Clodagh

(39 Posts)
cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:10:07

Not even TTC#2 yet. Heard this the other day and liked it! Goes with our surname and with DS's name. We live in Scotland, both DH and I of Irish/Scottish heritage. We would have likely gone with Orla or Eilis if DS had been a DD but I know a few so I'm thinking it might be about to get hugely popular.

Any thoughts?

cloggal Tue 17-Dec-13 09:39:51

Looks like cough, surely Santana? Can see that, but not hear it!

Quite like Clo smile Interested though that two of the Irish people have thought it dated, quite sure my Irish relatives would have strong opinions too - just wasn't sure in which way...

adaloveslace Tue 17-Dec-13 11:03:42

I'm late 30s and Irish. I went to school with a few Clodaghs too but I don't see it as dated - possibly because an English friend has a very sweet 8 year old Clodagh. She's known as Clo, which sounds fresh and Chloe-ish to me.

It's one of those Irish names that looks a bit ungainly I think - it's the combination of 'clod' and the 'gh'- but actually sounds feminine and mellifluous.

adaloveslace Tue 17-Dec-13 11:06:10

You might like Cliona or Caríosa as an alternative though?

Or there's always Ciara...

diddl Tue 17-Dec-13 11:10:15

I think it's lovely.

Apparentlychilled Tue 17-Dec-13 11:10:40

I'm Irish, in my late 30s and live in the UK. I love it!

PeterParkerSays Tue 17-Dec-13 11:18:15

It reminds me of the film (and book) Black Narcissus which I think had a Sister Clodagh so it reminds me of that sort of era when the film was made - 1950s?

I think a lot depends on how you pronounce the 2nd syllable, going slightly up at the end of the "a" sound makes the whole name sound a bit lighter.

squoosh Tue 17-Dec-13 12:25:39

I'm Irish, mid 30s, it's a nice enough name. Less boring than Orla but doesn't set my world alight either. I know a few and none of them stand out as being awful people.

womma Tue 17-Dec-13 13:07:21

I really like it. I remember Clodagh Rodgers from the Eurovision song contest when I was a nipper.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 17-Dec-13 14:41:42

I think its beautiful Deborah Kerr played a nun called Clodagh in The Black Narsissus.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 17-Dec-13 14:42:08

Oh sorry x posted!

TruJay Tue 17-Dec-13 14:58:10

Love it, we live in England and we know a Clodagh (Irish dad) I think it's a fab name and she's a lovely girl. I think u do need the heritage connection to use it though in my opinion which u have so go for it!

U can't please everyone with ur name choices as I have recently discovered when I introduced my baby girl!!! If u love it use it x

nauticant Tue 17-Dec-13 15:19:48

Cliona - STD or treatment? You decide!

N0llaigSh0na Tue 17-Dec-13 18:49:10

I like it.

I don't understand how Cliodhna is an STD treatment. Whaaaat?

I thought of Clodagh when I was pregnant but people said "what? like a Claddagh ring!?" eh no. That put me off using it in England.

pinkgirlythoughts Tue 17-Dec-13 18:51:53

We used to call my sister Clodagh as a nn as children- her name is actually Chloe. I really like it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now