Worst 2 names you've EVER heard?

(100 Posts)
mummyjanine Mon 20-Jan-14 08:51:05

One boys name & one girls name that just makes you cringe!!

Mine:
Girl - Girtrude
Boy - Gaylord
shock

KatoPotato Mon 20-Jan-14 12:35:48

Jaxon.

Just not for me thanks.

gruffalosfriend Mon 20-Jan-14 13:18:11

I don't have any 'worst' names and no name has ever made me cringe. But there are people that I dislike and, by association, their names!
Equally, a lovely person can make any name beautiful in my mind!

What is your name op?

tammytoby Mon 20-Jan-14 14:39:19

Would also like to know op's name!

My lovely gran was Gertrude and that's what I associate it with now.

Only1scoop Mon 20-Jan-14 14:43:07

Op never seems to come back to her threads. Not even for a thank you hmm

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Mon 20-Jan-14 14:43:51

Urigeller. I think I know the same person. Didn't she originally think it sounded like a lovely Indian name smile

plainjanine Mon 20-Jan-14 14:52:00

MaryQueenOfSpots, I like what you did there, but us Janine's are not all arseholes. ;-)

BronzeHorseman Mon 20-Jan-14 14:56:21

Marmaduke (though I reckon that Gaylord is worse) and Hortense.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 20-Jan-14 19:28:43

Hebe.

All other names are fine.

ZingSweetApple Mon 20-Jan-14 19:31:41

twin girls Vanilla and Cinnamon

boys: Hero, Snake, Fox

hattymattie Mon 20-Jan-14 19:33:29

I met a German girl called Wiltrude once pronounced Viltrude.

blueemerald Mon 20-Jan-14 19:33:39

Younger twin sisters of a boy I teach called Meek and Mild. Yes, there are religious connotations but imagine going through life introducing yourself as Mild. We have regular discussions at work about which twin has the worse deal.

monkeymamma Mon 20-Jan-14 22:08:06

I luuuuuuurve the name Prudence (nn Pru)! So does my dh. We are both big Beatles fans. Lucky for any future dd of mine my mum has vetoed it (sensible).

UriGeller Tue 21-Jan-14 08:39:30

Goodness, little Kal-El's parents (well, Dad) is biiig superman fan. Goes to Comic Con dressed up and everything !

Or do you mean Miley-Rae?

When i was pregnant i wanted to call our dd Atman, its a Hindu word that means The spiritual life principle of the universe, residing in the individual's real self, without ego. Its like the true soul.

But it was kindly pointed out by someone not subject to pregnancy hormones that it sounds a lot like "Batman". grin

Lancelottie Tue 21-Jan-14 08:43:00

I was genuinely struck dumb this week by Foxglove, but given how many Daisies, Poppies and Lilies we know, hey, why not?

tattychicken Tue 21-Jan-14 09:14:12

Little girl with first name Chelsea, middle names Stamford Bridge. sad

LinghamStyle Tue 21-Jan-14 09:22:44

I don't like names. I think we should all just have numbers.

RayPurchase Tue 21-Jan-14 09:28:03

Ooh... I know a Kal-El too! Maybe there's a few of them out there.

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Tue 21-Jan-14 09:47:48

Uri - no, I know of a kalel with an Indian dad.... There's more than one! I love it, it really suits him.

peggylane Tue 21-Jan-14 12:59:20

I love the ignorance of people on here saying things like: I live abroad and they have strange names over here, shock horror, as well as a strange sounding language and different culture- who would believe it??? As a foreigner myself living in the UK I can assure you that there are lots of English/ Scottish/ Welsh names that sounded strange or indeed foreign to me when I first arrived but I would have never dreamed of making fun of them as I understood that for everybody living here they were perfectly normal and part of the culture....
I totally agree with everybody that said that names are a very personal thing and it's simply rude to sneer at somebody's very personal choice and be childish about it.

mellicauli Tue 21-Jan-14 13:14:46

Rapunzel?

whitepuddingsupper Tue 21-Jan-14 16:50:49

There's a Kal-El at my DD's nursery, I never knew about the superman thing I thought it was middle eastern or something.

ZingSweetApple Tue 21-Jan-14 18:09:36

Nicolas Cage named his son Kal-El too.

mummyjanine Tue 21-Jan-14 18:12:25

How is that Kal-El pronounced??

blueemerald Tue 21-Jan-14 19:22:50

I totally agree that 'names are a very personal thing'. They are personal to the people they are given to not given by. This is why parents need to put their own egos aside when naming those children and think about the future ramifications. If you love Chelsea (to pick one example) so much change your name don't inflict that on a baby.

AngelsInWinter Tue 21-Jan-14 19:27:54

K-Dan
Dante

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now