Is there a negative perception of boys whose names begin with C/K?

(70 Posts)
HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 15:18:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NadiaWadia Tue 04-Feb-14 15:22:59

Well I don't know. There are Charles and Christopher, which seem quite 'good boy' names!

NadiaWadia Tue 04-Feb-14 15:24:36

It could be that names like Kayden are perceived as lower-class? But I really like some of the names you list, like Connor.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 15:28:02

MyPreciousRing Tue 04-Feb-14 15:28:48

You forgot 'kian'

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 15:30:14

MrsHarryRamsden Tue 04-Feb-14 15:30:48

A lot of the boys with challenging behaviour in my docs school have names starting with C/K. Probably a coincidence but uncanny...

TrampledUnderfoot Tue 04-Feb-14 15:56:23

It's an anti 'lower class' thing.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 19:18:23

takingthathometomomma Tue 04-Feb-14 19:25:08

I've noticed that too. I can't say why but people seem to turn their noses up at these names. I know two lovely, polite Kaydens and one lovely Cai. I also know a Kye who's a nightmare. A nightmare Christopher too!

Oubliette0292 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:22:42

I'd counter with Clive, Casper, Conrad, Clyde, Crispin, Christian and maybe Colin for 'C' and Kenneth, Keir and Karl for 'K'. I also know some Kevins who are very successful.

Mintymoomoo Tue 04-Feb-14 20:28:37

In my experiance the naughty boys I know are called Harry, Jack and George (I actually like all these names but have family and good friends children who already have them

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 20:30:04

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Tue 04-Feb-14 20:30:32

Oubliette0292 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:36:45

I have to confess I've never met a child called Karl, but the adults I know with this name are so dull that I just can't picture them doing anything naughty as children...

NadiaWadia Wed 05-Feb-14 01:03:42

I don't think it could be an anti-Irish thing. Because girls names of Irish origin like Siobhan and Orla etc are not stereotyped as 'naughty girl' names as far as I know?

A lot of those names you list are American really, like Corey and Cody. No I think it is probably a 'class' thing. But why so many are 'c's and 'k's I really don't know!

WorriedMouse Wed 05-Feb-14 05:16:40

I noticed this when I was pregnant the first time and teaching a difficult group of boys. Lots of names beginning with k/c. Coincidence probably but all those names were off our list because I didn't want to name a child after naughty boy I'd taught. Didn't need to worry as we had a girl!

bigkidsdidit Wed 05-Feb-14 05:31:52

I've always thought it was anti- Irish sentiment, you get the same reactions to names like Liam; not c /k names but Irish origin.

JapaneseMargaret Wed 05-Feb-14 06:46:30

It's a class thing - girls names starting with K are also, um, frowned upon.

Kayleigh, Kelsey, Kari, Karley, Katelyn (though not Caitlyn so much), Keira, etc. And then the K-afied C names - Khloe, Kourtney, Kandace, etc...

tammytoby Wed 05-Feb-14 14:35:10

Really? I know lots of lovely boys called Christopher, Caspar, Cornelius, Crispin and Conrad. And on the Continent names like Karl, Kaspar and Konrad are all normal names.

Equally, Caroline, Clementine, Catherine, Clarissa, Cornelia, Cordelia, Clara, Cecily are all lovely names imo, don't think they're all 'naughty' names.

So I don't think it is the letter 'C' or 'K' that makes these names naughty.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Wed 05-Feb-14 14:37:34

tammytoby Wed 05-Feb-14 14:40:33

Yeah, I guess that's true smile

NightCircus Wed 05-Feb-14 17:58:23

Ks Js and McKenzies

I work with challenging teens so I'd include the following as very frequent:-
Kayden
Keenan
Kyle
Bradley
Joshua

ProfondoRosso Wed 05-Feb-14 18:06:06

Very sad if there's any anti-Irish prejudice to this.

I don't see how Charles/Cornelius/Caspar are better names than Callum or Connor.

But maybe that's because I'm in Glasgow and am just accustomed to growing up around boys and men with Irish names, because so many of us here are just one or two generations away from Irish families.

Celestae Wed 05-Feb-14 18:09:55

My son is called Conor.... I hope he isn't naughty... I don't have people telling me so, and I have met other people with children who don't listen to them as well as my boy listens to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now