Kim? Or Kimberley?

(36 Posts)

Just that really, not my baby but best friends DD, she asked me to ask the lovely M netters grin

ComtesseDeSpair Sun 05-Jan-14 18:12:55

I'm not keen on Kimberley. I just don't think it's a very attractive name, it's always sounded a bit surname-ish to me and not a particularly attractive surname, either. I do like Kim and Kimmie but not sure either can be pulled off as a name in its own right rather than a shortening, though.

(In the 1960s, over 50% of the entire UK's housing stock was council built and owned, so it's probably accurate to say that "most people" lived in council housing at some points in the fairly recent past - a sizeable proportion of ordinary working people. Social housing still accounts for about 20% of total UK housing stock, so council tenants are hardly a tiny minority even today.)

Lilyrose13 Sun 05-Jan-14 17:42:18

Awww, this makes me sad! I'm a Kimberly (which is what my family call me) but most of friends/colleagues call me Kim. I preferred Kim when I was younger but as I got a little older I liked Kimberly. And i'm not from an 1980's council estate.... :D

Greenkit Sun 05-Jan-14 11:36:34

Oh I know people just wont believe me when I say its just Kim

bruffin Sun 05-Jan-14 11:31:11

I know a couple of just Kims, they're names get extended to Kimberly.

Greenkit Sun 05-Jan-14 11:26:04

I am Kim, just Kim grin

MaeveBehave Sun 05-Jan-14 11:24:23

i know of a boy called Kim. I like it. all of the boys in the family have unisex names.

I don't like Kimberley but Kim is nice imo.

Purplehulk Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:52

Well, I'm a Kimberley, known as Kim,
was privately and Oxbridge educated, now working professionally, so my 80's council estate name hasn't held me back.
I've also never met another.
I prefer the -ley spelling to the -ly, but -ly seems the default for most people.
Tell your friend if she likes it, go for it grin

Locketjuice Sat 04-Jan-14 19:14:25

I really don't like it, it's just sounds blurghhh, I know 2 and really dislike them both (not because of the name obviously!)

florascotia Sat 04-Jan-14 19:07:06

Traditionally Kim was a boy's name or nickname - as in Rudyard Kipling's 'Kim's Game' or the famous spy Kim Philby.

Kimberley is a village in Norfolk. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying. Lots of names are geographical - eg Beverley or Chelsea or India.

Islenka Wed 01-Jan-14 10:48:29

I prefer Kim on its own. Very strong sounding, but pretty name. However, where I come from, it is short for Joakim and a male name hmm Kimberley is also very pretty and sweet. So although I prefer Kim, for a child, Kimberely might be better as they then have the option of Kim or Kimber, or being called the full name, depending on what fits them!

MissPlumBroughtALadder Wed 01-Jan-14 02:43:40

iLikeRed I really wasn't being rude. I was just incredulous at a previous poster's assertion that most people had lived in a council house!

Frontdoorstep Tue 31-Dec-13 17:44:23

I think both are nice, although I don't usually go for nicknames, I think on this occasion I would call her Kimberley and then you can call her Kim if you want.

ILikeRed Tue 31-Dec-13 17:26:50

Wow, people are so rude!

"I've never been in a council house!" ...you sound like such a grounded, well adjusted person! For goodness sake!

Cwtchbach Tue 31-Dec-13 16:59:24

My sister has this name, she is also a professional and educated at Oxbridge, although went to a comprehensive school. I think it is really cute on little ones!

OhCaptainDarling Tue 31-Dec-13 13:01:03

'Most people have lived in a council house' hahahhaha wink

No, they haven't!

Harris is a fine name! Good and strong. Perhaps if you don't have Scottish links somewhat odd.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 31-Dec-13 10:58:33

In Ireland there is a biscuit called Kimberley. The chocolate covered one is delish.
Kim is nice.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Tue 31-Dec-13 04:41:32

Most people lived in a council house at some point??? Really? I don't know anyone who's lived in a council house; I've never been in a council house!
My brother is called Kimberley, by the way, always known as Kim. I don't think he minds being called Kim, but he does occasionally ask my parents what the hell they were thinking nami g him Kimberley.

TransatlanticCityGirl Tue 31-Dec-13 04:34:37

My cousin is a Kimberley and I've always thought it's a lovely name. I don't have roots in the UK so I have no negative connotations with it, as some other posters seem to have.

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Tue 31-Dec-13 00:38:53

I know a teenage Kimberley and a primary school Kimberley; both academically bright girls, and neither from a council estate.

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Mon 30-Dec-13 23:05:26

Speak for yourself!

Hoiks bosom.

CuntyBunty Mon 30-Dec-13 22:50:27

Most people lived in council houses at some point, not all of us are rough Happy2Be. I was brought up in a nice council house. smile

Victoria Wood - sorry. 'She's really, really tall and really, really wide. Looks a bit like a wardrobe' irc.

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Mon 30-Dec-13 22:42:17

Victoria Wood here too.

I have a 5 year old Kimberly. Her class teacher is also called Kimberley. We never call her Kim. I love it. I do live in a council house though, so what do I know. hmm

CuntyBunty Mon 30-Dec-13 22:33:34

My two Kim's more than cancel out tacky Kim K.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now