Horrific names from your family tree

(156 Posts)
Fantail Tue 14-Jan-14 21:12:19

We have been working a little bit on DH's family tree lately. There are some hmm names in there but none more horrific than a little boy in the 1800s named Ethelbert who grew up in East London.

Have you come across any in your family?

MummyPig24 Fri 17-Jan-14 05:59:44

There's a Jabez way back who was sent to Australia as punishment for stealing a sheep.

And this will definitely out me to those who know me well. My great grandfather was called Dick Bonaventure. Yes, I know.

SecretWitch Fri 17-Jan-14 06:14:53

I have a Cruickshank, Mathilda, Violetta, Prudence, Edgar, and Salem in my family tree.

lanbro Fri 17-Jan-14 06:43:47

Lucinda is definitely not horrific!

mummyjanine Fri 17-Jan-14 07:20:58

My name.... Janine confused

ComposHat Fri 17-Jan-14 07:45:37

I have a great great great aunt waho was called Appelina which I used to think was hilarious, but now quite like.

Not so much unusual names but my gran is completely in denial about her Jewish family roots. My mum has done the family tree and will pull out names like Issac and Rachel Goldberg (tailors) and my Gran will say stuff like ' don't be stupid of course they aren't Jewish'

Livvylongpants Fri 17-Jan-14 07:53:53

I have a great aunt Gertrude, we have a picture of her hidden in the loft she looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp and as children used to cower in fear it her staring at us from the wall.

We also have a rhia... Doesn't sound too bad until you read her last name which is lee. Rhia lee, is like something out of a joke book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now