Would you name a boy this..?

(60 Posts)
AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 20:31:11

Kelly.
As in Irish surname, as in Kelly Jones of Stereophonics.

Would you?

Annakin31 Wed 04-Dec-13 04:42:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grizzabellia Sun 01-Dec-13 20:24:50

I wouldn't - know a guy called Tracy and it always seems v strange. He must spend his entire life with people being surprised he is not a woman. I think Kelly would have a similar issue. Also don't like the name much, very eighties and as someone said a bit 'common'.

mathanxiety Sun 01-Dec-13 20:20:50

nee kh-YAHL-ih

The kh sound is like the ch sound of the Scottish 'loch'
The rest is kind of like 'yalley' but with a shorter final vowel sound than 'alley'

LittleBairn Sun 01-Dec-13 15:00:55

I really dislike the name Kelly I've known a few female Kellys growing up in Glasgow its considered outdated now.

nickelbabe Sun 01-Dec-13 14:49:44

celtic I know there's no k in welsh either, but the keri/kerrys I know are definitely from wales and definitely spelt with a k.
it's all that anglicization.
the only person i know who has a c spelling is a cian and is definitely irish.

Kelly for a boy would also make me think of Chicago Fire and the lovely Kelly Savaride, but that would be a fleeting connection - but a strong, heroic, fireman connection…..

baskingseals Sun 01-Dec-13 09:18:41

Math, how would the feminine version be pronounced?

I worked with a lovely lovely guy called Kelly, and one of my closest girlfriends is a Kelly, so for me it is a universal name.

MistleToastyStoHoHoat Sun 01-Dec-13 09:09:00

Mmm Kelly Jones <<slobber>> he's yum. Love his voice! I like Kelly or indeed Kerry for a boy, more than I like them for girls.

SpecialAgentFreyPie Sun 01-Dec-13 05:25:00

I like it a lot. smile

mathanxiety Sun 01-Dec-13 05:21:25

Another thing accomplished by changing O Ceallaigh to Kelly or O'Kelly, etc., was that the feminine form of the name -- ni Cheallaigh -- was eliminated altogether.

perfectstorm Sun 01-Dec-13 05:18:16

Trifle, please tell me you're making a joke which backfired - you don't seriously think God is an Englishman and all those silly foreigners talk weirdly because they're showoffs, do you? confused

Trooperslane Sun 01-Dec-13 04:56:27

Trifle - the Irish spell their names in IRISH, not a ridiculous way. Bloody cheek.

Sunnysummer Sun 01-Dec-13 04:19:44

Only if DH and I were both very strong, very good fighters and/or very attractive, and very confident that our son would be the same. Otherwise, no.

squoosh Sun 01-Dec-13 03:11:32

'Don't the Irish have a knack of taking simple names and spelling them in a ridiculous way. Surely Kelly would be spelt Kelighah or something equally unpronounceable. Aside from that, no.'

No, we don't take 'simple' names and spell them in a ridiculous way, we spell Irish names in an IRISH way. You know, because it's a different language? The world does not revolve around the English language you ignorant fool.

Tigerbomb Sun 01-Dec-13 00:05:22

I thought it was a girls name. Didn't realise it could be a boys name too. It didn't sound too bad and then I remembered this www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7D3GPKNcSI

lottiegarbanzo Sat 30-Nov-13 23:48:25

The first Kelly I knew was a female Labrador and it's the doggyness more than the sex that comes instantly to mind and would put me off!

thenicknameiwantedisgone Sat 30-Nov-13 23:27:05

I wouldn't, no.

I know a Kelly jones and she is definitely female!

weirdthing Sat 30-Nov-13 23:16:25

Kerry would be nice for a boy, I think.

I know a male Kelly, always assumed that he's a she when talking about him.
Even if someone says something to me about him I automatically think through the females first.

Carey?

Soldierskittle Sat 30-Nov-13 23:11:59

Kelly slater. Yum

CelticPromise Sat 30-Nov-13 23:08:10

There's no K in Welsh either. Nickel you must be thinking of Ceri. I know male and female Ceris.

CelticPromise Sat 30-Nov-13 23:08:08

There's no K in Welsh either. Nickel you must be thinking of Ceri. I know male and female Ceris.

AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 23:05:18

I know! I'm welsh and also get affronted by language mockery

Inkspellme Sat 30-Nov-13 23:03:31

Thanks for the post explaining the basis of where Kelly came from in the Irish Language.

As regards the insulting comments about the Irish using ridiculus spellings - well, I'm just grateful I'm not that ignorant about my neighbouring countries language and traditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now