Would you name a boy this..?

(60 Posts)
AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 20:31:11

Kelly.
As in Irish surname, as in Kelly Jones of Stereophonics.

Would you?

mathanxiety Sat 30-Nov-13 22:24:48

Ironic, innit?

nickelbabe Sat 30-Nov-13 22:26:22

oh, and I would assume welsh, not irish, because I know a couple keri/kerry s who are welsh and I think it looks similar

TeamEdward Sat 30-Nov-13 22:28:20

I'd name a boy Kelly, but not a girl.

lookingforlife Sat 30-Nov-13 22:31:08

Don't the Irish have a knack of taking simple names and spelling them in a ridiculous way. Surely Kelly would be spelt Kelighah or something equally unpronounceable. Aside from that, no.

Really? What a ridiculous thing to say.

i dont particularly like the name for a boy or girl, but dislike the ignorant racist comments about irish spelling more.

SaucyJack Sat 30-Nov-13 22:47:50

No. Not least because it would remind me of that talentless droning dickhead from The Stereophonics.

Kelly Severide in Chicago Fire pulls it off.

And Scottish rugby player Kelly Brown is the nicest man you could ever meet. A genuine gent.

AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 22:57:45

I'm liking the posters who are misreading it as Kerry grin

MrsOakenshield Sat 30-Nov-13 23:00:35

I agree that I prefer it as a boy's name than a girl's, the only Kelly I have known was a bloke.

AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 23:01:36

I've never met a male Kelly in rl
Forgot about Kelly slater too

Inkspellme Sat 30-Nov-13 23:03:31

Thanks for the post explaining the basis of where Kelly came from in the Irish Language.

As regards the insulting comments about the Irish using ridiculus spellings - well, I'm just grateful I'm not that ignorant about my neighbouring countries language and traditions.

AuntieBrenda Sat 30-Nov-13 23:05:18

I know! I'm welsh and also get affronted by language mockery

CelticPromise Sat 30-Nov-13 23:08:08

There's no K in Welsh either. Nickel you must be thinking of Ceri. I know male and female Ceris.

CelticPromise Sat 30-Nov-13 23:08:10

There's no K in Welsh either. Nickel you must be thinking of Ceri. I know male and female Ceris.

Soldierskittle Sat 30-Nov-13 23:11:59

Kelly slater. Yum

Carey?

I know a male Kelly, always assumed that he's a she when talking about him.
Even if someone says something to me about him I automatically think through the females first.

weirdthing Sat 30-Nov-13 23:16:25

Kerry would be nice for a boy, I think.

thenicknameiwantedisgone Sat 30-Nov-13 23:27:05

I wouldn't, no.

I know a Kelly jones and she is definitely female!

lottiegarbanzo Sat 30-Nov-13 23:48:25

The first Kelly I knew was a female Labrador and it's the doggyness more than the sex that comes instantly to mind and would put me off!

Tigerbomb Sun 01-Dec-13 00:05:22

I thought it was a girls name. Didn't realise it could be a boys name too. It didn't sound too bad and then I remembered this www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7D3GPKNcSI

squoosh Sun 01-Dec-13 03:11:32

'Don't the Irish have a knack of taking simple names and spelling them in a ridiculous way. Surely Kelly would be spelt Kelighah or something equally unpronounceable. Aside from that, no.'

No, we don't take 'simple' names and spell them in a ridiculous way, we spell Irish names in an IRISH way. You know, because it's a different language? The world does not revolve around the English language you ignorant fool.

Sunnysummer Sun 01-Dec-13 04:19:44

Only if DH and I were both very strong, very good fighters and/or very attractive, and very confident that our son would be the same. Otherwise, no.

Trooperslane Sun 01-Dec-13 04:56:27

Trifle - the Irish spell their names in IRISH, not a ridiculous way. Bloody cheek.

perfectstorm Sun 01-Dec-13 05:18:16

Trifle, please tell me you're making a joke which backfired - you don't seriously think God is an Englishman and all those silly foreigners talk weirdly because they're showoffs, do you? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now