Antonia

(40 Posts)
xXjunebugXx Fri 10-Jan-14 18:14:04

What are your opinions on this name? Do you think Annie would work for short?

IsabellaRockerfeller Sat 11-Jan-14 09:17:13

Antonia is lovely but the Antonias I know are all known as Toni which I don't like!

YouGrateMyCheese Sat 11-Jan-14 17:42:43

Antonia is a stunning name. I think Annie would work just fine - they share the same first syllable after all. My first thought is Willa Cather's My Antonia. It's a top 10 name in Chile.

FatAmy Sat 11-Jan-14 17:43:49

I like Annie but really don't like Antonia, I think it sounds too masculine.

BlueMoonRiver Sat 11-Jan-14 18:02:22

Antonia is beautiful. The only downside is the shortening to Toni.

xXjunebugXx Sat 11-Jan-14 20:59:07

I dislike Toni too, Annie I think is cute for a baby. Obviously if she (possible girl in my tummy) wants to be Toni when she's older that is up to her but to us she would be Annie. And if she went by Annie all her life I guess people would be corrected buy her if they called her Toni and she didn't like it!

mrsgumpy Sat 11-Jan-14 21:28:53

I love it.

Read My Antonia by Willa Cather and you will love it even more.

Wandastartup Sun 12-Jan-14 00:06:08

My sister is Antonia. Has never been shortened. Wondering if some of the comments up thread may be about her!

I am one! (Should probably namechange now?) I like it, for the record!

I agree about the awfulness of Toni. My mum used to call me it, I hated it, it took a really long time (30 years!) to get her to stop. Since I was about 18 I've gone by a shortened version she hates, but I don't expect her to use it and I wouldn't write it on her birthday card or anything!

BTW I had to choose a shortening because everyone, everyone feels the need to shorten it! I couldn't cope with all the different hideous nns!

Oh and Wanda I don't think I'm your sister, unless my sister's 'MN is a waste of time' line is a very clever act grin

Grumblelion Sun 12-Jan-14 00:29:40

Love Antonia, much more than all the nn's.

pinkyredrose Sun 12-Jan-14 00:33:53

Do you have Italian connections in your family?

lemonmuffin Sun 12-Jan-14 00:58:19

gorgeous name

catinboots Sun 12-Jan-14 01:23:43

Ugly IMHO sorry.

I hate feminised versions of men's names.

ie - Antonia, Bryoni, Roberta

Yuk.

But hey if you love it go for it! Lots of people probably can't stand my DCs names grin

JapaneseMargaret Sun 12-Jan-14 07:22:08

Classic, elegant, timeless name. You don't have to be Italian to use it, any more than you need to be Greek to use Helen/a. It is mainstream enough.

Go for it!

xXjunebugXx Sun 12-Jan-14 14:01:37

No, no Italian connections.

I have read My Antonia and it is a lovely story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now