Would you name a boy this..?

(60 Posts)
AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 20:31:11

Kelly.
As in Irish surname, as in Kelly Jones of Stereophonics.

Would you?

mathanxiety Sun 01-Dec-13 05:21:25

Another thing accomplished by changing O Ceallaigh to Kelly or O'Kelly, etc., was that the feminine form of the name -- ni Cheallaigh -- was eliminated altogether.

SpecialAgentFreyPie Sun 01-Dec-13 05:25:00

I like it a lot. smile

MistleToastyStoHoHoat Sun 01-Dec-13 09:09:00

Mmm Kelly Jones <<slobber>> he's yum. Love his voice! I like Kelly or indeed Kerry for a boy, more than I like them for girls.

baskingseals Sun 01-Dec-13 09:18:41

Math, how would the feminine version be pronounced?

I worked with a lovely lovely guy called Kelly, and one of my closest girlfriends is a Kelly, so for me it is a universal name.

Kelly for a boy would also make me think of Chicago Fire and the lovely Kelly Savaride, but that would be a fleeting connection - but a strong, heroic, fireman connection…..

nickelbabe Sun 01-Dec-13 14:49:44

celtic I know there's no k in welsh either, but the keri/kerrys I know are definitely from wales and definitely spelt with a k.
it's all that anglicization.
the only person i know who has a c spelling is a cian and is definitely irish.

LittleBairn Sun 01-Dec-13 15:00:55

I really dislike the name Kelly I've known a few female Kellys growing up in Glasgow its considered outdated now.

mathanxiety Sun 01-Dec-13 20:20:50

nee kh-YAHL-ih

The kh sound is like the ch sound of the Scottish 'loch'
The rest is kind of like 'yalley' but with a shorter final vowel sound than 'alley'

grizzabellia Sun 01-Dec-13 20:24:50

I wouldn't - know a guy called Tracy and it always seems v strange. He must spend his entire life with people being surprised he is not a woman. I think Kelly would have a similar issue. Also don't like the name much, very eighties and as someone said a bit 'common'.

Annakin31 Wed 04-Dec-13 04:42:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now