Yahya or Eesa?

(132 Posts)
Aaliyah1 Sat 04-Jan-14 18:40:22

I need some help guys with the two above names. We are having a baby boy and like these two names. I wanted to know the opinion of non Muslims (Muslims too wink) of what you think of them. I'm swaying towards one but my DH is swaying to another hmm

Yahya is the Arabic for John and Eesa is Arabic for Jesus.

lljkk Sat 04-Jan-14 18:42:23

I was guessing you had thrown scrabble letters up in the air, to be honest.

What about Asa? Sounds like Eesa but is more conventional.
If you don't live in an Arabic-speaking community then they may be names that don't travel outside your culture well.

callamia Sat 04-Jan-14 18:48:05

I didn't know that about Yahya. I guess most people will have heard that name before because of the footballer with the same (but differently spelt) name. Eesa sounds like a lovely name - it's pretty straightforward to pronounce too.

Dollydishus Sat 04-Jan-14 18:48:27

Can you give me an idea of how they are pronounced? If Eesa is said like it sounds (EE-sa) then I like that a lot. It works well in English/US English, and is similar in other European languages, I think. (Well, so says google!)

There's a German version and a Nordic version apparently.

KingRollo Sat 04-Jan-14 18:50:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eesa is really lovely and will give you much less hassle spelling/pronunciation wise smile .

Cybercat Sat 04-Jan-14 18:53:44

Eesa. I love that.

AngieBolen Sat 04-Jan-14 18:54:46

From an ignorant non-Muslim I thought they were girls names. blush

As an ignorant Christian, why would you want to name your DC a variant of Jesus? blush

How do you pronounce yahya? Like ya-ya? If so, I quite like it.

jazzyjenbo Sat 04-Jan-14 18:55:31

I know an Eesa, lovely little boy with a white british mum and asian dad. X

PurplePidjin Sat 04-Jan-14 18:56:44

To my very British eyes, they look like names that a 2yo sibling would use because they can't pronounce the "proper" names.

If you live in an Arabic country or community then they're great and i love the actual sounds. But i don't think they'd transfer well to a non-arabic community sad

Yusef, Jacob/Jakob, Caleb/Kaleb, Esau or Eli are Old Testament (sorry, that's my frame of reference and i know there are many similarities with the Koran) names that to me sound similar and would work well in either culture?

Jaynebxl Sat 04-Jan-14 18:56:48

I assumed both to be girls' names too.

zinher Sat 04-Jan-14 18:58:34

Love Eesa.

zinher Sat 04-Jan-14 19:00:52

As well as Musa

brokenhearted55a Sat 04-Jan-14 19:02:03

From a non muslim I thought it was a wind up thread.

Not keen on either.

Jenijena Sat 04-Jan-14 19:02:22

I like both but prefer Yahya.

Joshua is a form of Jesus too, for the poster asking why you'd name someone Jesus. And Jesus is a very common name in some countries.

EmmaGellerGreen Sat 04-Jan-14 19:03:16

Eesa is lovely.

BananaPie Sat 04-Jan-14 19:06:28

I like Eesa (I'm not a Muslim, but recognised both as boys' names)

curlew Sat 04-Jan-14 19:08:57

Loads of people from Spanish spelling countries have a form of Jesus in their names- do you have an issue with that too?hmm

Yahya is harder for an an English speaking tongue to get round, if that's important to you.....

MaeveBehave Sat 04-Jan-14 19:13:50

I dont like either of them. Go a bit more mainstream. That's just my advice.
similarly, eg Maeve in the uk - ok. Madhbh - inadvisable.

NoComet Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:40

I haven't a clue how to pronounce either.

I realise that Jesus is respected by Muslims and John is an equally Christian New Testament name, but living in a 99% white rural area a small Muslim child telling his school friends his name is the Arabic for Jesus is going to confuse people no end.

MaeveBehave Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:44

What about Isam (eesam).
Eesa looks like a girls name, and an odd one at that.
Just because a lot of spanish speakers call their son jesus does not make it any more usual here.

AnneWentworth Sat 04-Jan-14 19:18:04

Eesa all the way. It is beautiful and I don't find it feminine and we considered it for all of ours, albeit spelt as Isa.

StrangeGlue Sat 04-Jan-14 19:21:26

Is eesa said E-sa? I like that, never seen it before.

I can't work out how to say the other - sorry - so can't comment.

Catsmamma Sat 04-Jan-14 19:23:07

I thought the two were alternatives to Grandma/Nannie

isn't Yahya greek for grandmother?

MatriarchMommy Sat 04-Jan-14 19:25:33

I know a little Eesa, hes a lovely boy, I think its easier to see how to say it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now