Diana

(15 Posts)
Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 15:15:37

Could this be useable, do you think? Or has it, as a name, moved completely into the realms of being too strongly associated with one person? I like it blush

Kikibee Tue 14-Jan-14 15:17:46

Hated the connection to POW but now no an absolutely gorgeous Diana, never really think of the dead women, just reminds me of said girl hth smile

PeterParkerSays Tue 14-Jan-14 15:18:49

I don't know about it being too associated with one person but I do think it's old fashioned so wouldn't use it. I'm also not keen on names which can be easily abbreviated, and having a baby / toddler called Di by other people would grate with me.

squoosh Tue 14-Jan-14 15:18:58

I like it but the associations are quite strong. However if I really loved it I think I'd use it.

squoosh Tue 14-Jan-14 15:19:21

Dinah is nice too but more unusual.

Mim78 Tue 14-Jan-14 15:21:17

It's not like being called Elvis or Kylie imo because it was a fairly popular name before Princess Diana. Sounds a bit old fashioned to me, but that is probably just me.

There is also the issue of pronunciation because I have a feeling posh people pronounce it with the emphasis on the Di rather than on the ana iyswim. As per the Queen in the film with same name!

Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 15:25:25

I actually associate it with Diana Mitford as well, which is also not a good thing. And I hate 'Di'. There's just something about the full name though...and I love the way it looks written down too.

NadiaWadia Tue 14-Jan-14 15:49:36

There are plenty of other Dianas. Diana Ross, for example.

UriGeller Tue 14-Jan-14 15:51:38

If you choose it, be prepared for 99% of people to call her 'Diane'. I know a lovely Diana who is in her 50's and has given up correcting people. I correct people for her now!

squoosh Tue 14-Jan-14 15:51:40

Actually forget Princess Diana, I've just remembered Diana Athill, surely she must be Queen of the Dianas. Love her.

Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 15:57:29

Hmm Uri, good point. About 50% of people miss the 'a' off the end of my own name, so I do understand the frustration and embarrassment of correcting people. However, I still love my name!

Just thought of another great Diana - Diana Barry from Anne of Green Gables! smile

squoosh Tue 14-Jan-14 16:01:56

And Anne was very jealous of Diana's name.

Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 18:47:42

True... I'm keeping it on my list.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 14-Jan-14 18:55:07

I like it. I love Dinah though.

emmyloo2 Wed 15-Jan-14 06:36:09

Love it. Had it on my list for DD who is 8 months old. I liked it because I thought it was classic, completely underused and very pretty.

Absolutely do it. It would make such a nice change from all the Ellies, Evies, and Edies and Chloes etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now