olive - love it or hate it?

(101 Posts)
aroha77 Sat 11-Jan-14 00:30:45

Found out today we're having a girl smile

Our favourite name is Olive, probably Olive Grace.

Both sets of grandparents-to-be HATE it cos it reminds them of character off 'on the buses'.

Wondering if I could take a poll on here of any lovers or haters of the name? Also how much should we take our parents' opinions into consideration?

And lastly does anyone have any better suggestions? Our criteria is nothing that sounds posh, or too cute or too quirky!

Thanks smile

Hate it. Ubiquitous as Olivia is, it has a much nicer sound. Far less plodding.

Oh, and On The Buses... smile

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Sat 11-Jan-14 09:59:24

I like it though prefer Olivine (both are family names for us).

I quite like it. Dd1 has an Olive in her class (shes 13) and she is lovely and uba trendy.

Just as another poster asked upthread i was also going to ask if you were kiwi (im going by your user name which just happens to be my Dd2s middle name).

Amrapaali Sat 11-Jan-14 10:45:28

Hate it.

ThursdayLast Sat 11-Jan-14 10:47:13

Love it!
And don't listen to family, people are crazy thoughtless about baby names. In RL I mean

It's lovely smile

redsquareyellowsquare Sat 11-Jan-14 11:10:17

love it. my only concern is that it is a bit too similar to Olivia which is v popular (and not as nice!!)

ShadowFall Sat 11-Jan-14 11:21:44

I don't like it.

Both because it's a fruit that I don't like, and a yucky colour.

But as for "On The Buses" - according to Wikipedia, that was broadcast from 1969 - 1973, so far too long ago to be worth worrying about.

sebsmummy1 Sat 11-Jan-14 11:23:47

Absolutely LOVE it. It's on my list too.

I think Drew Barrymore called her daughter Olive.

marmitelover Sat 11-Jan-14 11:28:26

All I would say is tell everyone to f,!? Off and choose the name that you want to call your child. It's nothing to do with anyone else! My husband and I have chosen a name for DS2 but will only announce to anyone else when he's born. Partly because I'm totally superstitious but also to avoid anyone feeling they have any right to tell us what we should call our child.

Viviennemary Sat 11-Jan-14 11:32:56

I don't like it at all I'm afraid. She will get called Olive Oil at school. Please don't.

jacksgrannie Sat 11-Jan-14 11:44:49

Horrid. We had an Olive at school and she hated her name (and that was 50 years ago). It's such a nasty colour green.

Now Olivia - that's completely different and absolutely lovely.

By the way, if you talk to people about names you have chosen, then it is not really fair to say they can F off if they don't like it (as some posters have suggested). If you ask for comments then don't expect everyone to agree.

newyearhere Sat 11-Jan-14 11:45:07

I don't like it, sorry. Prefer Olivia.

Ruprekt Sat 11-Jan-14 11:51:13

I always base a name on whether I would want to be called it.

And I would not.

Could you use Olivia and have Olive as a nn?

And do the test..................

'All rise for Judge Olive Pritchard..........'

'This is your Captain Olive Foster speaking..............'

Does it work?

OpalQuartz Sat 11-Jan-14 11:58:57

I like it. I think it's classy and a bit trendy in a good way. Not keen on Olivia as it reminds me of the word "liver"

pinkgirlythoughts Sat 11-Jan-14 13:28:14

Love it. Sounds stupid with my surname though.

RabbitPies Sat 11-Jan-14 13:31:53

Hate it. It's a harsh,and very unattractive name IMHO.

Mckayz Sat 11-Jan-14 13:35:11

I like it and I have never heard of 'on the buses' whatever that is.

YouGrateMyCheese Sat 11-Jan-14 13:39:16

Have you seen the movie Easy A, with Emma Stone? Her character's name is Olive, and she has this great line: "My name is an anagram for 'I love.'" With the popularity of Olivia and Oliver it just makes sense that Olive would start to appeal. I actually met a 6-year-old named Olive the other day, and I was startled by how fresh it sounded. I think it's great.

YouGrateMyCheese Sat 11-Jan-14 13:41:23

Oh and one of Isla Fisher's daughters is named Olive.

SicknSpan Sat 11-Jan-14 13:56:15

I think it's a fab, strong name for a girl that makes me think of someone self assured and a little bit quirky. Do it!

clara26 Sat 11-Jan-14 14:06:17

Congratulations! You've said it's your fave so go with it. She's your little girl! I think it's pretty.

tallulah Sat 11-Jan-14 14:13:06

Oh I hate the name Olive. It hasn't even got a nice sound (but then I don't like Oliver either). for you young 'uns

Mabelandrose Sat 11-Jan-14 14:14:28

I love it. But it's already very popular.

On the buses is on ITV2 all the time and my 6yo loves it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now