Thoughts on Foster as a boy's name

(84 Posts)
Amiasmummy Mon 13-Jan-14 20:29:14

I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea and to be honest, when my OH first suggested it I wasn't a fan. I thought people would think he was named after the beer. BUT it's really grown on me and now out of the few names we have agreed on it has become my favourite. (The beer thing obviously no longer bothers me). What are people's thoughts on the name? (Without being plain rude please) grin

colditz Sat 08-Feb-14 09:46:22

I wasn't being flippant, it's horrid. A large proportion of people who meet your son will feel sorry for him because of a choice you made. is that what you were aiming for?

You asked for opinions. Maybe you need to suffix that with "but not opinions I don't agree with"

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 21:37:52

ok, but I think it's still better that total strangers are honest with you than your family and friends are being polite, but possibly thinking the same.

if someone thinks it's horrid it's a valid opinion and not rude because it wasn't unpropmted!
you do need to realize you will get what you asked for!wink

Amiasmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 21:00:15

Guilty as charged. Although, being relatively new to nn, I didn't realise the full extent of the manners shortage at the time I started this thread blush There are nicer ways to disagree with someone's preference than 'Don't. It's horrid'

I've previously said that I'm still open to name suggestions, which would be more helpful than flippant (and sometimes hurtful) comments.

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 20:44:17

Amia

you did ask for opinions though - did you not? hmm

Amiasmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 20:32:53

That's your opinion, not fact.

colditz Fri 07-Feb-14 19:43:41

Don't, it's horrid.

Amiasmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 19:38:34

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the name smile And I'm glad you didn't let other people's opinions deter you from naming your son Miller - what a great name! As is Cooper.

I don't necessarily gravitate towards surnamey names. I'm not sure that I could actually categorise the style of names that I like - I just like what I like (mn approved or not) lol

Vicki070712 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:53:27

I love Foster, had it on my list people did mention the beer thing too as we already had a wee boy called Miller which some people did ask if he was named after the beer but he's not, just like surname 1st names. We ended up calling our other baby Cooper. Other names we considered were,
Fletcher
Tate
Leighton
Harris

Amiasmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 11:52:39

I quite like Forrest! OH isn't keen though hmm

Umlauf Fri 07-Feb-14 11:17:29

I'm not keen either, I hadn't thought of the beer but did think of foster care, but mainly because I'm not too sure on the aesthetics of it. I do think it is more difficult to find prettier sounding boys' names though. I think it's the harsher consonants of the s and t together, whereas Arron/Arran, Liam, Joel are all softer sounds.

I really like Forrest though, someone previously mentioned that name, lovely!

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 11:05:17

No

Beer or Foster care - just why? there are so many wonderful names out there.

I never get these weird ones

Amiasmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 10:47:45

In all honesty, we're not likely to refer to him by his full name on a regular basis - so I don't think it would be an issue grin

I'm intrigued to know what your middle name is now! Lol

BobaFetaCheese Thu 06-Feb-14 22:28:31

I doubt Dick for Richard will be in the conciousness of most of his peers, as Richard is such an uncommon name now it'll probably be Fozzy Richie/Rik, it's no Fozzy Bear but it's still nice grin

I have a godawful, very bully-able (new word!) middle name (which is really popular on MN) and it wasn't discovered by my school chums until 6th form (someone read a file), so if he's not a fan of it or makes the Dick connection, he may not mention it?

Amiasmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 19:19:13

I love the nn Fozzy Bear grin may have to invest in a little bow tie and bowler hat lol. He would be Foster Richard though (family name) - hopefully the nn Fozzy Dick won't catch on!?

BobaFetaCheese Thu 06-Feb-14 18:11:00

I didn't like it at first (first thought was the doctor, forgot about the beer) but the nickname Fozzy is amazing!!
You should call him Foster Edward so he can be Fozzie Bear, although not sure the class of 2020 will know who he is?

I like Arran & Joel too, thought prefer William to Liam.

I find boys names hard, both of ours were nameless for days/weeks as we couldn't agree....and ds2 is on his third first name at 6 months!

Amiasmummy Wed 05-Feb-14 20:01:35

That's fab Koltonsmomm!! I still think it's a lovely name, and it will likely end up being 'the one' grin We've not found another name we prefer. I love the fact that it's not commonly used! OH is very smug, as it was his suggestion. Lol.

Callahan is quite a cool name, but not grabbing me... possibly one too many syllables to go with the rest of the name. Foster (Fozzy) still wins wink

koltonsmomm Wed 05-Feb-14 13:59:53

Another name we loved just in case you may like it too is Callahan.

koltonsmomm Wed 05-Feb-14 13:56:39

x

koltonsmomm Wed 05-Feb-14 13:56:24

We had our second son in October and we named him Foster and call him Fozzy! My husband picked it and I loved it right away. When we told our friends and family pretty much everyone loved his name! It is a pretty unique name and names grow on everyone! I say go for it!

Amiasmummy Sat 01-Feb-14 11:10:20

Thanks babytalk, it's reassuring to know that not everyone is beer obsessed grin

Babytalkobsession Sat 01-Feb-14 09:25:11

I like it and didn't think of any of the associations mentioned here. The beer is Fosters not Foster btw...totally different imo. Love the nn too.

Go for it if you love it.

Amiasmummy Thu 30-Jan-14 18:16:51

lljkk, that's a valid point but we're using a family name as a middle name so would really rather not use family names (or similar to) for first name.

Amiasmummy Thu 30-Jan-14 18:13:14

Thank you penguin thanks Yes, Amia is my daughter's name. It means 'beloved' and just seemed right.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 30-Jan-14 18:03:35

Foster (child)
Foster (son)
Foster (care)
and don't forget the beer!
Not massively keen.
I like Joel.

lljkk Thu 30-Jan-14 18:02:41

ps: late Xpost...my step-sis's husband has same name as DS1. It never even crossed my mind to think that was a conflict. Lots of names get repeated in families, it's doesn't have to be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now