Paul

(45 Posts)
HoneyandRum Sat 07-Dec-13 21:03:50

It seems to be underused. In 20 years any Pauls from 2013/14 will be surrounded by Noahs and Nathans. I think it would standout then as unusual.

?

kotinka Wed 11-Dec-13 22:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkativeJim Wed 11-Dec-13 22:25:09

Paul Newman is a one-man snoreathon grin

ZombiePenguin Wed 11-Dec-13 22:22:27

No.

It makes me think of Pimply Paul from Horrid Henry (I get hung up on stupid stuff, tbf).

Aside from that, I think it is quite boring and dull. Probably two generations down the line, Paul will be an exciting and classic name....

Xavielli Tue 10-Dec-13 12:47:11

DP is Paul. He hates it because it means small and is referred to by his surname or an abrieviation of surname (even by his mum!)

TheApprentice Tue 10-Dec-13 12:44:24

Its lovely. Classic and dignified. To the poster who said she didn't understand why people chose names like John, Kevin etc - well, different people have different taste obviously. Just because you find them banal doesn't mean someone else can't really like them.

squoosh Tue 10-Dec-13 12:39:26

If you want a plain sensible name, go for Peter or John, they're far better and far more classic than 70's-tastic Paul.

squoosh Tue 10-Dec-13 12:38:28

It will not be 'cool' when he's an adult, Pauls are still bloody everywhere! It will take 70 years until he's considered cool.

sonnieboo Tue 10-Dec-13 12:36:59

I like Paul a lot. Good, solid, classic name that makes a refreshing change from all the Alfie, Archie, Charlie type names that are imo overused.

He'd not only not have to share his name at school but have a very 'cool' name as an adult (as by then everyone is calling their kids Paul again!). Go for it!

SirChenjin Sun 08-Dec-13 11:21:30

Every second boy in the seventies was called Paul (well, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it felt like it...). It's one of those names which definitely define a decade, but it's not a name I like

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 11:17:20

My Dh has a very boring name, he is lovely, but his name is plain and mundane.

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 11:15:23

Sorry I seem to have missed some letters out theregrin

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 11:14:49

No I don't thin Pau Newman is boring at all. I think the name Paul is boring.

harryhausen Sun 08-Dec-13 10:20:57

I like Paul. I know of no children or babies called Paul.

Incidentally, in our school I know of no Marks, Johns, Matthews, Colins, Philips, Simons etc etc. These were very recurring names when I was in school 70's/80's.

Also, I have a Lucy. Fairly common, however there are no others in our whole school of 580 pupils. There are plenty of Ellie's, Lily's, Matilda's, Madeline's, Summers, India's etc.

It's hard guessing name popularity.

GingerPCatt Sun 08-Dec-13 10:03:10

Like it. As long as you don't name his brother peter.

Coconutty Sun 08-Dec-13 09:59:38

Not keen at all.

RTjoke Sun 08-Dec-13 09:58:25

DD1 has two Paul's in her year so it's not as unusual as you think. I think both have Eastern European parents so it must be popular in the part of the world.

HoneyandRum Sun 08-Dec-13 09:52:09

Paul Newman is boring?

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 07:42:24

There are so many names to choose from, I don't understand why anyone would choose a name like Paul, John, Kevin, etc

Sorry, but I find it so mundane it irritates me. I know that sounds rude, I usually have very little opinion on names, but I do on boring ones.

BananaHammocks Sun 08-Dec-13 07:24:52

It might not be popular now but it was for the last few generations hence there will still be loads around even if they aren't the same age as him. People only seem to be bothered about their children not having the same name as people they will go to school with, what about the rest of their life?

dobedobedo Sun 08-Dec-13 07:18:25

Dh is called Paul, he's 30. I like the name. Dh is tall, dark, handsome, smart, stubborn, reasonable, tips even when he gets crap service, witty and beardy.
Probably not down to his name, but I'm in the "vote for Paul" camp! grin

SatinSandals Sun 08-Dec-13 07:16:30

I think it is one that will make a comeback at some point.

99redbafoons Sun 08-Dec-13 07:11:07

It means small if that has any baring for you...

mathanxiety Sun 08-Dec-13 07:06:18

I know one who is 10. I think it's a great name.

I love Pauline, Paulina, Polina, Paulette and Paula...

justhayley Sun 08-Dec-13 01:28:46

I have an uncle Paul, (mid 40s) he kinda looks like a baby - bald & fat cheeks lol. I know a late 20s Paul but knowone younger than it.

fairisleknitter Sat 07-Dec-13 23:25:16

I prefer Peter, John or Robert.

I do know a young Paul and he's the only one in his year. Actually he may be the only one in the school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now