(104 Posts)
Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:30:00

Just met a little girl and nursery called zooey, not Zoe, Zooey pronounced ZooE what do you think to this name? I quite like it!

Auntierosemary Tue 28-Jan-14 20:21:00

Even people with ordinary names often have to spell them out - claire/Clare, Ann/Anne, Vicky/Vicki etc. so I wouldn't can't that as a reason to discount Zooey.

HellsGranny Fri 24-Jan-14 07:18:24

I don't like Zooey mainly because I'm intensely irritated by Zooey Deschanel.

As someone who spent many years having to spell my surname, for the love of all things holy, please don't call your child Zuey. Just think of how many times you have to give your name, now imagine having to say 'no not Zooey, Z-U-E-Y' every time. Your daughter won't thank you for it.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Fri 24-Jan-14 06:01:14

OP you are a good sport. Hope you're not too upset. My kids' names have been variously described here as boring, Americanised and drippy. I might start calling them that actually, Drippy would really suit ds2 at the mo, as he has a rotten cold.

Anyway I digress. My bessie is called Zoë, and I love it. Not keen on Zooey, just reminds me of Gooey or Fluey.

My face girls name for ds2 was Hetty, which I think goes nicely with Tilly.

Auntierosemary Thu 23-Jan-14 21:41:26

I like Zooey, and I prefer it pronounced "zuey" like "chop suey" as someone else said. That's how I always said it in my head when I read Franny and Zooey. Who says a baby girl can't be named after a male character in a book? And who says there's only one way to pronounce any name? Go for it.

KareKare Thu 23-Jan-14 21:24:59

Zuey?? What fresh hell is that?

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 23-Jan-14 21:19:48

Yes it was a real post and that's why men shouldn't be trusted to name babies! He never knew an Evie and spelt it as he thought best. He also thought it was nice that both our names ended EE.

softlysoftly Thu 23-Jan-14 17:17:03

I don't like Zooey, it sounds made up, but you should totally prioritise the poster who added random "eees" to their child's name above my feedback.

Seriously, Pokemon, tattoos? Was that a real post?

Anyway I like Lyla and it goes perfectly with Tilly, also a beautiful name. Neither of which we can use as our surname makes every first name sound like a disease sad

Please please don't use Willa, not because I don't like the name (it's ok) but because at some point you will be tired / stressed enough to jumble Tilly and Willa and will call loudly across the park "Come HERE Willy and Tilla!"

I think you should use Eliza, just because we can't and it's beautiful.

moggle Thu 23-Jan-14 16:59:44

You could combine the two and call her 'ZoFlora'...
(joke by the way, I think that is a disinfectant ...)
I don't like Zooey, prefer Zoey if you don't like Zoe, but obvs Zoey really has to be pronounced same as Zoe. The other problem with Zoe in general is that there is a Renault car called Zoe now.... probably won't be an issue but who knows!
I think this is the most use my Z key has ever had.

moggle Thu 23-Jan-14 16:55:59

Can I admit I read Catcher in the Rye and never realised Zooey was male until this thread... oops...

mathanxiety Thu 23-Jan-14 16:08:51

I agree if you've used the exact spelling of a famous actress or singer or whatever, then it looks as if you just copied and the only reasons to just copy would be lack of imagination or ardent devotion to the celebrity.

I also think, as spelled, it looks like the way pigs are called in hog calling contests at state fairs in the US 'Suuuuuuuuuuuuuey'

SirChenjin Thu 23-Jan-14 13:02:22

It sounds like you are a massive fan of the highly irritating actress Zooey Deschanel

yoyomum2013 Thu 23-Jan-14 12:57:26

How about Hattie or Lottie ?

I did not think Flora was the name for gut bacteria? Flora means native plant species, think flora and fauna?
The goddess Flora was goddess of the flowers?

I would never ever have associated Flora with gut bacteria...

Tibby2 Thu 16-Jan-14 16:56:08

Thank you for the positive opinions there seem to be quite a few in favour! smile

ElizabethBathory Thu 16-Jan-14 14:44:14

Even though I know Zooey Deschanel's name is pronounced Zoe I always say Zoo-ey in my head because it's far more interesting smile OP, if you want to call your child Zooey and pronounce it Zoo-ey, you can! I reckon a lot of people would ask whether it's pronounced Zoe or Zooey rather than assuming one or the other, and once they know, they know. Zuey doesn't look half as pretty, somehow.

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 16-Jan-14 11:42:54

tibby2 people can be VERY RUDE on babynames. Worse than AIBU sometimes. Try not to get upset

LondonNinja Thu 16-Jan-14 11:36:21

Nah. Don't like.

Soo didn't do Sooty's girlfriend any harm grin

Go on! Do it. Then watch em change it at 18......

It's as bad as Soo for Sue. Ridiculous.

Astarael Thu 16-Jan-14 08:30:19

OP I knew two sisters called Tilly and Lilah. I think they go really well together. They are actuallyMatilda and Delilah but mostly known by the shortenings.

JapaneseMargaret Thu 16-Jan-14 08:14:55

This thread is comedy gold. grin

southerngirl25599 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:34:25

I really like the name Zooey and I don't mind Zuey but I prefer Zooey.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 15-Jan-14 21:41:17

Zooey is ridiculous, in my opinion.

HaroldLloyd Wed 15-Jan-14 20:05:15

Flora is nice, goes well with Tilly. They are both more unusual yet classic older names.

BabyMummy29 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:57:29

To me it just looks and sounds like somebody who has misspelt Zoe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now