Sally

(47 Posts)
Splodges Mon 20-Jan-14 22:03:10

What do people think of the name Sally? I like it, but I don't seem to see it suggested here often/at all - or is it on here all the time and I've just somehow missed it?

nothruroad Sat 25-Jan-14 21:00:53

I am intrigued by the idea of a Sally the camel song because when I was at Brownies we sang Alice the camel. I like both names but think that Alice makes a much better camel name!

PiperChapman Sat 25-Jan-14 21:11:31

horribly dull and dated

BlueStarsAtNight Sat 25-Jan-14 21:17:05

It makes me think of Mallory Towers! I like it, it makes me think of a very friendly no-nonsense kind of girl, it's pretty but not frilly or made up. I'd consider it!

I have a friend called Sally, usually shortened to Sal. It is a lovely name. She says she hates it when people call their pets Sally but my own DD has a name which is frequently used for pets and it doesn't bother me.
I think it is a sweet and pretty name. Will go nicely with lots of middle names.

NadiaWadia Sun 26-Jan-14 01:12:00

I know a Sally in her early twenties.

Chottie Sun 26-Jan-14 06:41:03

Sorry, but a big no.

Definitely Alice the camel as it's dd2's nickname smile. I'm a Sarah/Sally otherwise DH would have wanted to call one of the girls this combo

<totally and utterly outs self, time for a name change!>

My sister is Sally, I think it's lovely. She's lovely too :-) never heard any comments on it, and as far as I know, she likes it as well.

escape Sun 26-Jan-14 08:30:47

Reminds me of a name like Karen, Dawn, Debbie, Kelly, Lynne, Julie... Nothing 'wrong' with any of them, no bad connotations etc, just not particularly 'girlie' or en vogue.

LightsPlease Sun 26-Jan-14 08:35:00

One of the worst names ever.

TheNumberfaker Sun 26-Jan-14 08:44:59

It's lovely. I know 3 - early thirties - early forties.

It's a good name that's not too common.

Wombmates Sun 26-Jan-14 11:50:07

I much prefer Polly - I put these two in the same sort of category.

There is something about Sally which I don't think is as 'sparkly' as Polly. No offence to any sparkly Sallys out there smile

YouGrateMyCheese Sun 26-Jan-14 14:35:53

I'm a Sara/Sally too, GwendolineMaryLacey! It's so rare to find someone who still uses Sally as a nickname for Sara/Sarah. I've had to explain the connection over and over and over...There were actually two pretty active threads on here about Sally a couple weeks ago, op. I've been seeing it pop up - albeit quietly - on other name boards recently. I think people are looking for a Molly/Lily/Millie/Holly alternative that hasn't been done to death. In the U.S. at least, it was popular in the 18th century and it was in the top 100 from 1930 to 1955, so it definitely wasn't a 70s (and certainly not 80s!) name. (As a 20-something Sally, I have never had to share my name.) Its secret weapon is that everyone has heard of it but very few have actually used it. I've been told that it's a pretty - and unique, go figure! - name.

And no offence taken, Wombmates! I strive to be sparkly. wink

EatsFartsAndLeaves Mon 27-Jan-14 01:11:25

Yeah the Camel is Alice, I remember well since I went to Brownies with an Alice.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 27-Jan-14 13:52:08

My SIL to be is called Sally. She is 19 (I think)

It really suits her, not a common name but I think it's nice.

PiratesLifeForMe Mon 27-Jan-14 14:00:16

No, sounds a bit old-fashioned & frumpy to me. Lots of lovelier names out there!

YouGrateMyCheese Tue 28-Jan-14 14:09:24

Sure it's old-fashioned, but that's its strenght. Look at all the popular names of today that, 30 years ago, would have been dismissed as "old-fashioned": Charlotte, Lily, Emma, Violet, Martha, Eleanor, Matilda, Daisy, Millie, etc. None would have been called fashionable in the 80s, yet look at them now. We all seem to forget that we mutually change our minds every few decades on what makes a stylish name.

rooted Tue 28-Jan-14 16:41:25

I have a Sally (Sarah on birth certificate) and I love it! I too often have to explain the connection between the two names. Most notably to my bil Jim, officially James! He could not get that it is a nickname similar to his own. I think it is feminine without being twee.

qazxc Tue 28-Jan-14 16:46:01

It's unusual these days but not too "out there" IYKWIM. If you like it go for it.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 28-Jan-14 17:27:05

I like it, as for 'not very professional' it didn't stop Sally Magnusson or Baroness Oppenheim-Barnes or Sally Ride from having successful careers.

YouGrateMyCheese Tue 28-Jan-14 18:17:21

And it certainly hasn't hurt Sally Field's career. Oooo and Sally Hawkins is up for an Oscar this March.

everlong Tue 28-Jan-14 19:28:28

It's sort of dated to me. Not a classic.
Certainly not awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now