Is there a negative perception of boys whose names begin with C/K?

(70 Posts)
HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 15:18:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NightCircus Wed 05-Feb-14 19:16:57

I really like Caleb which I think is somewhere between Kayden and Caspar.

Hullygully Wed 05-Feb-14 19:19:16

Statistically, 72% of all non-violent burglaries are carried out by men under 30 with names beginning with those letters.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Wed 05-Feb-14 19:20:04

Pigeonhouse Wed 05-Feb-14 20:56:41

The letter K doesn't exist in Irish, and the only names with any Irish origin on your list, OP, are Conor and Callum, and even then Callum is, I think, the Scots version of the Irish name Colm. Colm and Conor are plain, strong, traditional names, the equivalent of Thomas and James in Ireland.

The reason K names are looked down on in the UK is down to class prejudice. There is a perception that names like Kayden, Kayleigh and Kai are working class.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Wed 05-Feb-14 21:20:17

1944girl Fri 07-Feb-14 00:53:52

My name starts with a K but it is hardly ever used now.

I have a grandaughter with a name beginning with C and another with K.Neither of them are in the ''naughty'' list.

I do know a very naughty Kai though!

My father's name began with a K, also not on the naughty list.

The only Callum and Cole I've ever met are really clever, well behaved boys.

Just don't call your DS Gary.

DD1 had in in her class who lived in the corridor, 30 years before so did we.

aquashiv Fri 07-Feb-14 01:11:08

k is often a wron on due to the Kardashaians they are fecking ejits though who would bastardise all name so that they can begin with a K

aquashiv Fri 07-Feb-14 01:11:41

apologies for spelling

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 01:21:55

NightCircus Fri 07-Feb-14 08:40:25

I'll return to this thread next week. There's 100 kids at school, (all with v v high tier behaviour issues). I'll do a letter count!

pixiestix Fri 07-Feb-14 15:00:32

I've always thought it was anti-Irish as well as anti-working class when I have read it on here but Pigeonhouse's post has got me thinking now. Maybe that is a completely mistaken view.

ohhifruit Fri 07-Feb-14 15:04:54

We have a Christopher who shortens his name to Kit. My mother (a teacher) says similar to you - Conors/Callum/Kyle are the worst in her experience.

Minicreamegg Fri 07-Feb-14 15:09:46

It's the very 1st time I've seen my DS name mentioned on MN and it's on the naughty list! Great lol

Pigeonhouse Fri 07-Feb-14 15:33:22

No, Pixie, I do think there is a distinct prejudice about names perceived to be Irish in this country - long before I had my son, I remember other Irish friends having children in the UK debating on names and whether their children would face discrimination if they had Irish names - but the names on the OP's list mostly aren't Irish.

But of course, what matters is whether a name is perceived to be Irish, not whether it in fact is. Perhaps the existence of Cillian, Colm, Conor etc means some people assume Kayden, Kai and the like are in fact Irish?

It's interesting also that the Irish name prejudice seems to be gendered. Lots of enthusiasm for Medbh, Niamh, Aisling and the like, but much more dubious about boys' names...

antiabz Fri 07-Feb-14 15:35:12

I always imagined Cedrick/ Cecil to be well behaved.

But then my dogs have those as middle names and they certainly aren't!

dozily Fri 07-Feb-14 15:42:16

We considered an Irish name (Liam) but were worried about the 'naughty boy' connotations. I agree it doesn't seem to apply to Irish girls' names though.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 16:50:44

Lottystar Fri 07-Feb-14 17:38:04

What a silly thread - it's just making generalisations about certain names and being judgemental. It's certainly not anti Irish as lots of Irish names are very popular. I personally don't like americanised names which are misspelt or just made up but that's not snotty, just because I'd like to give my children names with a bit of history or tradition. Everyone to their own. But to suggest a child is naughty due to their name is preposterous.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 17:57:21

takingthathometomomma Fri 07-Feb-14 18:02:23

There was an interesting article in today's TES about names and stereotypes that made me think of this thread. Can't link as I have it in print, and I'm not sure if it can be read online unless you're a subscriber, but if anyone does subscribe to it do have a look!

mylittlesunshine Fri 07-Feb-14 18:10:19

I would agree there are a lot where I work who are slightly more naughty that begin with K not so many with C the Connors I know are lovely

Caine
Kane
Kian
Kieron
Keegan
Keaton
Kai
Kyle

Also always have some naughty Joshua's, Jacobs & Reece

NadiaWadia Fri 07-Feb-14 18:51:46

antiabz your dogs have middle names????

Lottystar I don't think you read the thread properly.

Lottystar Fri 07-Feb-14 19:33:43

As I said, everyone to their own in terms of taste.

I think labelling boys names that begin with C or K as naughty based upon a child in someone's class or whatnot is daft, sorry.

takingthathometomomma Fri 07-Feb-14 19:35:22

Lottystar I don't think the OP was labelling, she was questioning the negative perceptions (which, unfortunately, do exist). Other posters then continued to lightheartedly state whether they knew Cs or Ks who fit the stereotype or not. I think everybody on here is aware that it's daft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now