Zooey

(104 Posts)
Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:30:00

Just met a little girl and nursery called zooey, not Zoe, Zooey pronounced ZooE what do you think to this name? I quite like it!

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:30:20

At nursery not and!

Naicecuppatea Wed 15-Jan-14 12:32:02

Don't like it sorry, or even Zoe, think it will constantly get mispronounced and sounds a bit too much like zoo.

Like Zooey. Much prefer it to Zoe.

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:35:23

Yeah i don't like Zoe at all but really like Zooey they look similar on paper but sound quite different i think.

loisismyhero Wed 15-Jan-14 12:35:29

Franny and Zooey is one of my favourite books. I've always liked the name.

SparklingMuppet Wed 15-Jan-14 12:50:36

My personal opinion is that it is ridiculous. Zooey Deschanel's parent's have a lot to answer for.

squoosh Wed 15-Jan-14 13:25:22

Zooey is pronounced Zoe.

Poor kid.

Zooey is not pronounced Zoo-ey though. It's pronounced the same as Zoe.

I don't like it either way.

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:36:18

How would you spell Zooey to be pronounced Zooey? I would of thought due to the actress ppl would read it ZooE when spelt zooey? I definitely would.

florascotia Wed 15-Jan-14 13:39:11

In Salingers' story Zooey is MALE - a young man. And it's a nickname.
His real name is Zachary Martin Glass.

squoosh Wed 15-Jan-14 13:39:35

No, I assumed most people would just think Zooey was an alternate spelling of Zoe.

The only way I'd think it was pronounced Zoo-E, would be if it was spelt Zoo-E, and I wouldn't recommend that!

Zooey Deschanel's first name is pronounced Zoe.

Zooey pronounced Zoo-ey is an incorrect pronunciation. I probably would have researched it before using it.

FaerieBells Wed 15-Jan-14 13:42:37

Zuey would do it. Like chop suey. Or Huey Lewis and the News.

'Zooey' just looks like 'I have named my baby after a famous actress because I have no imagination'.

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 14:03:52

Ok so Zooey dechanel is pronounced Zoë but is spelt like Zooey from the salinger book which as he is a man im guessing isnt supposed to be pronounced as Zoë so surely spelt like Zooey can be pronounced as zooE? Confused!

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 14:12:11

Don't agree it says that person has no imagination just because someone famous has that name. There are many famous actresses and actors out there that doesn't mean if you name your child the same your lacking imagination, just the same as if you name your child the same as someone from a piece of literature ect You could argue from that, that unless you make up your own name from thin air you lack imagination? Popular names like sophie and olivia hardly require parents to have an active imagination do they?

squoosh Wed 15-Jan-14 14:12:35

In the book I assume Salinger imagines Zooey to be pronounced Zoo-E, but as already mentioned it isn't the (male) character's actual name. And every other Zooey has been a Zoe.

Honestly, your plans sound like they'll be a major headache for your daughter.

gruffalosfriend Wed 15-Jan-14 14:14:59

There's a little boy called Zooey at Cubs and he pronounces it Zoo-ey.

Salinger never confirmed the pronunciation but his publisher has said that the male character was pronounced Zoe as well.

The pronunciation Zoo-ey is not nice, sounds daft and has no basis in literature or reality.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 15-Jan-14 14:44:19

Every time I come across a mention of that actress I think 'ridiculous name'.

Tibby2 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:45:36

Me and DH both like it; if we use it we will spell it Zuey as I've found a few ppl on the internet who spell it that way to avoid confusion. I personally would love to have a completely unique name, after all you could have a totally normal name, you'll still get stick for something thats life and people are ignorant sad but true.

Zuey is utterly woeful but it's your prerogative to burden your child with whichever made up name you see fit. More's the pity.

Zoe is lovely. Zoo-ee (which I always think in my head when I see that absurd spelling) is utterly ridiculous.

Zuey?? What fresh hell is that?

HyvaPaiva Wed 15-Jan-14 16:53:48

Zuey?? What fresh hell is that?

This.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now