Poppy, has it risen to #5 in popularity?

(36 Posts)
hawkmcqueen Sat 28-Dec-13 22:07:50

Hi there I was looking at the Bounty baby names list for 2013 yesterday and Poppy was ranked at #5. Is this a ranking from the bounty website or is that the ONS data does anyone know? Poppy is becoming a contender but I would be a bit gutted if I ended up picking another uber popular name.

ComposHat Tue 07-Jan-14 23:07:23

Yes from the age of 9 to 16, that child named Bunty will be known to all and sundry at school as Cunty.

I went to University with someone called Andrew C. HUNT. Which was apt because he was a cunt of tbe highest order.

BananaHammocks Wed 08-Jan-14 06:24:33

What's wrong with Josephine?? Can't see how that would get anyone bullied!

Doctorbrownbear Wed 08-Jan-14 11:29:16

Nothing wrong with josephine but it is a rather old fashioned name. I think it is more like a name for someone over the age of 40. Bunty is just awful and cruel.

Doctorbrownbear Wed 08-Jan-14 11:31:25

LOL at Andrew C Hunt. .. they say that people grow into their names. I have never met anyone that I can remember that didn't suit their name.

Poppy is a lovely name it is very popular here too though (Berkshire) you can't always predict how popular a name will be in your area though. 2 of my dc have popular names and yet neither has another of the same name in their school. DS2 is William and in a large grammar school and yet no other William in his year (there must be in the school though) and dd1 is Lucy and in a junior school of several hundred she is the only Lucy, but the other names which were on the short list, India, Freya and Darcie there are at least 2 of each and Grace is exceptionally popular with one in each yr3 and yr 2 class! Poppy there are 3 that I know of in our primary school.

FloatMyBoat Wed 08-Jan-14 11:41:20

Well said DoctorBrownBear

squoosh Wed 08-Jan-14 13:08:25

It will be the name of thousands of adult women in about 18 years time.

Funny how fashions for names changes - neither of my daughters names are in the top 100 but they are not unusual or deliberately quirky - my youngest is Polly and the only one I know in her age group, though there are plenty of Holly's and Molly's, Milly's and Poppy's - weird.

My son's name is in the top 10 now but a decade ago when I named him it was not even in the top 100. Choose a name that means something to you and your family and try not to leave them open to cruel nicknames and you will be fine.

Good luck.

ComposHat Wed 08-Jan-14 14:44:55

I have never met anyone that I can remember that didn't suit their name.

I use a diminutive of my first name that is normally used by older people, so when I've written or emailed people in the past, they've usually commented 'ooh we were expecting someone older.'

This pathetic act of ego stroking never fails to delight me.

Therefore I would recommend giving your children names that were fashionable about thirty or forty years ago. So here's to a new generation of Baby Kevins and baby Pauls, baby Donnas and baby Sarahs.

Twinkletron Thu 09-Jan-14 19:01:09

There are 2 Poppy's in my NCT group!

newyearhere Thu 09-Jan-14 19:05:55

I only know of one Poppy. It's a lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now