Need a "won't be one of seven in his class" boy name!

(65 Posts)

Me again... still don't know what we're having but I realised that I hadn't given much thought to what if it's a boy... and now that everyone I know thinks I'm having a boy, I realised I'd probably better get a move on grin all the names I love for a boy, I'm worried (not too worried - not enough to put me off a name completely, I don't think) that he'll be one of six or seven in his class. Here are the names I like a lot (some have particular reasons for choosing them)

Dylan - I want Welsh in there somewhere but this is one of the only Welsh first names I like (grew up in a very very Welsh village where all the boys had Welsh names and they've put me off them!). Also love Dylan Thomas, which is what attracted us to the name in the first place. But seems like every classroom has four Dylans in it right now.

Tobias nn Toby - I really like it but not sure it's 'right' for us, OH loves it but there was a character in a children's film and he keeps saying the name in a Scottish accent and it drives me insane grin plus with Divergent coming out next year, it's going to become popular.

Rory - OH likes it, I think it's cute, just can't find a middle name (and Rory The Tiger/Rory The Racing Car puts me off)

Oscar - I love this one, but OH has a distant friend with a son called this and apparently it's reason enough not to use it, but last night he said he does really like it.

Alexander - I think it's a bit more 'classic' than my other choices. I'm just not keen on the nickname Alex, I much prefer Xand or Xander (a la Alexander Armstrong wink ) which I'm worried people think is too 'trendy' or whatever. OH really likes it too.

Tristan - OH really likes this, it's a nod to his and his family's passion for medieval history. I like it but hated the character in Stardust and also knew a very annoying boy with this name but different spelling.

Christopher - OH likes it. I don't.

Archie - Would be short for Archer. We're both quite keen on this one.

Joseph - Would probably be known as Joe. Again, just worried he'll be one of many in his classroom.

Basically I'm after opinions on whether the boys would be one of many with all these names, and any others similar to my choices (so not Clement or Horatio) that might be better?

Names I like but we can't use -
Monty - it's the name of my car hmm
Alfie - Friend's sister is due month before me and they're calling their little boy Alfie.
Jack

absentmindeddooooodles Sat 04-Jan-14 13:57:04

Love alexander. I considered it for ds. Others we liked were:

Rory
Jesse
Christopher
Reuben
Myles
William
Sebastian
Seth
Jacob
Loki
Sonny
Tobias

We ended up calling him jude smile

WidowWadman Sat 04-Jan-14 14:00:48

If my youngest had been a boy we'd have called her Leander.

TheNightIsDark Sat 04-Jan-14 14:01:05

I love Loki. It would've suited DS1 to a t. I wasn't brave enough though. And we would had to have called DS2 Thor and I can't say the 'th' sound reliably blush

ilovesmurfs Sat 04-Jan-14 14:06:04

i have a dylan, he is 9 and the only one in his class.

i have an oscar who is 11 and the onky one in his yr group but it has got more popular in the under fives but according to ons statistics it fell down the list last year so is becoming less popular.

i also have a theo who has always been the only one (14) but it is more popular now.

bizarely ds4 is rudi, not a popular name at all but when he started reception thete was another rudi! however he and the other rudi love that thete is someone else with their name.

so ime you can choose an unusual name and still end up with another in your class.

alfie, archie, tom, finn/finlay are popular names where we are.

if you look at the ons statistucs there is a bit where they give you the most popular names according to region.

Thanks again for all the comments smile

Other names that I absolutely adore but OH isn't keen on are Noah, Theo and Finlay. I love the name Ellis but a horrendous ex put paid to that idea sad

I'm not too worried about there being others in the class with the name to be honest... I think it's just that I'm so used to never having met anyone with my name (I'm a Madison, named before it became hideously popular grin ) that I can't quite get my head around it grin

BikeRunSki Sat 04-Jan-14 14:16:43

Rhodri
Emrys
Euan

ilovesmurfs Sat 04-Jan-14 14:20:31

noah and toby are names of a few little ones ie under threes here.

just choose a name you like.

i wouldnt choose a top ten name and when wr chose oscar and theo they werent even in the top 100 names, they are now tho.

our dd has a name that is only givem to about 30 babies a year, its not even in the top 500 names but i met someone recently who said their grandaughter had the same name.

