Thoughts on Alexia, nn Lexie

(40 Posts)
NannyPlumForPM Wed 29-Jan-14 18:13:12

The front runner for our dd is alexia poppy b***er, and will be known as lexie.

Asking for genuine thoughts- is lexie 'chavvy'? Other dd is Isabella rose nn Bella - a good sibset?

Thanks!

NannyPlumForPM Wed 29-Jan-14 23:41:13

Thanks all for your views! grin

itsbetterthanabox Wed 29-Jan-14 21:41:24

*nicer

itsbetterthanabox Wed 29-Jan-14 21:41:12

Alexis is nice imo. Lexie for a nn is fine to me.

moobaloo Wed 29-Jan-14 21:34:18

I like Alexa probably a little more than Alexia but think both are perfectly good names! And I LOVE Poppy!

Alexandra might be a good 'full' first name as it can be shortened to Alex/Alexa/alexia/Alexis/Alex/Lexi/Sandy as you wish??

fluterby Wed 29-Jan-14 21:13:51

I guess it depends on who you've met with that name. Isabella or bella is like the modern day tracy or claire where we are in that there are five in dd's class. Personally I don't like lexi .Alexa is fine though. But who am I - choose what you think is nice.

TheNightIsDark Wed 29-Jan-14 21:10:13

I have a Lexie. She refuses to answer to Alexandra. I'm working on Alex.

Flibbedyjibbet Wed 29-Jan-14 21:08:59

I was hoping for Alexandre and would have shortened to Lexi rather than Alex. Then I had my annual viewing of Eastenders and a young girl had a baby and called it Lexi.... Still gutted!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 29-Jan-14 21:00:23

I knew an Alexandra, went by Alexandra, Alexa, Al,Allie,Lex,Lexie.

Definitely got called sexy Lexie, but not until university.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 29-Jan-14 20:58:56

I don't really like Alexia, prefer Alexa.

Lexie is fine a nickname. She will get Sexy Lexie as a teen, but unlikely to have it as a small child.

Bella the fella would be far worse for a teen girl! Never thought of that before but it did make me chuckle.

AGoodPirate Wed 29-Jan-14 19:57:11

I don't like it.
I like it less now I've seen someone say sexy Lexie.
And yes I think it is seen as rather common, if that bothers you.

I really like Poppy though!

NannyPlumForPM Wed 29-Jan-14 19:45:46

Similarly I don't wish for my pre pubescent daughter to be called Bella the fella, but I suppose it's another connotation to think about!

Much prefer Alexandra. Classic name. Can be shortened to Alex by friends with no "sexy" connotations.

Lexie is chavvy round our way. Would hate for any pre-pubescent daughter of mine to be teased and called "sexy Lexie". - urgh, just no.

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jan-14 19:31:47

I don't think it's a widely known term. I only know of it because I once had to compile a glossary for work which included it.

It's a pity really because Alexia is actually quite a pretty name.

BananaHammocks Wed 29-Jan-14 19:30:54

I'm surprised by the responses, I thought Lexie was generally seen as quite chavvy. Enhanced by it's use by a teen mum in Eastenders! Alexa and Alexia not much better.

NannyPlumForPM Wed 29-Jan-14 19:25:02

Mmmm I was aware of the reading disability connotation but wanted to see if it was generally thought of as 'disability' first or 'pretty name' first...... It would be unfortunate for alexia to develop alexia though!

Tea1Sugar Wed 29-Jan-14 19:14:15

I had Lexie and Lydia on our list until I was put off my "sexy Lexie" and "chlamydia Lydia" :-/

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jan-14 19:13:54

Not sure about Alexia tbh because there is a medical term called alexia which means loss of the ability to read, usually caused by brain lesions. For that reason alone I wouldn't go for it.

Alexa is much better. I don't think Lexie is chavvy at all, it's pretty.

Poppy is far too cutesy for me.

NannyPlumForPM Wed 29-Jan-14 19:07:07

Gosh quite a mixed reaction!! I'm in the midlands and it's not really popular around here- to the point that i've not met one! But it was more about connotations iykwim

Lifeisaboxofchocs Wed 29-Jan-14 18:46:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 29-Jan-14 18:44:03

We know an Alexia (6), who's known as Lexi. Very, very far from "chavvy". We're in the home counties. I also know a grown up Alexandria, whose nn is Sexy Lexi.

mumof2aimingfor3 Wed 29-Jan-14 18:43:03

I think Lexie is a lovely nick name, and poppy balances the name nicely. Lexie sounds fun definitely not chavvy. I childmind several children across different age groups and dont know one Lexie. If I was having a girl I would have Lexie on my shortlist, but we're having a boy ;)

dyslexicdespot Wed 29-Jan-14 18:41:52

Lexie sounds too sexy!

Bowlersarm Wed 29-Jan-14 18:41:06

I love Lexie.

I do not think it is at all chavvy. South east.

MrsBungle Wed 29-Jan-14 18:39:31

My next door neighbours little girls are Lexie and Bella! They are Alexandra and Isabella. I prefer Alexa to alexia. I'm not a fan at all of poppy but that's by the by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now