Is it odd to name a baby after a ship?

(45 Posts)
deeleigh123 Sun 05-Jan-14 03:11:24

My father sailed on HMS Ariadne when he first joined the navy and it's also a Greek mythological name. I think it's sweet but is it odd to name a baby after a ship? The nn would be Aria not Ari as already have Remy and (no offence to anyone) I can't stand rhyming sibling names. Does it go with the middle name Ivy? Any other suggestions for siblings Violet Rose Ann and Remy Quill Brian? Thanks smile xxx

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 07-Jan-14 15:40:53

I think Bismark is a great name for a child! grin wink

minniemagoo Tue 07-Jan-14 15:52:29

Lovely but re nn I know an Ariadne known as Addie!

meditrina Tue 07-Jan-14 15:56:00

I wouldn't have known a ship was named after the character from the Greek myths.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 07-Jan-14 15:59:11

Don't forget Endeavour Morse!

Ariadne is a beautiful name and its a nice reason. Really it's the ship which has been given a woman's name.

I quite like the idea of using ship names....won't be having more kids but perhaps my next dachshund could be named after my favourite ... the Beagle grin

meditrina Tue 07-Jan-14 16:13:04

Huge list of RN ships' names here

Quite good quarry for both human and pet names grin

YuffietheNinja Tue 07-Jan-14 16:19:29

For some reason I am in hysterics over some of the above posts. Cutty Sark, Wanganella and Dreadnaught have just really tickled me!

I love the name Ariadne, it's beautiful.

notso Tue 07-Jan-14 16:29:35

I too came on expecting Voyager, Discovery or Albatross.

Go for it!

meditrina Tue 07-Jan-14 16:35:54
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 07-Jan-14 16:41:15

Now now Meditrina there's no need for that! wink grin

JuliaScurr Tue 07-Jan-14 16:41:28

My friend is named after a barge that was named after a girl

TaraKnowles Tue 07-Jan-14 16:51:42

I thought it was going to be 'Jolly Roger'.

JulesJules Tue 07-Jan-14 16:58:28

Oh I love that Marine Traffic website. Can lose hours on it.

Rooners Tue 07-Jan-14 17:01:14

Oh it's fine. Quill is interesting - do you mind if I ask the provenance of that?

Fwiw I wanted to use the name 'Hesper' as a middle name for one of mine but it never happened...I kind of made it up but I liked it meaning Hope. Well I think it does anyway. And loads of ships seem to have been called Hesperus.

sisterofmercy Tue 07-Jan-14 17:25:01

I was partly named after the QE2 which my dad worked on.... 'Ariadne' is lovely. smile

Mckayz Tue 07-Jan-14 19:27:56

My DH is in the merchant navy and we track him on marine traffic. He's off to Pacific Champion next week. Not a great baby name.

NameoftheRose Tue 07-Jan-14 19:37:05

Wish I'd thought of this when naming my sons. My dad served on the Implacable and the Illustrious. Could have used them as middle names at least.

Matthew Implacable Smith & Jonathan Illustrious Smith. Not their actual first or last names. Or maybe just Implacable Smith and Illustrious Smith grin

Really wish I'd thought of it though, I think it's a lovely idea and Ariadne's a lovely name.

NameoftheRose Tue 07-Jan-14 19:38:34

Ah sisterofmercy, so your RL name is Queen? Or perhaps 2, pronounced "second"?

WhenWhyWhere Tue 07-Jan-14 20:43:47

It's a fantastic name but with a name that cool why would you want to use a NN.

Stokes Tue 07-Jan-14 20:55:58

Go for it - I'm named after the ship my dad was master of when I was born.

I really like the connection - although he does like to tell me it's more impressive to have the ship named after you than the other way round grin

Plateofcrumbs Wed 08-Jan-14 04:34:49

As long as your father (assuming he is alive?) likes it and doesn't find it strange having his granddaughter named after a former workplace! If he tells a lot of stories about his 'days on the Ariadne' it might be odd. Otherwise lovely name and it's nice to have a name with a personal meaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now