Two middle names-- is it poncey? Or giving them more options?

(31 Posts)
wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 08:54:36

Hi we have named my DD with one middle name but I'd like to give her another one four good measure when she is Chrtiustened (and in case I don't have another DD). I think it's classy to have two but friends keep telling me it's poncery-- am I wrong?!

I intend to give my DC two middle names. Both my DParents and my PILs have lovely names so I will have one of each as middle names.

I don't think it's poncey!

lilacjellybean Sat 11-Jan-14 09:01:13

I have two middle names and it does drive me a bit mad when filling in forms etc but I don't think it's particularly poncey.

SmallBee Sat 11-Jan-14 09:03:53

Our DD has two middle names as well. We'd narrowed her actual name down to one of those two but decided when she was born her name was something else so she got both as middle names because we couldn't choose.
Frankly I don't care if it's poncy. There's nothing wrong with a bit of ponce! grin

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 09:12:29

Haha up the ponciness! Or the it-isn't-poncey-if-you-love-it-ness! Great!! Truth is the only person I ever aware of having two....was a private school boy I met at my fancy university and...we State schoolers used to rip it out of him. But I'm all for class mobility and mixing it!!

Worriedthistimearound Sat 11-Jan-14 16:15:50

I don't think it's poncey but I don't think it's classy either. It just is! I have 3 boys and the eldest has 2mns after his GFs. The other two just have one. They are never used or referred to so in the long run I wonder what the point is. It can be a pain to fill in forms though as ds1's name doesn't always fit.

Worriedthistimearound Sat 11-Jan-14 16:16:53

If it's not on her BC though then it won't be official so you won't be using it on forms I guess.

Rosencrantz Sat 11-Jan-14 16:17:38

I think it's a bit poncey to add names in later!

wholesomemum Sat 11-Jan-14 17:05:42

No I know... I'm probably being silly. And can I add thanks for the perspective Rosencrantz... will you are Guildenstern be suppering with the prince or will bedtime story tonight be an oration from the writings of Sir Tom Stoppard? ;-) LOL

I have two middle names. The second one only goes on official forms, so not too much of a pain, and I tend to keep it a bit quiet anyway, but that is mostly because I really dislike the second middle name. TBH, it very very rarely comes up, middle names aren't generally discussed much, I'm sure that some of my close friends wouldn't have a clue that I have two middle names and even what either of them are!

treaclesoda Sat 11-Jan-14 17:24:08

aww, my ds has two middle names, I had no idea people might think it poncey.

Poncey and proud here grin

Oriunda Sat 11-Jan-14 18:05:59

DS has two middle names (on birth cert). First mn is my father/brother's mn, second is DH choice. Tbh if not on birth cert then the second mn will never come to light/be used other than just the once at the christening, so a little bit pointless IMHO.

Bowlersarm Sat 11-Jan-14 18:08:11

I don't think it's poncey at all. I would be surprised if anyone does!

JuliaScurr Sat 11-Jan-14 18:11:09

dd ended up with 3 names and a hyphen because we couldn't choose

eachtigertires Sat 11-Jan-14 19:27:12

I have 2 middle names and so do my siblings and most of my cousins. Never thought it was poncey, just nice because it's one name from each parent.

PirateSchool Sun 12-Jan-14 08:04:05

DH has 2 middle names, definitely not poncey. He likes having 2, and we gave DS1 2 middle names. I think it has become far more common - I know loads of children with 2 middle names, often it is one name from each side of the family which I think is nice.

crumpeteer Sun 12-Jan-14 17:00:22

The more the merrier smile

squoosh Sun 12-Jan-14 17:25:58

I don't think it's poncey but I don't think it gives more options either. Who turns around at 25 and thinks 'hmmmm I'm a bit bored of Lily now, think I'll swap over to one of my middle names'.

MrsMcEnroe Sun 12-Jan-14 17:35:05

I have two middle names and so does my DD. I don't think either of us are particularly poncey smile

barmybunting Sun 12-Jan-14 20:17:10

I think it's becoming more common to have 2 mns now. I am a primary school teacher, I love seeing my new class lists each year to see all of the names! The point in this being that I would say about 40% of my classes in the last 3 years have had 2 middle names. Often the 2nd one being the mother's maiden name if surname is dad's.

GingerPCatt Sun 12-Jan-14 20:25:59

DS has two middle names. The first is a name that means a lot to DH and I but is a bit odd (he has a very popular normal first name) and the second is my maiden name which is never used as a first name. Since I'm an only child and took DH's surname I though it was important for my maiden name to be passed on. DS will only use it on official forms unless he wants to use it more when he's older.

Twinkletron Mon 13-Jan-14 08:36:12

I have two middle names as does my son. I have a very common first name so loved having two middle names

Florrieboo Tue 14-Jan-14 03:27:22

DD has two middle names, don't care if it's poncey, we just liked how the 3 names sounded together with our surname.

Melonbreath Tue 14-Jan-14 09:44:57

Dd has two, I have FOUR! I am the queen of ponce. And proud!
grin

Xmasbaby11 Tue 14-Jan-14 09:59:37

I think it's too much personally - just smacks of indecisiveness to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now