Mia Grace (Zara's Baby Name)

(97 Posts)
katatonic Thu 23-Jan-14 13:29:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

poppydaisy Thu 23-Jan-14 22:09:11

"How on earth can a name be "dull" or "boring"?"

Names are subjective and some of us find the name Mia Grace dull, boring and overused, just as others may find other names "interesting" and "unusual".

Personally, Mia Grace isn't my taste and I find it is already starting to sound a little dated/overused to my ears.

The name Zara, on the other hand, I love!

toobreathless Thu 23-Jan-14 22:09:26

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Good, solid name.

It just doesn't inspire me personally.

But congratulations to them.

GW297 Thu 23-Jan-14 22:55:28

I like it. I love Grace as a middle name.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Fri 24-Jan-14 19:42:19

Didn't Kate Winslet start the Mia craze?

SanityClause Fri 24-Jan-14 19:43:51

Fashionable about 15 years ago?

MomentForLife Fri 24-Jan-14 19:48:31

I love it. It's v similar to my DD's name. It is quite a common name but for a Royal it's quite unusual.

NadiaWadia Fri 24-Jan-14 19:57:10

Pleasant name, but very popular at the moment, so in the future it may seem dated?

CPtart Fri 24-Jan-14 19:59:40

Add it to all the thousands of others.
Boring.

Dolanette Fri 24-Jan-14 20:39:33

Mia , blended version of Mike and Zara. Mi (ke Zar) a
I like it!!

Mellowandfruitful Fri 24-Jan-14 21:30:36

Imagine the grief they'd be getting if they'd gone for Clytemnestra or Massachusetts or whatever. Zara strikes me as someone with her head screwed on who doesn't feel the need to be different for the sake of it.

curlew Fri 24-Jan-14 22:03:07

How on God's Green Earth is Mia a blended version of Mike and Zara?

Dollydowser Fri 24-Jan-14 22:07:49

Maybe she thinks Mia is an unusual name?

squoosh Fri 24-Jan-14 22:18:59

Mi(ke) (Zar)a

curlew Fri 24-Jan-14 22:30:00

But all that shows is that it's got the same letters in it!

curlew Fri 24-Jan-14 22:33:33

"Maybe she thinks Mia is an unusual name?"

Or maybe she's got the sense to realize that every baby is so individual and wonderful that parents who bend over backwards to find a "unique" name because otherwise they will somehow become indistinguishable from all other babies are being just a bit silly?

squoosh Fri 24-Jan-14 22:34:22

Yes I'm sure they didn't really pick a blended name, it's probably something an Express journalist tasked with writing a 10,000 word article on the new baby came up with.

FrumiousBandersnatch Fri 24-Jan-14 22:37:47

It's pretty but I'm surprised that they've gone top ten.

amyshellfish Fri 24-Jan-14 22:52:12

I like the fact they have picked something they clearly like. I thought maybe William and Kate had a list of acceptable names they could pick from and George was the best of a bad bunch of dull royal names. I don't expect Kate had much to do with the naming of her child.

StopSquabbling Fri 24-Jan-14 22:56:38

It's a perfectly nice, meh name.

It's too bland to have an opinion of, but I'm glad she'll have no stupid title with it.

SanityClause Fri 24-Jan-14 23:00:42

DD2 is 12 and had two Mias in her primary school class. I know another Mia who is 13 or 14, and I remember it being a bit of an obvious choice when she was born.

Hulababy Tue 28-Jan-14 18:49:15

Must be a regional thing partly too re popularity.

I work in an infant school and out of the 270 children there isn't a single Mia among them.

There wasn't one in DD's primary school (abt 100 girls) last year either.

YouGrateMyCheese Wed 29-Jan-14 13:43:35

I feel like Zara really couldn't win here. If she had chosen an established royal name she would have been labeled as predictable; if she had gone with a more unique name some would have dismissed it as too try-hard. So I can see why she went with a popular, "safe" name like Mia. It's a perfectly fine, inoffensive, pretty name that should serve the baby well. I'm assuming the parents chose it because - I hope! - they both equally loved it. (Which can be no small feat!) The baby's going to have a life in the spotlight - she probably wanted to give her as normal a name as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now