Clodagh

(39 Posts)
cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:10:07

Not even TTC#2 yet. Heard this the other day and liked it! Goes with our surname and with DS's name. We live in Scotland, both DH and I of Irish/Scottish heritage. We would have likely gone with Orla or Eilis if DS had been a DD but I know a few so I'm thinking it might be about to get hugely popular.

Any thoughts?

wigglesrock Mon 16-Dec-13 13:14:00

I'm not a fan, but that's because I live in NI & it seems very dated to me. I went to school with a few & it's just a bit uninspired. I can't really explain it any better, sorry. It's just a bit Dymphnaesque iyswim.

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:17:01

I did think that wiggles, have a cousin Clodagh (in NI!) but wasn't sure how popular/of a time it would feel there, there are very few in Scotland

DingDongUriGelleryOnHigh Mon 16-Dec-13 13:18:24

It looks like a sputumy cough. Sorry.

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:18:55

Hadn't heard of it for ages so that may be my answer! smile

I'm not a fan, how are you pronouncing it? I'm also in Scotland and trying to sound it out but it doesn't sound very pretty. Could just be me though

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:19:52

That's okay dingdong - good to get the opinions before I TTC and get all hormonal about names again grin

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:20:24

It's just Clo-da, Kato

It doesn't sound very nice in my Glaswegian drawl. But you may have much naicer-speaking friends!

maresedotes Mon 16-Dec-13 13:24:21

Beautiful name and I love it! It's DD1's name, we're in England and I (and now she) get compliments about it.

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 13:34:34

Glad I'm not alone maresedotes, good to hear it goes down well in England too! Lovely smile

Haha, kato I really don't! smile

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 16-Dec-13 13:47:17

Clodagh Rogers. The singer. Was a bit surprised to see it. Actually it sounds quite nice.

I'm Irish and went to school with a few Clodaghs - I think it's fab!

flipchart Mon 16-Dec-13 14:20:56

there are very few in Scotland
I think there are very few for a reason cloggal
(not a fan tbh)

goodtimesinbontemps Mon 16-Dec-13 14:22:11

It was my girls name for ds1 and ds2! By the time I had dd I had gone off it smile I still think it's a lovely name though and not too common even here in Ireland.

nauticant Mon 16-Dec-13 14:28:40

It shortens to clod. Great nickname.

cloggal Mon 16-Dec-13 14:41:15

Hahaha flipchart! Each to their own, not a fan of the most popular ones so there could be something in that.

Oooh nauticant I would never predict nicknames wink

I had forgotten about Clodagh Rogers too. Good spread of opinion here! smile

Trooperslane Mon 16-Dec-13 14:51:14

I'm a nordie living in Scotland with a cousin Clodagh and I love it.

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Dec-13 17:15:27

I know one in her 40s, known as Clo.

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Dec-13 17:21:36

.... And I like it.

I hate it.

I'm Irish and to me it's a dated and thoroughly unpleasant sounding name.

It sounds heavy and ungainly and unfeminine to me.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 16-Dec-13 17:23:26

I have always thought it an ugly looking name to my English eyes.

I love it. A good friend's Dd is Clodagh. Clo for short.

SantanaLopez Mon 16-Dec-13 20:40:07

It sounds like a cough.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Tue 17-Dec-13 00:18:23

It reminds me of the word 'clodhoppers'. My Mum used it to refer to ridiculously high heels that you couldn't walk in and as a result you would be clodhopping around in the most ungainly way. So to me it's a name that makes me think clumsy and someone who thuds around a lot when they walk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now