Sofia, Elena or Isabella?

(21 Posts)
BartBaby Sun 12-Jan-14 20:44:33

Still can't decide on a name for dd1.

DH's suggestion was Alexandra but I'm not keen.

AnneWentworth Sun 12-Jan-14 20:46:19

All lovely but I do live Elena.

DessieLou Sun 12-Jan-14 21:45:32

Elena is gorgeous! Closely followed by Alexandra.

wigglesrock Sun 12-Jan-14 21:53:34

I have an 8 year old Sofia (dd1) My third daughter was going to be Elena, but I just wasn't sure that it be pronounced the way I wanted it to be (there's an Elena thread about), so I picked a different name smile .

All 3 are lovely but Sofia is my favourite smile .

Berlina Sun 12-Jan-14 21:57:10

I might be (slightly! wink) biased but definitely Isabella!

Clargo55 Sun 12-Jan-14 22:44:46

Elena, love it. Do you have any middle names in mind? If its a family name or something it may sway the first name choice smile

Vikkijayne2507 Sun 12-Jan-14 23:29:11

isabella I love as can be shortened to belle and Bella

Dancingdreamer Sun 12-Jan-14 23:35:05

I know an Elena and no one is sure how to pronounce the name. Gets Eleanor, El-len-a, El-lane-a and El-een-a! Also gets shortened to Len which personally I hate.

Isabella is lovely but seems to be everywhere these days so I personally would avoid. Sophia also popular and get shortened to Sof which I also hate.

What about Ella?

BartBaby Mon 13-Jan-14 06:52:41

We're open to middle names. Nothing decided yet. We were thinking Elena Sofia. But I quite liked Sofia aswell so I just don't know what to do!

wigglesrock Mon 13-Jan-14 06:55:49

My Sofia gets Fia occasionally as a nickname.

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 13-Jan-14 06:58:40

My favourite is Elena, but you would have to be very clear on how you intend it to be pronounced if you are in the UK, as you might get the Italian version (more similar to Eleanor) or the Spanish/Eastern European version (Elayna)

Isabella is hugely popular at the moment. (if that matters to you)

Sofia reminds me of Loren (the greatest actress of her generation (in her own words wink so irritates me a bit!)

Flossiechops Mon 13-Jan-14 07:02:08

Isabella - May be quite popular but a beautiful classy name imo.

BartBaby Mon 13-Jan-14 19:32:37

We would pronounce it E-lay-na. But once you have told people I don't see it as a problem.

I think Isabella might be a bit too popular.

Any more votes?

Mrsindecision Mon 13-Jan-14 20:29:41

Sofia would get my vote.

Dancingdreamer Mon 13-Jan-14 20:34:46

From personal experience of having a name no one knows how to pronounce I personally wouldn't choose such a name. I always have to correct people which as infuriating. Plus my mother was furious as they mispronounced my name at my graduation. She always felt that I hadn't graduated properly!

Mim78 Tue 14-Jan-14 14:57:56

They are all nice. I like Sofia best I think.

Mim78 Tue 14-Jan-14 14:59:30

With Elena, you might have been thinking she is called Helena but not pronouncing her hs.

This is something that irritated by great grandmother - she was called Ellen but changed it to Helen because she was sick of people thinking this was her name but that she was dropping hs!

BartBaby Wed 22-Jan-14 13:04:07

Thanks for all the input. Were still undecided. Although I have pretty much ruled out Isabella due to its popularity.

Weve also added Eleanor into the mix aswell as a possibility. But i just have no clue!

Rachaelandbabysofia Wed 22-Jan-14 15:34:13

Oooh Sofia grin not that am being biased

therunnawaybride Thu 23-Jan-14 12:44:07

I like them all but Isabella is my fave! (But I am also totally bias!) it's not that popular where we live either I've only met one other in 3yrs

BartBaby Sun 26-Jan-14 07:39:46

So were pretty level on votes so far. Any more ideas ladies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now