Penelope

(42 Posts)
floatyflo Thu 19-Dec-13 16:57:31

Thoughts please smile

Felix90 Thu 19-Dec-13 17:00:11

I love it! It was on my shortlist but OH hated it hmm

HyvaPaiva Thu 19-Dec-13 17:06:09

LOVE!

I know a wonderful Penelope called 'Pen' and another nicknamed 'Pennelle'.

MolotovCocktail Thu 19-Dec-13 17:09:10

I adore the name, particularly with the nn Nell or Nellie.

We wouldnt use it for either of our dds because it absolutely doesn't work with our surname sad

RubyLovesShopping Thu 19-Dec-13 17:10:27

Lovely

YoMamma Thu 19-Dec-13 17:41:47

Love it. Its on our shortlist for DD2.

Bowlersarm Thu 19-Dec-13 17:43:10

Would you be ok with a shortened version?

Actively dislike.

I just really don't like the sound of it. And don't like Penny.

floatyflo Thu 19-Dec-13 20:18:03

Thanks for all your replies! smile

Florrieboo Fri 20-Dec-13 02:38:44

Love it, know the cutest little Penny so I just adore it.

mummybare Sat 21-Dec-13 07:23:17

Love it - it's top of my list if we have another DD. What are your thoughts on a middle name, OP?

floatyflo Sat 21-Dec-13 08:28:30

Totally outing myself here but her middle name will be Breeze, after a good friend before anyone comments negatively grin

mummybare Sat 21-Dec-13 11:52:54

I like it! It fulfils all my criteria:

1: named after someone special
2: short (don't think Penelope can take more than 2 syllables)
3: not starting with a vowel

LCHammer Sat 21-Dec-13 12:07:29

It's 4 syllables.

It was DH's top choice for DD2. We went with another name eventually.

KangKorandKoloth Sat 21-Dec-13 12:12:29

Sorry, hate it.

It's my name and I spent most of primary school getting the mick taken out of me (Penelope Pitstop, Lady penelope ect ect ect. Think of any cliched joke around penelope or Penny and I got it ad nauseam)

Through high school it used to and still does get mispronounced (penny-Lope, Pena-lop, penni-loppi, pennel-o anyone?) and people used to call me posh and snobby and were actually pretty horrible to me about it at times.

It also translates really badly over the phone and I frequently get mail addressed to Kelly, Jenny, April, Holly and Alison because people haven't heard me correctly. I now work with people who can't spell it which is a pain when they're sending emails and haven't bothered to double check the internal email directory.

God knows what my Dad was thinking, I have a lovely middle name (Kathryn) and wish he'd chosen that instead. I would encourage you to think again and to be fair, this is just my experience, could well be different for your daughter. smile

nkf Sat 21-Dec-13 12:15:19

I love it.

mummybare Sat 21-Dec-13 12:32:04

Was talking about the middle name, LC, being short to go with Penelope smile

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 21-Dec-13 15:00:57

I like it

tiamariaxxx Sat 21-Dec-13 23:01:51

Seems to be getting quite popular. not 1 i would use personally

sleepdodger Sat 21-Dec-13 23:11:38

Total yes here

squoosh Sun 22-Dec-13 03:17:27

Pen, Penny, Nell all nice.

Penelope is awful though.

janey68 Sun 22-Dec-13 10:26:17

Love it. Looks and sounds beautiful, and has the balance of being a classic name which hasn't become over popular

Linguaphile Sun 22-Dec-13 14:22:54

Love it, though it's getting too popular for my taste. Also, there's the Kardashian association if that bothers you.

floatyflo Fri 27-Dec-13 09:30:05

I did wonder about its popularity and its not in the top 100. And I def don't need to worry about the Kartrashian association as I doubt anybody I know even has much of a clue as to who they are, let alone what there kids are called smile

Thank you for everybodys repies. Seems it def not for some but overall the majority like.

Its down to Freya or Penelope now. Votes??

BettyMacdonald Fri 27-Dec-13 09:34:08

Definitely Penelope. I love it and would have used it but unfortunately didn't really suit any of my 3 boys! It's a really versatile name and I think it suits any age. Really don't like Freya, sorry. I think it's a bit fussy although I do know a lovely girl called Freya. FWIW Breeze is a great middle name but I think too much like Febreeze if it's to go with Freya! fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now