Do these names seem posh to you?

(42 Posts)
CarlaVeloso Wed 29-Jan-14 20:18:54

Emilia
Clara
Verity

DH is convinced they are a bit posh for us. I think I've spent so long thinking about this that I no longer have an immediate sense of where they fall in the whole class thing...what do you think?

noodlebum Fri 31-Jan-14 10:37:58

Not particularly no. Although Emilia could be problematic for a different reason, getting confused with Amelia constantly...

Blu Fri 31-Jan-14 08:10:21

Not 'posh' - quite learned, perhaps?

Lovely names anyway.

Tell your DH you could spell them

Emeliya, Klara and Veritee if he wants them to sound less 'posh'.

meditrina Fri 31-Jan-14 08:08:17

I don't think they are posh.

Emilia (as a Latinate version of the more frequent Emily) is slightly more erudite.

Verity (like other virtue names) was extremely frequent across classes a generation or two ago (and often associated with Chapel rather than Church going) but isn't really marked now.

Clara has no strong associations.

Morgause Fri 31-Jan-14 07:58:53

Classic, I'd say. I've met people with those names and they were all lovely.

sashh Fri 31-Jan-14 07:57:49

Emilia/Amelia - not at all posh, probably used to be but not now, too many of them.

Clara - nope, popular with fans of Heidi - the book not the name and now with Dr Who fans.

Verity - just sounds quite old to me, but old in a good way, I see verity as a suffragette.

headoverheels Fri 31-Jan-14 07:18:22

Agree with Mrsindecision, if you go for Emilia she will be constantly correcting people who think it's Amelia, which is currently v popular (3 Amelias in my DD's class).

My favourite is Clara.

RalphRecklessCardew Fri 31-Jan-14 07:13:33

Pretty neutral, and pretty.

CarlaVeloso Fri 31-Jan-14 01:32:39

Middle of the road? Ouch.

sleepingbeautiful Fri 31-Jan-14 00:39:02

I don't think they are posh. They are nice middle of the road names to me.

Mrsindecision Thu 30-Jan-14 13:16:21

I don't think any of your choices are posh and I like all them all, but would be concerned that Emilia would consistently be misheard as Amelia and she would be constantly correcting people (I know a number of Emilia's and this happens to them regularly).

lljkk Thu 30-Jan-14 12:52:13

Verity yes posh, not the others. Clara will probably soar in popularity after Dr. Who.

Clara is only one I could like.

wholesomemum Thu 30-Jan-14 12:40:38

They're all timeless and gorgeous. Put it this way: they would all sound respectable off DD decided to do med/PhD and you put Dr in front of them. Dr Verity, Dr Emilia, Dr Clara. I think that's normally a good sign and it's the test I use personally...you do, after all want to give them scope to become anything. And if they're not high fliers/ want to get by on their looks then they all sound pretty, too! ;-)

Viviennemary Thu 30-Jan-14 12:31:15

They are all nice names. I like Verity best.

lebkuchenlover Thu 30-Jan-14 12:29:02

Actually, isn't it the person that determines how posh or chav he/she is (rather than someone's name?!)?

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Thu 30-Jan-14 12:19:03

I know a Verity who is totally normal - it doesn't have to be posh!

Oldandcobwebby Thu 30-Jan-14 12:14:11

Great names, every one!

WowserBowser Thu 30-Jan-14 12:07:25

Lovely names. Good choices op!

NinjaPenguin Thu 30-Jan-14 12:07:06

I think they sound posh. (But then I'm the opposite of posh grin ) but I don't see what is wrong with that. They can still be pretty names, not my taste (apart from Emilia, which I love!) but if you like them, then I don't see why it matters.

lebkuchenlover Thu 30-Jan-14 12:03:39

What on earth is wrong with a 'posh' name? Most names that some of you call posh are simply beautiful names!

Wuxiapian Thu 30-Jan-14 12:01:56

I wouldn't say they sounded posh, but pretty.

Innogen Thu 30-Jan-14 12:00:48

I have a posh name but I am a massive chav.

At uni no one believed I had gone to state school because of it. That and my stupid accent.

ToffeeJungle Thu 30-Jan-14 11:56:51

I would consider them as posh, too posh for me anyway!

In order of poshness (poshest first):
Verity
Clara
Emilia

Sharaluck Thu 30-Jan-14 11:41:50

Verity is posh.

looki Thu 30-Jan-14 00:44:45

Ummm . like the poster above said, if met individually....no. If I had to choose one, it would be Verity but to be perfectly honest whenever I think about whether a name is posh or not, I imagine it being called in different regional accents. This quickly eliminates ANY name from being posh!

phoolani Wed 29-Jan-14 20:55:28

Verity is well posh and I love it. My boyfriend when I was 16 had a younger sister called Verity and she totally rocked. It's a fab name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now