Rhyming names

(14 Posts)
IsleOfRight Fri 03-Jan-14 08:38:24

So we had dd first. She is known by her nickname, a short version of her name.

Then ds came. We didn't use my favourite boys name because the short version of his name rhymes with the short version of her name.

Don't want to out myself so won't put their name here but think Joe and Flo, that kind of thing.

Now thinking about number 3. Could we use the rhyming name now there is a completely non rhyming name in the middle?

meditrina Fri 03-Jan-14 08:44:28

Yes, as long as the rhyming names are in frequent use. Because your wish to use the name hasn't gone away; you can always use the full-length versions on occasions where rhyming would sound wrong to you; and, even though the names used in the family often stick, one or both DC might end up with a totally different nn anyhow.

Wevet Fri 03-Jan-14 13:28:13

Our neighbours have three children with the same vowel sound in their names - think Jude, Luke and Una, though not the actual names - and it makes things slightly awkward when someone is shouting for them as its easy to mishear as just a vague 'oo' sound...

My youngest sister and I both have names that end in ly, but out middle sisters doesn't, so think

Keeley, Beth and Hayley (not our actual names!)

I think it works ok!

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 03-Jan-14 13:49:55

Although my DCs names look very different written down they do have very similar sound. However, DD came second and I loved her name too much not too use it so I would say go for it.

DuckCommander Fri 03-Jan-14 16:26:05

Someone I used to work with has 3 DC, a girl and two boys and all their names rhyme. Its weird imo, especially when she was pg with the third and she was trying to find a third name that rhymed because she couldn't have one that didn't rhyme!

HyvaPaiva Fri 03-Jan-14 16:42:56

I know sisters whose double-barrelled first names rhyme e.g. Polly-Rae and Molly-Mae (*not real names). They do get lots of hmm looks.

Pinkbell123 Fri 03-Jan-14 20:28:14

Me and my sister have names which have very rhymy nicknames. We kind of like it. Our brother doesn't match the rhyme though.

hawkmcqueen Fri 03-Jan-14 20:39:13

I wouldn't because it still is quite obviously rhyming: Jamie, Anna and Amy - I don't think the middle name takes away from the rhyme, it just forms part of the rhythm of it...

Bowlersarm Fri 03-Jan-14 20:40:30

I think it's odd.

lljkk Fri 03-Jan-14 20:52:40

I have 3 DC with rhyming names, no one but me even notices.

DuckCommander Fri 03-Jan-14 21:36:11

lljkk I think some names are more rhyming than other though, so maybe yours don't stand out so much.

The family I am thinking of have very samey-rhyming names, like Haley and Kaleigh which are essentially the same sounding except for the first letter.

looki Sat 04-Jan-14 04:12:15

I wouldn't and to the poster who said her children have names that rhyme but nobody notices, I imagine they do but nobody says so?

Chottie Sat 04-Jan-14 05:34:58

My two nieces have rhyming names and the first thing they did when they grew up was to change them. They hated rhyming with each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now