Shadow names (names for other sex)

(74 Posts)
Frikadellen Wed 08-Jan-14 18:46:39

What were your children's shadow names?

A shadow name for those who do not know the term is the name that would have been used if your child was the opposite sex

DD1 - Maximillian
DD2 Benjamin
DS Ilona
DD3 Bertram or Søren. (was going to be the 2 names but we would wait and see if he felt like a B or an S and use the other as mn)

Skrifa Sun 12-Jan-14 20:18:43

DS1- Emma Lily
DS2- Sophie Jenna.
DS3- Ivy, Susannah or Zera.

So either an Emma, Sophie and Ivy, an Emma, Sophie and Susie or an Emma, Sophie and Zera.

gwenniebee Sun 12-Jan-14 20:11:07

I would have been David.

DD would have been Alexander or Montgomery (Monty).

Grumblelion Sun 12-Jan-14 20:06:12

DD would have been Benjamin (Ben)

Mutteroo Sun 12-Jan-14 19:30:59

Kept our boys name so won't list it, but had he been a girl we had Lorna & Alexandra

I have a boy followed by a girl.
DS - Lucy or Alice
DD - we didn't really agree on any before she was born (and then took two days to name) but my short list included Sam, Linus, Casper and Sebastian.
We didn't name DD Lucy or Alice, we had gone off Alice as DS had a CD with 'Alice the Camel' on it, Lucy was DH's favourite, but it just didn't feel right, so we went with a different name that was vaguely mentioned by a friend's child after she was born!

youarewinning Sun 12-Jan-14 18:56:40

DS was Sophia.

Ironically my closest friend and me met when our children were in nursery together.

Her DDs shadow names were my DS name and her DD2 is similar to my DS shadow name!

So we could have ended up with 2 children named the same!

QueenFuri Sun 12-Jan-14 18:51:17

DS1- Ellie
DS2- Ava

Rhubarbgarden Sun 12-Jan-14 18:42:32

Dd was going to be Gus. We used that for ds as we still loved it. If he'd been a girl he'd have been Ingrid or Simone.

TawdryTatou Sun 12-Jan-14 17:23:32

DS1 would have been Molly or Daisy.
DS2 would have been Imogen.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sun 12-Jan-14 17:21:55

Dd would have been Fynn or Joshua
Ds would have been Rose

Gone off Fynn but would still consider Joshua or Rose for future dcs

MummyPig24 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:00:43

Ds would have been Holly.
Dd would have been Jack.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Sun 12-Jan-14 16:13:26

DS1 - Siane Lauren
DS2 - Sadie Rose Ann

i'm different to most on here then as DS 1 was going to be Kate up until the lat week when I changed it to Zoe, DS2 was going to be Zoe and DS3 was going to be Zoe Kate.....not very imaginative?

However the other shortlisted Boys names didn't come up for subsequent boys

SanityClause Sat 11-Jan-14 06:44:17

I now wish I'd called DD1 Sylvia, Jimbo, and prefer it to her real name. We didn't consider it when I was choosing though, so maybe DH would have vetoed it, anyway.

JimbosJetSet Sat 11-Jan-14 06:38:14

DD would have been Adam.
DS would have been Caroline.

We'd gone off Adam by the time DS arrived, and we hadn't even considered Caroline when we had DD, which I'm a bit gutted about because I think I prefer it to her actual name grin

Ds1 would have been Amy
Ds2 would have been Sarah
Dd1 would have been Jack
Ds3 would have been Poppy
Dd2 would have been Joe.

sleepywombat Sat 11-Jan-14 06:31:34

Knew we'd have another boy, so to avoid disappointment, didn't even think about girls' names for ds3.

BikeRunSki Sat 11-Jan-14 06:30:42

Ds - didn't have a girls name alternative
DD - Frederick

sleepywombat Sat 11-Jan-14 06:27:10

Ds1 & 2 would've been Catherine and Alexa.

Strokethefurrywall Sat 11-Jan-14 03:11:12

DS1 would have been Alannah or Dylan
DS2 (due in March) would have been Valentina or Darcy

No1 son would have been Mairi or Kirsty
No2 son would have been Mairi or Kirsty

tbh we never really puit that much thought into it's we only had possible girls names for No1 son though we were fairly sure he was a boy all the discussed boys names never really made it to possibles - he didn't have a name for 2 days.

We were 99% sure that 2nd baby was also a boy (no scan , just felt it) so we really didn't bother thinking of any names as we knew that we'd probably not go with anything we thought up but vaugley said that the girls choices still stood. He was a week and a half old before he was named.

NotMeNoWay Fri 10-Jan-14 21:41:00

Have name changed for this as it will out me but,
Rhys Matthew- really glad we didn't have Rhys now.
Scarlett May - love Scarlett still but not sure about May.
Meg(an) Hanna- still love both.
Francis Mary - really wish I had got the chance to use this one.

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 10-Jan-14 21:15:04

MIL and FIL used DH's shadow name for SIL when she arrived 18 months later. Although the name is a unisex one, they'd picked it as their girl name, so chose not to use it for DH.

Interestingly (after reading Jazzy's post, the name is Rowen)

DS would have been Annabelle or Imogen

thegreylady Fri 10-Jan-14 14:34:31

ds would have been Harriet and dd would have been James smile

Astarael Thu 09-Jan-14 20:02:26

My shadow name was Hugh but it was relegated to middle name position by the time my younger brother came along.

Ive only had one dd so far. In my head her shadow name was Evan but DH HATES it so in reality there was no boy's name and if she had been male some kind of fight to the death would have ensued in the delivery room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now