ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How popular is Katherine (Katy)?

(32 Posts)
MetellaEstMater Fri 03-Jan-14 11:11:40

DD2 is (very) overdue and we still don't have a name for her. DH really like Katherine (nn. Katy) but I'm worried it's too popular. However, thinking about it whilst I know lots of grown up Kates/Katies/Catherine's etc. I don't know any little ones. Maybe the 'Middleton factor' has actu out people off?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

AwfulMaureen Fri 03-Jan-14 11:17:07

I don't know a single one...it's beautiful though. I really like it. In my DDs classes there are none at all....DDs are aged 9 and 5.

Mrsden Fri 03-Jan-14 11:18:58

I don't think it's that popular. I know one 9 month old called Katy and no others.

Dogonabeanbag Fri 03-Jan-14 11:21:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 03-Jan-14 11:21:56

We know one Catherine, one Katy, and two Katies. And we know a lot of children.

I would have used Catherine for any of my DSs if they hadn't been so resolutely male. DS1 would have been Katy; since then I have preferred Kitty.

EasyCompadre Fri 03-Jan-14 11:22:38

I don't think it's popular. I know an adult Katie and an adult Katherine, but no babies, and I really don't think there are any little Katherine's in the school I teach in either.

Dogonabeanbag Fri 03-Jan-14 11:24:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGonnagle Fri 03-Jan-14 11:24:40

It's my name so I notice it and there are very very few small people called Katherine around here. And I'm a teacher too!
PS, you have absolutely the right spelling there!

MetellaEstMater Fri 03-Jan-14 11:30:05

Thank you all!

Dogon - we are almost at the opposite end of the country so probably is relevant, thanks for updating! smile

Skrifa Fri 03-Jan-14 12:10:41

I know no young girls (or anyone, actually, who I know personally!) called Katherine as a full name. I know a 2yo called Kitty, and a 4yo called Caitlin.

CarryOnDancing Fri 03-Jan-14 12:59:26

I know 4 adult Catherine's/Katherine's but none under 30. I know one little Katy who is 2.
I really like the idea of Katherine on a baby and as this time, it's refreshing. Katy is lovely and even if you come across a few, I doubt they will have the same full name?

I'm in the NW.

bruffin Fri 03-Jan-14 13:12:33

DC are mid - late teens and it seems a popular name in that age group.

scrivette Fri 03-Jan-14 20:04:08

I know one Catherine and her daughter is Katie. I don't know any Katherine's and I know lots of children under 5.

lljkk Fri 03-Jan-14 20:53:24

Caitlin (var spellings) is the big fashion. Very very few Kathryn/var. spellings.

mum2jakie Fri 03-Jan-14 20:56:37

I don't know any primary school age or younger.

Coveredinweetabix Fri 03-Jan-14 21:01:36

I know a 9yro Katherine and her mum hasn't come across anyone else of a similar age with the same name & I know a 15mth old nn Kitty and, again, her mum hasn't come across any babies or toddlers with the name, long or short. There are several Caitlins and some of them get shortened to Kate/Katy (although spelt differently).

Kelziz Fri 03-Jan-14 21:02:32

My 4 year old is Katherine, she's the only in reception and possibly her school.

Lebkuchenlover Sat 04-Jan-14 08:24:47

There are loads of Katharines, Karherines, Catharines, Catherines with various nicknames - Katie, Katy, Cate, Kate, Cathy etc.

I'd be put off by the popularity but also the need to spell out the name!

ChristmasCareeristBitchNigel Sat 04-Jan-14 08:31:50

DD is Katharine, known as Kitty. She is 3 and the only one i have come across so i would say it's not that popular.

It's a good, solid, timeless name with lots of diminutives that can easily be adapted as you grow - and suits any sort of job from princess to lawyer to actress to bishop smile

ChristmasCareeristBitchNigel Sat 04-Jan-14 08:33:52

I'm in the south east, OP.

TheRobberBride Sat 04-Jan-14 08:38:37

I know only one child called Katherine who is known as Katy. She's 4. It's a lovely name IMO.

ShadowFall Sat 04-Jan-14 08:45:31

All the Katherines (of all spellings) that I know are adults.

I know a number of little Kate / Katies but these all have Kate / Katie as their full name rather than as a nickname.

Worriedthistimearound Sat 04-Jan-14 14:39:47

I think it looks so pretty when spelt with a K. As NNs, I'm not keen on Katie but love Kate and Kitty.

MetellaEstMater Sat 04-Jan-14 17:11:53

Thanks everyone! Katherine was born last night! Your thoughts are genuinely appreciated! thanks

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 04-Jan-14 17:26:35

Congratulations and great name grin wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now