Kim? Or Kimberley?

(36 Posts)

Just that really, not my baby but best friends DD, she asked me to ask the lovely M netters grin

MissPlumBroughtALadder Wed 01-Jan-14 02:43:40

iLikeRed I really wasn't being rude. I was just incredulous at a previous poster's assertion that most people had lived in a council house!

Islenka Wed 01-Jan-14 10:48:29

I prefer Kim on its own. Very strong sounding, but pretty name. However, where I come from, it is short for Joakim and a male name hmm Kimberley is also very pretty and sweet. So although I prefer Kim, for a child, Kimberely might be better as they then have the option of Kim or Kimber, or being called the full name, depending on what fits them!

florascotia Sat 04-Jan-14 19:07:06

Traditionally Kim was a boy's name or nickname - as in Rudyard Kipling's 'Kim's Game' or the famous spy Kim Philby.

Kimberley is a village in Norfolk. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying. Lots of names are geographical - eg Beverley or Chelsea or India.

Locketjuice Sat 04-Jan-14 19:14:25

I really don't like it, it's just sounds blurghhh, I know 2 and really dislike them both (not because of the name obviously!)

Purplehulk Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:52

Well, I'm a Kimberley, known as Kim,
was privately and Oxbridge educated, now working professionally, so my 80's council estate name hasn't held me back.
I've also never met another.
I prefer the -ley spelling to the -ly, but -ly seems the default for most people.
Tell your friend if she likes it, go for it grin

MaeveBehave Sun 05-Jan-14 11:24:23

i know of a boy called Kim. I like it. all of the boys in the family have unisex names.

I don't like Kimberley but Kim is nice imo.

Greenkit Sun 05-Jan-14 11:26:04

I am Kim, just Kim grin

bruffin Sun 05-Jan-14 11:31:11

I know a couple of just Kims, they're names get extended to Kimberly.

Greenkit Sun 05-Jan-14 11:36:34

Oh I know people just wont believe me when I say its just Kim

Lilyrose13 Sun 05-Jan-14 17:42:18

Awww, this makes me sad! I'm a Kimberly (which is what my family call me) but most of friends/colleagues call me Kim. I preferred Kim when I was younger but as I got a little older I liked Kimberly. And i'm not from an 1980's council estate.... :D

ComtesseDeSpair Sun 05-Jan-14 18:12:55

I'm not keen on Kimberley. I just don't think it's a very attractive name, it's always sounded a bit surname-ish to me and not a particularly attractive surname, either. I do like Kim and Kimmie but not sure either can be pulled off as a name in its own right rather than a shortening, though.

(In the 1960s, over 50% of the entire UK's housing stock was council built and owned, so it's probably accurate to say that "most people" lived in council housing at some points in the fairly recent past - a sizeable proportion of ordinary working people. Social housing still accounts for about 20% of total UK housing stock, so council tenants are hardly a tiny minority even today.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now