Roland

(39 Posts)
RugbyWidow7 Sat 30-Nov-13 20:23:34

My husband's grandfather was Roland and although I love the abbreviations of this name (Roly / Rolo) with our surname, I'm just struggling to imagine introducing my son as Roland. Is this just because it's not fashionable? Or isn't it a nice name? I know it's opinion only really, but I'm keen to know what others think. I do like a strong boys name but not sure if this is almost too strong. Thanks

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not very nice.

Wasn't the bullied chubby kid in Grange Hill Roland?

Iwaswatchingthat Sat 30-Nov-13 20:30:49

I immediately thought of Roland Rat, then King Rollo, then Roly from Grange Hill.

When I think about it my childhood was littered with Rolands.

bebopanddoowop Sat 30-Nov-13 20:31:14

One of my best friends is called Roland so I like it! Suits him, I think of it as a cheeky name but maybe that's by association. He was named after the brand of keyboards, apparently...

Absolutely love it - but suspect I'll be one of a v few.

Nothing wrong with it per se, but it did make me think of the kid on Grange Hill. Sorry to say Rolo made me think of 'A frog he would a wooing go (hi ho for Rolo). But in a nice way smile

Rosencrantz Sat 30-Nov-13 20:34:05

I love it. Rollo is a great nickname.

Ro-land. I've never heard of another one apart from the Grange Hill one.

RugbyWidow7 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:10:21

Thanks all. Hmm

I immediately thought of Roland the rat. Wouldn't be for me, sorry op. Middle name?

SavoyCabbage Sat 30-Nov-13 21:23:57

I can only say it like Janet off grange hill. Ro-land. Probably as that was my first experience of the name.

MonkeysTypewriter Sat 30-Nov-13 21:25:36

I think you should have a name you both love. If you don't love it enough, then middle names are for grandparents/ other people you want to honour

CitrusyOne Sat 30-Nov-13 21:27:03

My cabbage patch doll was called Roland. That was my first thought- not the grange hill Roland. My cabbage patch doll was really cute though, and I wanted him so much. It made my Christmas the year I had him. Go for it! Have a Roland and live him like I did mine!

(I do have a dd of my own now and understand actual motherly love)

puntasticusername Sat 30-Nov-13 21:57:37

Stephen King wrote a very heroic character called Roland: [[ http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Deschain]]

puntasticusername Sat 30-Nov-13 21:58:17
dyslexicdespot Sat 30-Nov-13 22:05:51

I really like it. We considered it for DS but named him after my father instead.

mathanxiety Sat 30-Nov-13 22:08:55

I really like the name.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 30-Nov-13 22:21:01

I can only say it like Janet from Grange Hill too. But there will be a pretty narrow generation remember that .
Roland Gift is v cool.

Stephen King's Roland is wonderful. I love him.

JCMSD Sun 01-Dec-13 02:52:27

My husband is a Roland but has been a Roly most of his life. He is now a Roland at work but often gets Ronald instead/ by mistake. I tend to call him Ro most often. Anyway, I think its a great name. Would ask dh what he thinks but he is busy snoring...

squoosh Sun 01-Dec-13 03:02:40

'I immediately thought of Roland Rat, then King Rollo, then Roly from Grange Hill.

When I think about it my childhood was littered with Rolands.'

We shared the same childhood!

OP Roland is not a good name.

ItLooksLikeRainDearpOOD Sun 01-Dec-13 03:09:20

Sorry 1st thought was rat & then that poor boy from grange hill.

IceNoSlice Sun 01-Dec-13 04:08:19

Grange Hill. Ro-land! Sorry.

perfectstorm Sun 01-Dec-13 05:19:38

He'll be bullied. Roly-poly. I like it, but I think it's cruel for a child, sadly.

Dillydollydaydream Sun 01-Dec-13 05:38:14

I know a Roland. His nickname is rat/ratty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now