Zooey

(104 Posts)
Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:30:00

Just met a little girl and nursery called zooey, not Zoe, Zooey pronounced ZooE what do you think to this name? I quite like it!

Auntierosemary Thu 23-Jan-14 21:41:26

I like Zooey, and I prefer it pronounced "zuey" like "chop suey" as someone else said. That's how I always said it in my head when I read Franny and Zooey. Who says a baby girl can't be named after a male character in a book? And who says there's only one way to pronounce any name? Go for it.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Fri 24-Jan-14 06:01:14

OP you are a good sport. Hope you're not too upset. My kids' names have been variously described here as boring, Americanised and drippy. I might start calling them that actually, Drippy would really suit ds2 at the mo, as he has a rotten cold.

Anyway I digress. My bessie is called Zoë, and I love it. Not keen on Zooey, just reminds me of Gooey or Fluey.

My face girls name for ds2 was Hetty, which I think goes nicely with Tilly.

HellsGranny Fri 24-Jan-14 07:18:24

I don't like Zooey mainly because I'm intensely irritated by Zooey Deschanel.

As someone who spent many years having to spell my surname, for the love of all things holy, please don't call your child Zuey. Just think of how many times you have to give your name, now imagine having to say 'no not Zooey, Z-U-E-Y' every time. Your daughter won't thank you for it.

Auntierosemary Tue 28-Jan-14 20:21:00

Even people with ordinary names often have to spell them out - claire/Clare, Ann/Anne, Vicky/Vicki etc. so I wouldn't can't that as a reason to discount Zooey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now