How much do children's initials matter? What if they make an embarrassing or cool acronym?! (and would any of you give all your kids the same letter Christian name like the Kardashians?!!)

(20 Posts)
wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:34:04

Haha... just thinking about it and it's all starting to amuse me. But seriously- initials matter, right? Not least for the future personalised registration plates that I'm clearly NOT buying them at 17 (unlike a bunch of the kids at Peter Symonds 6th Form in Hampshire-- *not joking*).

Beccadugs Sat 11-Jan-14 15:45:21

I read an article in the BBC about the importance of initials spelling out happy or sad things and this having an impact on life expectancy, which seems fairly far fetched and I can't find it...

I am going to try to keep initials seperate as can cause problems with post!!

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 15:58:17

Haha... me too! I was v amused at secondary when I met a family with all the same initials... it's fun but surely not what serious people do, right?!! Also good for kids to have very separate identities I feel. The Kardashians don't really get a lot of breathing space from their family, do they? Even in terms of their names!!

Weeantwee Sat 11-Jan-14 16:05:27

I know someone who has called their 3 children names starting with the letter 'M'. All the names are a bit different but it suits them.

I think it's important to think about initials so that they don't spell out something embarrassing but I always wanted my middle name to start with an 'A' so my initials would be CAT grin

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 11-Jan-14 16:08:30

One persons 'cool' could be another persons 'embarrassing'.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 11-Jan-14 16:11:06

Err why the mention of the school in your first post?

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 11-Jan-14 16:11:23

First ever post, that is.

Weeantwee Sat 11-Jan-14 16:14:26

One persons 'cool' could be another persons 'embarrassing'.

That's very true, but I was referring to something like STD

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 16:56:26

Oh... sorry here's some context re the school comment. I'm from the North. But I have lived in the South. And at the local 6th form round here several kids have cars with personalised registration plates on them. I kid you not. I may be being judgemental (apologies to anyone who's kid has been featured on My Super Sweet 16 or similar- one of the episodes was actually filmed near where I have been living)... so I was being sarcastic!! But if any of you choose to buy a car with a personalised registration plate... don't let my sarcasm detract you!! Hahahaha.... I just personally wouldn't even have one myself let along give one to my 17 year old!! Haaa

Bunbaker Sat 11-Jan-14 16:59:57

Where I work our email addresses used our initials, so yes, it does matter.

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 17:00:14

STD? So funny!! Anyone think that 'J' and 'K' initials are just over-used? They do trip off the tongue though don't they? And has anyone else had the experience of knowing more than one A.J. (male) and them always, ALWAYS being popular kids? Is that because their name is cool and they grow INTO the cool name? Or is it because cool PARENTS name their kids A.J. and hence they are naturally conferred with the intial and enculturisation of cool? (I am being slightly facetious here... also... can I just add that one thing that actually really worries me is how obsessed this generation's parents/ churches/ schools etc. are with the concept of 'cool' which officially did not exist until the 1950's anyway and never as a facet of public, adult life in serious sectors until the late 80's- just a small sociological aside... ;-))

randdom Sat 11-Jan-14 17:12:54

I don't think they matter too much but it is worth thinking about. One of the names we were considering if our baby is a boy would have given him the initials asbo so once we realised we obviously didn't do that...

Also if you have more that one child it is worth considering initials. My sister can I both had the initials r e surname and it was a nightmare knowing who post was for!

bakingtins Sat 11-Jan-14 17:16:27

If our baby is a girl I'd like to give her a 'm' first name and our surname is 'R'. Problem is we'd always intended for middle name to be Margaret after Great-Granny. MMR could be an issue!
However, I never use my middle name or initial for anything, very few people know what my middle name is, so maybe it doesn't matter.

ParenthoodJourney Sat 11-Jan-14 17:16:44

STD haha! My DSs are HP so I always call him HP sauce grin

sandyballs Sat 11-Jan-14 17:19:23

DD doesn't like the fact her initials are SEN hmm

Weeantwee Sat 11-Jan-14 17:21:56

I know a 2 year old J.J. I think he's a John James or maybe James John...

My brother's initials are TRT. I call him a tart just to wind him up sometimes grin

sleepingbeautiful Sat 11-Jan-14 20:09:41

My maiden name initials spelled the short version of my first name, which everyone at school thought was very cool! I wouldn't want them to spell something obviously bad like POO, but I think people get too worried about quite obscure references.
I wouldn't give everyone the same initial because it's a bit twee for me. Also I have the same initial as hubby and it is a pain with deliveries and stuff sometimes.

nooka Sat 11-Jan-14 20:31:11

dh and I share fist and last initials and it can be a bit of a nuisance, so names beginning with our first initial were off the cards for our children, which was a bit of a shame as there are lots of nice names starting with that letter, and then after ds when dd was born there was one lass letter to choose from again. Not a huge deal though really. We checked to make sure that their initials weren't silly but that was about it. Funnily enough ds's initials are A.J. and there was a thread about J middle names with A first names fairly recently. I didn't really think anything of it, I think using the sound of initials as a name is slightly naff in any case (I do know an Ajay but he is Indian in origin and it's not an unusual name).

Giving all your children the same initial especially when it's a large family to me is really kitschy and naff, especially when you have to distort the names to make it 'work' like the Kardashians or or the Duggars (Jinger??)

Lozza70 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:28:51

We did think about the initials as our surname is AG so there were lots of names I felt we could not go with as it would make a word. FAG, SAG, HAG etc. never a good look stitched into a teenagers sports kit at school......

JCMSD Sun 12-Jan-14 05:33:01

My two DC share the same first initial. Tbh I was a bit unsure about doing it when DC2 came along as I think it can be a bit twee but we loved the name and couldn't come up with anything better so went for it.

On the post front, I wonder how much paper post will be sent in 10 years time anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now