French girls names

(49 Posts)
DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 27-Dec-13 09:17:05

It's very early days but I'm in the mood for thinking about names this morning! Too early to know if we're having a boy or a girl (and we probably won't find out in advance anyway) but I would like your suggestions for girls' names that will work in French and English, as dh is French (I'll do a boys' names thread another time!).

So, any ideas?

MairzyDoats Fri 27-Dec-13 09:19:33

Louise, Camille, Sophie, Estelle, Amelie?

eurochick Fri 27-Dec-13 09:21:49

I love Manon.

LineRunner Fri 27-Dec-13 09:23:37

Veronique
Madeleine
Claire
Sophie

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 27-Dec-13 09:24:08

Yy to Camille such a pretty but classic name

Suzietwo Fri 27-Dec-13 09:24:35

I am a bit wary of using names with which you have no connection as first names but if I wasn't, I definitely consider Collette (sp?). I also think Celeste is pretty.

yourcruisedirector Fri 27-Dec-13 09:27:21

Corinne?

Indith Fri 27-Dec-13 09:29:20

Dd is Margaret Anne, 99% of the time known as Daisy. None of the French family has any trouble saying it. My (French) mother has Marguerite as a middle name after an aunt so it is kind of a family name. Of course for us Marguerite = a daisy and historically is was a shortening of Margaret in English even though it confuses most people now!

The boys are William Gilbert (French pronunciation of Gilbert) and Arthur James. Not that you wanted those for today grin. All pronounced slightly differently in both languages but nobody has any trouble with it.

Actually, I have a very good French baby names book, has all names, all variations and shortenings. We just went through it saying everything in both languages. Would you like it? I'm not having any more dcs so it is just sitting there. PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 27-Dec-13 10:44:12

Lots of lovely names, thanks!

Indith, if you really don't want it any more I would definitely like your book - will pm you my address. By the way, I have always liked Margaret-shortened-to-Daisy!

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 27-Dec-13 10:50:18

I came across an Ophelie recently but I wonder if the Shakespeare connection makes it a name to be avoided?

SS3J Fri 27-Dec-13 12:08:04

Elisa, Elise, Elea, Eleane, Alexane, Vivienne, Alice, Ilona

AbiRoad Fri 27-Dec-13 12:16:29

Juliette
Isabelle
Mathilde
Madeleine
Sylvie
Axelle (I know a fab french Axelle so love this one)

brokenhearted55a Fri 27-Dec-13 18:00:16

Soleil
Celeste
Celine

Ilona isn't French

sleepingbeautiful Fri 27-Dec-13 21:17:42

Lucie
Julianne
Nicole
Emilie
Leonie
Audrey
Helene
Antoinette
Maelle
Elodie
Sylvie

ImpOfDarkness Sat 28-Dec-13 10:34:24

Are you living in the UK or France OP? Some of the names being suggested are decidedly, ahem, middle-aged and would really not work in France (Sylvie and Véronique for instance).

Ilona isn't originally French but it is used here.

ImpOfDarkness Sat 28-Dec-13 10:35:38

And Soleil definitely isn't a name.

Sleepyfergus Sat 28-Dec-13 10:40:52

I have a Claudia which I know isn't French but could be changed to Claudine?

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Sat 28-Dec-13 11:49:15

We live in England Imp, but visit inlaws in France quite often and definitely want the name to be acceptable in France as well! DD has a name that is like a French girl's name but with an 'a' on the end - it is a real name but unusual both here and in France. For a second girl I think we would go for an 'ie' or 'e' ending so as not to have two names which are too similar, and I'd like to avoid names starting with 'a' or a 'j' sound because of surname and other first name initials in the family - other than that, I have an open mind!

Lots of the names that have been suggested are very nice but I will happily consider more! grin

SS3J Sat 28-Dec-13 12:28:36

Brokenhearted, it doesn't have to be French. The OP is asking for girls names that work in French and English.

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Sat 28-Dec-13 12:47:42

What do you all think of Ottilie?

NearTheWindmill Sat 28-Dec-13 12:54:05

I love Ottilie. I think there's a play with an Ottilie but I once read a book about cats where one of the cats was called Ottilie and that's how I associate it. Lovely book though.

Yika Sat 28-Dec-13 13:02:54

Sorry, don't much like Ottilie but I do like Ophelie and I don't think the Hamlet connection would be a problem.
Marine
Marie
Roxane
Taline
Coline
Celine
Diane

SS3J Sat 28-Dec-13 13:19:10

Ottilie is pretty. Nice name.

WeeTeaJenny Sat 28-Dec-13 15:58:38

Always loved Estelle x

Longdistance Sat 28-Dec-13 16:06:04

Fleur?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now