olive - love it or hate it?

(101 Posts)
aroha77 Sat 11-Jan-14 00:30:45

Found out today we're having a girl smile

Our favourite name is Olive, probably Olive Grace.

Both sets of grandparents-to-be HATE it cos it reminds them of character off 'on the buses'.

Wondering if I could take a poll on here of any lovers or haters of the name? Also how much should we take our parents' opinions into consideration?

And lastly does anyone have any better suggestions? Our criteria is nothing that sounds posh, or too cute or too quirky!

Thanks smile

Panzee Tue 14-Jan-14 23:20:30

O live it grin

OpalQuartz Tue 14-Jan-14 23:09:14

Thanks RedTooth

twentyfourcarat Tue 14-Jan-14 22:40:00

My niece is
Olive Grace, so I love it.

Mim78 Tue 14-Jan-14 16:14:55

I like it.

(I'm not that keen on Grace but probably only because it's so popular...)

ProfondoRosso Tue 14-Jan-14 16:08:11

I love it - Drew Barrymore's DD is Olive, and I really like her. And it makes me think of the amazing wee girl in Little Miss Sunshine.

Olivia is OK, but so ubiquitous right now (though that's no reason not to choose it). I'm too young to remember On the Buses, so it only has positive associations for me! grin

WaveySky Tue 14-Jan-14 16:02:49

I hate it. Just reminds me of olive oil or that popeye character.

RedToothBrush Tue 14-Jan-14 11:39:58

The site is brilliant.

It tells you how many children had that name provided 3 or more children were named using that exact spelling. Just hover over the graph to see the number of children.

It does amuse me when I see thread with people going "yes this name is so unusual and under used, and when you actually go and check its something like the 15th most popular name of last year and there are hundreds of the little X's running around all over the country!!!

OpalQuartz Tue 14-Jan-14 11:17:15

I like that website Banana. Does it tell you how many children had that name each year? (I might be missing it.)

BananaHammocks Tue 14-Jan-14 05:56:42

It's a bit too current for me. As some people have said, quite a few celebs have picked this name recently and look at the spike in popularity:

http://names.darkgreener.com/#olive

grotbags1 Mon 13-Jan-14 19:47:01

My DD is Olive Grace and she is 4. Its an awesome name imo!! She gets lots of compliments on it all the time. Never had a clue about any 'on the buses' association until reading this thread although people sometimes do ask her about Popeye. She has no clue what they are getting at though :-)

LittleMissRedSparklyBaubles Mon 13-Jan-14 19:46:41

Love it! Agree with poster above that Liv/Livvy is a nice nn too.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 13-Jan-14 19:42:12

It's a fruit. I prefer the black to the green, but then I have poor taste. Dislike pimento and anchovies intensely.

All the Olivia's I've known have been bitchy. But Olive is retro in a granny/hipster way that is quite cool. She will have too many olive dishes by the time she gets her own house.

aroha77 Mon 13-Jan-14 19:38:56

Thanks everyone! Will let you know what we decide in may/June...!

Discovered another (pretty random reason!) to love Olive this week - Psalm 128:3 'your children shall be like olive shoots around your table'

notundermyfoof Mon 13-Jan-14 18:06:33

I love it! I met one last week, a lovely little girl aged 5. People will always find fault with names before they belong to an actual person, thats why I didn't tell anyone what names I was considering for my dcs until they were born and we were 100% certain on their name.

Love it! Gorgeous name. Please don't let your family put you off! I've made that mistake and regretted it!

thegreylady Sun 12-Jan-14 19:19:27

I like Edith nn Edie which is a similar era.I tried to like Olive but I'm not keen. Ivy is a bit better perhaps or Ava.

I really dislike it. There are a few Olives around here already so it is, unfortunately, becoming quite popular in the South West.

It just sounds green and greasy to me.

hawkmcqueen Sun 12-Jan-14 18:54:05

Hate. I find it really unattractive and I hate olives!

ImpOfDarkness Sun 12-Jan-14 17:52:28

Dislike it I'm afraid. There's a crime novel by Minette Walters called The Sculptress with a morbidly obese and unattractive murderess called Olive.

I have a colleague called Olivette if you want something a bit different.

shelbytortoise Sun 12-Jan-14 17:25:25

Like it very much and more importantly so do you, which is all that counts.

My DD is Grace and we had similar with the grandparents not liking it or reminding them of old Aunty Grace etc...we wavered, very nearly called her something different and then found courage of our convictions and went with it.

10 years on she couldn't be anything else and everyone just loved it because it was her name and she was so scrummy!

Go for it OP

miffybun73 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:16:11

Hate it because of "On the Buses" too and I'm only 40 smile

SoonToBeSix Sun 12-Jan-14 13:23:10

Hate it sorry, like Olivia though

Ham69 Sun 12-Jan-14 13:20:49

Don't mind it (sorry! Neither love nor hate). Please don 't take any notice of grandparents. It's a generational thing. Do you honestly think DD will get 'On The Buses' jokes in the playground?

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Sun 12-Jan-14 12:38:15

I'm coming round to it. Years ago when Olivia was starting to be everywhere I thought about Olive as an alternative and felt a bit "meh" about it. But I keep hearing about baby Olives since then (although yet to meet one in RL) and it doesn't sound so odd now. I think it's definitely a name on the upswing. And I love Easy A; that's a good association for the name.

mammabear4 Sun 12-Jan-14 12:25:53

I love Olive, I'm 24 and absolutely none of my friends have heard of on the buses, so a couple of generations after mine it won't make the slightest difference! I have seen an episode as it was more my 67 year old grandma's era and it came on once when I was at her house a few years ago... But even my mum (who's 46) only vaguely remembered it being on and I doubt she'd really remember the Olive character. I think my grandma wouldn't be keen on the name but the older generation are never going to be keen on the names that are now becoming more fashionable which they see as outdated! For my LO (if it's a girl!) I would def consider Olive. Also keen on Nora, Kitty, Martha, Agnes, Iris.

My advice is - Go for it! It's unique and lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now