Kim? Or Kimberley?

(36 Posts)

Just that really, not my baby but best friends DD, she asked me to ask the lovely M netters grin

IAmTheOneWhoKnocks Mon 30-Dec-13 20:10:52

Don't like it personally. If she likes it she should go for it though smile

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 30-Dec-13 20:10:56

Neither. It's a bit 80's rough estate.

Oh dear, not good then hmm
I thought Kimberly was quite sweet?!

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 30-Dec-13 20:13:57

I always wanted to be called Kim when I was growing ( in my rough 80's council estate) but I really like Kimberly as well.

yourcruisedirector Mon 30-Dec-13 20:17:07

It's my name, down to the spelling of the longer version. I go by the shorter version. I don't really like it and never have, but I've only ever known one other girl (in my year group at primary!) with the same name.

I like having an unusual but not weird name. No one can ever spell the full version.

I'm in a respectable profession and was Oxbridge educated out of the state sector so I wouldn't say it held me back, ever grin

There a actually 3 Kim's where I work, all under the age of 30, all professionals, i never thought of it as an 80's rough estate name hmm

UriGeller Mon 30-Dec-13 21:14:49

I'm unable to say Kimberly without it sounding like Victoria Wood, "Kimbleh". I don't like it, its on a par with Samantha and Melanie to me.

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 30-Dec-13 22:18:50

I like it, all the Kimberley's I know are lovely

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 30-Dec-13 22:28:24

Kim Kardashian. For that reason alone, I wouldn't inflict that name on a child.

CuntyBunty Mon 30-Dec-13 22:33:00

What about Kim Deal of The Pixies and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth? They are/were not just cool, but fucking cool.

Kimberly is like Victoria Woods's "Kimberlehhh" to me too.

CuntyBunty Mon 30-Dec-13 22:33:34

My two Kim's more than cancel out tacky Kim K.

I have a 5 year old Kimberly. Her class teacher is also called Kimberley. We never call her Kim. I love it. I do live in a council house though, so what do I know. hmm

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Mon 30-Dec-13 22:42:17

Victoria Wood here too.

Victoria Wood - sorry. 'She's really, really tall and really, really wide. Looks a bit like a wardrobe' irc.

CuntyBunty Mon 30-Dec-13 22:50:27

Most people lived in council houses at some point, not all of us are rough Happy2Be. I was brought up in a nice council house. smile

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Mon 30-Dec-13 23:05:26

Speak for yourself!

Hoiks bosom.

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Tue 31-Dec-13 00:38:53

I know a teenage Kimberley and a primary school Kimberley; both academically bright girls, and neither from a council estate.

TransatlanticCityGirl Tue 31-Dec-13 04:34:37

My cousin is a Kimberley and I've always thought it's a lovely name. I don't have roots in the UK so I have no negative connotations with it, as some other posters seem to have.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Tue 31-Dec-13 04:41:32

Most people lived in a council house at some point??? Really? I don't know anyone who's lived in a council house; I've never been in a council house!
My brother is called Kimberley, by the way, always known as Kim. I don't think he minds being called Kim, but he does occasionally ask my parents what the hell they were thinking nami g him Kimberley.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 31-Dec-13 10:58:33

In Ireland there is a biscuit called Kimberley. The chocolate covered one is delish.
Kim is nice.

OhCaptainDarling Tue 31-Dec-13 13:01:03

'Most people have lived in a council house' hahahhaha wink

No, they haven't!

Harris is a fine name! Good and strong. Perhaps if you don't have Scottish links somewhat odd.

Cwtchbach Tue 31-Dec-13 16:59:24

My sister has this name, she is also a professional and educated at Oxbridge, although went to a comprehensive school. I think it is really cute on little ones!

ILikeRed Tue 31-Dec-13 17:26:50

Wow, people are so rude!

"I've never been in a council house!" ...you sound like such a grounded, well adjusted person! For goodness sake!

Frontdoorstep Tue 31-Dec-13 17:44:23

I think both are nice, although I don't usually go for nicknames, I think on this occasion I would call her Kimberley and then you can call her Kim if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now