DaleyBump Sat 04-Jan-14 14:34:25

I have a Tobias (nn Toby). Never even heard of another. I think it's a beautiful name smile

Footle Sat 04-Jan-14 14:39:40

My hobby is looking at initials. If your surname starts with S, don't call him Alexander Rhys. No small Tobies around here (NW UK) but it's my favourite of your list. I'm old though. If you're in Welsh-speaking Wales, are you happy with the Welsh pronunciation ?

Worriedthistimearound Sat 04-Jan-14 15:59:15

My Alexander is Alex but I also know one known as Lex which is cool.

flatmum Sat 04-Jan-14 16:09:57

I also have a 9y old Dylan - only one in his school, but we're in the SE. I think it is a really lovely name (obviously) - He gets called Dyl, Dilly, Dils, Dips etc all of which suit him too (never be under any illusions that the name wont be nicknamed or shortened by his friends - it will!).

I think if you like Dylan go for it - is it really still that popular in Wales?

flatmum Sat 04-Jan-14 16:11:09

oh and round here the popular names with multiples in classes are:

Thomas
Joseph
Ethan
Harrry
Charlie

Footle Sat 04-Jan-14 16:20:16

Oops, I meant Welsh pron of Dylan.

flatmum - I'm worried it will be really popular with the 100th anniversary of Dylan Thomas's birth this year, and every name thread I read, everyone seems to say "avoid Dylan, it's overused".

footle I'm not sure what pronounciation we'll be using - his family are Welsh and mine are English so it's a bit of a Gavin and Stacey situation blush needs to be something they'd all be able to pronounce, and I don't want to be correcting everyone that it's duh-lan, not dillon all the time.

Surname is 'W' if that makes any decisions easier grin

Turvytopsy Sat 04-Jan-14 16:45:02

It really depends on area op. I have an Oscar and a Dylan and although admittedly neither are babies anymore we have never had another of either in any class they have been in. I still love both names and they have suited my boys through all stages of their lives so far.

Good luck with the new arrival smile

CookiecutterShark Sat 04-Jan-14 16:56:36

Every other baby I meet is called Oliver... but then so is mine. I couldn't imagine him being anything else. Oliver wasn't even a name I particularly liked originally, but I thought I was having a girl and was going to call her Holly. Holly became olly and that is who he is. My boy's name for dd was Alex and for ds we didn't even consider it.

I think Tristan is lovely btw

NoComet Sat 04-Jan-14 16:59:32

I know one Dylan (an always think of the stoned rabbit in the magic roundabout)

Secondary DDs know an Oscar and a Toby (no idea if this is a NN), but certainly not common.

Only Tristan I can think of is in James Herriot Books.

One of my NCT group had an Alexander, but again I don't know any others.

Don't know or like Rory

Loads of Archie's round here and Joshua's (so Joe if not Joseph)

My Christopher wasn't a nightmare just very boring.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sat 04-Jan-14 17:07:49

I know a couple of baby Noahs.

lookout Sat 04-Jan-14 17:08:18

What about Evan? Or Owen?

Don't like Evan. Brother was called Owain (he died when I was younger, Rhys was his middle name and that's why middle name will probably be Rhys) and Owen feels too close.

JellyMould Sat 04-Jan-14 17:12:12

It seems like you like Celtic names, so maybe
James
Callum
Hamish
Douglas
Sruan

ilovesmurfs Sat 04-Jan-14 17:21:36

star my dylan is actually named after the rabbit! When I was pregnant ds2 insisted I was haivng a rabbit and not a baby, so we named him dylan after the rabbit and ds2 got his rabbit brother sort of!

Thanks for the suggestions. I quite like James. Not keen on Callum, Hamish or Sruan and Douglas is a no-go, it's the name of one of my best friends and his head would never fit through the door grin

How about Declan or Patrick...

Rhodri?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now