Maisie?

(62 Posts)
JuniorMint Sat 30-Nov-13 10:20:22

Hi,

Just wondering what people think of Maisie, but also- my cat's name is Millie... would Maisie be too similar?! (We tend to call the cat Mills...)

Thanks smile

Rtfairy Wed 04-Dec-13 22:03:02

I like it a lot but I like these cutesy names (my DD is Daisy). If you love it then don't let the comments of strangers on the Internet influence you, these types of names are popular because they are lovely.

WhatTheHellIsHappening Mon 02-Dec-13 22:16:47

My DD1 was named after my first hamster.

Her name is Maisie.

It was a very stupid reason but she's older, it fits her and DH also has a great great aunt, who would be 108 if she lived, called Maisie. I love it.

IsabellaRockerfeller Mon 02-Dec-13 22:13:05

Don't like it I'm afraid.

It's too twee for me.

I disagree with sparkly, I know Poppys and Daisys of all ages, and Maisies too. I don't think it will become 'dated'.

I like it. One of my best friend's sisters is called Maisie. A lovely name. smile

SparklyNewNameChange Mon 02-Dec-13 20:30:41

It's twee, dull, boring, and unimaginative, and will date just like all the other 'ee' sounding names out there - Daisy/Molly/Poppy/Millie' etc.

GideonKipper Mon 02-Dec-13 20:12:41

Whatever.

Good luck with your pregnancy OP.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 02-Dec-13 19:48:29

I find it childish and twee too. Nothing to do with a herd or any other mentality; it's been my opinion since I first heard that Julie Walters had called her daughter this many, many years ago.

JuniorMint Mon 02-Dec-13 18:09:34

Wow thanks for all you... varied... replies!

GideonKipper Mon 02-Dec-13 16:35:53

grin at names having names having connotations and evoking moods and feelings, with Holly also deemed 'cutesy/cloying'. That'd be Holly, also the name of a prickly, potentially poisonous plant associated with the coldest season of the year.

There's a herd mentality on here with names ending in 'ie' or 'y' immediately slated as being sub-par. We should all be calling our daughters Elizabeth, Catherine or Ethelburga or something.

LtEveDallas Mon 02-Dec-13 15:35:59

She's a mouse, a cat, a character in Emmerdale, a Harry Potter character and a detective. There is an actress called Maisie in The Game of Thrones, an american author and a (mexican I think) artist.

It's just a name - not everyone will like it, but I don't think people need to be rude about it.

(FWIW mine was named after a horse....not that she knows!)

GideonKipper Mon 02-Dec-13 15:10:48

OP if you're still out there - if you love the name Maisie then go for it. As you've seen on this thread there are tweenagers, women in their twenties and thirties, someone's mum, fictional cats and mice (!), all sorts of people with the name. DH had a great aunt Maisie who'd be 82 if she was still alive.

It's your dd. Pick a name you (and your DP/H) love and sod everybody else. You're hardly contemplating calling her Truly Scrumptious or something. Now that would be "cutesy"

qumquat Mon 02-Dec-13 14:55:55

Gideon, yes I find all the names you've listed cutesy/cloying as well. Different people have different tastes. Of course words evoke moods and feelings; if strings of letters together didn't have any connotations attached to them, we all might as well just assign our children a number or barcode.

shoobidoo Mon 02-Dec-13 14:42:35

I don't like Maisie at all, sorry. I find it childish, cutesy and not very elegant/feminine. I am surprised how defensive some people are getting on this thread. The op has asked for our (honest) opinions on a name and that's what people are offering.

GideonKipper Sun 01-Dec-13 23:57:49

Well the word COD doesn't invoke any reaction in me, so that's not really working.

Is Libby cloying and saccharine?
Holly/Hollie?
Jessie?
Cassie?
Janey?
Katie?
Susie?

What is it about Maisie as opposed to other names?

HavantGuard Sun 01-Dec-13 23:52:15

What makes C, O and D fishy?

GideonKipper Sun 01-Dec-13 23:51:21

Yeah. I got them.

What I don't get is what makes this particular name cloying and saccharine?

It's simply an M. An A. An I. An S. Another I. An E. What makes those particular letters in that particular combination cloying and saccharine?

HavantGuard Sun 01-Dec-13 23:41:49

Those were for Gideon who finds 'cutesy' overused.

GideonKipper Sun 01-Dec-13 23:22:06

God knows.

GideonKipper Sun 01-Dec-13 23:21:17

How can a six letter, two syllable word be 'cloying and saccharine'?

poppydaisy Sun 01-Dec-13 23:20:27

Our guinea pigs, Gideon. And yours?

GideonKipper Sun 01-Dec-13 23:18:50

What was the inspiration for your username poppydaisy if I may be so bold as to ask?

moggiek Sun 01-Dec-13 22:33:10

Maisie was my Mum's name. She was the kindest, loveliest person I will ever know. I think it's a wonderful name!

poppydaisy Sun 01-Dec-13 22:31:28

Too childish and cutesy, sorry

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 01-Dec-13 22:27:11

Is pretty fab*

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 01-Dec-13 22:26:54

It reminds me of the play 'the boyfriend' the character Maisie in that us pretty fab. I think if it were me I would use Margaret on the birth certificate though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now