Thea - does it have to be short for something?

(17 Posts)
sleepingbeautiful Tue 28-Jan-14 22:56:08

I know a grown up Althea and a small Alethea at nursery. I think Thea is fine as a stand alone name though.

sammyad Tue 28-Jan-14 22:22:56

Thanks everyone! Think I need to look at Thea on it's own again - though I like the alternative spelling of Theia smile

Clawdy Tue 28-Jan-14 21:58:56

Thea is a version of Theia, a Greek goddess. A lovely name.

Frontdoorstep Tue 28-Jan-14 21:07:08

I think Thea on it's own is fine. I like both your boys choices.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 28-Jan-14 20:04:05

I love this name. The only one I know (an adult) is just Thea, not short for anything.

nobutreally Tue 28-Jan-14 19:25:27

I am the owner if a Thea smile. We used it in its own right - and the two other Thea's we know have done the same. Personally don't like Anthea much, although I do like Dorothea & Theadora.

BackforGood Tue 28-Jan-14 19:20:50

I only know 2 Theas, and, as far as I'm aware, they both have it as a stand alone name. I quite like it, but I'm with your dh and not liking the two 'longer' names you've mentioned. smile

hatebeak Tue 28-Jan-14 19:10:35

I think Thea works a stand-alone name. Thea Madeleine is very elegant. Robert Francis is nice too.

insearchoftheFlumFlumTree Tue 28-Jan-14 18:47:34

I don't think that it has to be short for anything, and I'm usually quite fussy about 'proper' names on birth certificates. But I do love Dorothea....

Pinkandwhite Tue 28-Jan-14 18:33:53

I know two people called Thea - one who is in her thirties and another who is 2. I'm never thought to ask whether either of their names are short for anything else (I will ask now though!). I absolutely love the name. It helps that both of them happen to be gorgeous and lovely. I don't think it needs to be short for anything. But I actually really like the name Dorethea if you do decide to make it short for anything.

How will it be pronounced? One of the Theas I know pronounces it with a hard T - Taya. The other with the soft Th pronounciation.

Brittapie Tue 28-Jan-14 18:22:59

My friend has a baby called Althea - is that any good?

funandgamesatthezoo Tue 28-Jan-14 18:18:57

How about Theia? It's a name in its own right.

caz05 Tue 28-Jan-14 17:26:09

I know just a Thea and as is now 10 and nobody has ever questioned if its short for anything. I love the name and would happily use it if you want it smile

HyvaPaiva Tue 28-Jan-14 17:18:43

How about Theodora? I love the name Thea.

Theodora Madeleine has a lovely flow with four then three syllables.

From your male choices, Robert Francis.

If you like Thea then just use that

Rosieliveson Tue 28-Jan-14 17:14:42

It could also be short for Theodora.

You wouldn't have to use her full name if you didn't want.

sammyad Tue 28-Jan-14 17:13:03

First name DP has come up with that I actually also really like, helped by fact I had a fabulous great aunty Thea.

The dilemma: I think it has to be short for something - I really like Anthea, though would also consider Dorothea as that was great aunt's name. We could always call her Thea though, full name just for birth certificate/official things.

DP hates all the names it's short for because he's being difficult he thinks they're too old-fashioned, and doesn't see a problem with just Thea on it's own.

Putative middle name is Madeleine, and before Thea our top name was Phoebe, if either of those things are relevant.

Thoughts?

Oh and if bump's a boy, we're swithering between Robert Francis and Robert William... again any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now