for a Gaelic spelling for one and think it ended up Irish instead.

I don't think it is do much the names that have a k sound in their original spelling that has the negative connotation so much as the ones where people have changed the C for a K in the form that the Kardashians have taken on board.

I know people shouldn't judge, but of course they do, you have a certain perception in mind when you hear a name and an expectation of what that person may be like or what class they come from. As long as you allow yourself to be open minded when you actually meet them then what you think inside your own head is your own business I guess.

mylittlesunshine Fri 07-Feb-14 21:15:26

I mentioned names that begin with K that I have known to be slightly naughty, doesn't mean every child with that name will be. People do and will always be put off names for some reason or other, whether it's because they have a mean aunt with it or they know a naughtier child with it or an ex partner etc there will always be something that will trigger it for that person. I certainly don't pre judge children on the name they have been given

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 21:13:08

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 07-Feb-14 19:54:23

Good point lotty. I know that's not what the OP was commenting on either but it is inevitable on mumsnet that it will be about naughty or unruly children whose names start with those letters. My DS has a name starting with K and it gets very tiresome having it referred to negatively on these threads.

Lottystar Fri 07-Feb-14 19:45:53

And that is the point I'm making, it undoubtedly leads to posters commenting on a child they know with the letter C. Or whatever being naughty, which makes me sad. I wasn't directly attacking you Op, although such threads always tend to go the same way. Children can be good, they can be naughty, it's more down to the parents, their natures and their environment (amongst other things) than a name. I'm certainly not classest, racist or anything else, I just don't particularly see the point of a thread where children will inevitably be labelled, whether that was the intention or not.

takingthathometomomma Fri 07-Feb-14 19:35:22

Lottystar I don't think the OP was labelling, she was questioning the negative perceptions (which, unfortunately, do exist). Other posters then continued to lightheartedly state whether they knew Cs or Ks who fit the stereotype or not. I think everybody on here is aware that it's daft.

Lottystar Fri 07-Feb-14 19:33:43

As I said, everyone to their own in terms of taste.

I think labelling boys names that begin with C or K as naughty based upon a child in someone's class or whatnot is daft, sorry.

NadiaWadia Fri 07-Feb-14 18:51:46

antiabz your dogs have middle names????

Lottystar I don't think you read the thread properly.

mylittlesunshine Fri 07-Feb-14 18:10:19

I would agree there are a lot where I work who are slightly more naughty that begin with K not so many with C the Connors I know are lovely

Caine
Kane
Kian
Kieron
Keegan
Keaton
Kai
Kyle

Also always have some naughty Joshua's, Jacobs & Reece

takingthathometomomma Fri 07-Feb-14 18:02:23

There was an interesting article in today's TES about names and stereotypes that made me think of this thread. Can't link as I have it in print, and I'm not sure if it can be read online unless you're a subscriber, but if anyone does subscribe to it do have a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now