Having a name wobble with 6 wks left

(23 Posts)
daughterofafarmer Fri 29-Nov-13 16:51:16

So I totally understand that we may meet DS and change our minds...but for ages DH and I we pretty set on one name, however when I mentioned said name the other day after a sustained absence of baby name chat DH just went 'it's okay'

WHAT.

Bloody men grin

This has total thrown me, and know I can feel myself losing my neve wink . I know DH likes the name but he just seem a bit ambivalent about it.

1st choice was Hamish.

2nd choice was Alexander with Ander as a possibly nn. Which I can feel myself leaning towards after DH comment. Whist Hamish is a strong classic name I can't help but think Alexander might be a better fit with DD (also a H, think along the lines of Harriet)

I also like Johnny or Jamie.

Or am I thinking too much about it and should just leave it until Jan?

Any suggestions!

ProfondoRosso Fri 29-Nov-13 16:56:54

They are all great names. Hamish is my favourite though - cute when they're wee, strong and dignified when they're older.

Don't worry about DH's ambivalence - he's probably thinking he's not reacted strangely at all and would be surprised that you're worried! smile

daughterofafarmer Fri 29-Nov-13 19:39:07

Thanks, thinking the same thing but still having a wobble grin

VerySmallSqueak Fri 29-Nov-13 19:40:36

Hamish is my favourite too.

Hamish, Alexander and Lachlan are our top 3 boys names. smile
Don't worry about DH. You have your other name in reserve so just wait and see what you both think when he is born.

Hellopitty Fri 29-Nov-13 19:49:31

I quite like hamish, not too keen on Alexander though. Typical nn will be Alex, which is not that exciting. How about:

Rufus
Oskar
Euan
Angus?

veee123 Fri 29-Nov-13 19:51:32

Hamish is up there with one of the worst names ive heard sorry.

daughterofafarmer Fri 29-Nov-13 19:58:51

veee don't hold back there with your views grin

bundaberg Fri 29-Nov-13 20:20:29

i love Hamish, it's a great name. Alexander also v good, and Johnny is excellent. Not so keen on Jamie personally.

I would probably wait and see tbh

Ihatepeas Fri 29-Nov-13 20:36:14

Love Hamish! a very close friend has a baby Hamish they call him 'mish mash' which I think is just adorable on a podgy baby!!
Alexander is a great classic name as is Johnny.
Not so sure in Jamie but James is great!

I would just wait and see what seems right when he's born.

Hamish is brilliant!

You must use Hamish!!

atomicyoghurt Fri 29-Nov-13 20:43:58

Hamish and Ander both marvellous.

Don't chicken out if you like it. We chickened out 3 times on a name and although I love my girls names I feel like I'm in mourning for little R that will never be born.

Hmmm dh is right I sound like a psycho.

TopHatAndTails Fri 29-Nov-13 20:51:16

Hamish is lovely. I'm a fan of Hector too.

I like Ander.

All lovely names op.

comemulledwinewithmoi Fri 29-Nov-13 20:53:52

I suggested Hamish, Dh hated it!! It's not a real name btw, think it means, come here semus?

Bowlersarm Fri 29-Nov-13 21:00:31

I like Alexander but really don't like Ander.

Out of your names I love Jamie, followed fairly closely by Johnnie.

Not keen on Hamish.

rollmeover Fri 29-Nov-13 21:06:08

Love Hamish, its quirky but strong and getting quite popular where we are - naice "middle" class part of Scotland. I cant use it as it doesnt work with our surname.

I also love Alexander but it is just too popular and I dont really like any of the nicknames though Ander is quite cool.

BNmum Fri 29-Nov-13 21:16:07

Hamish is a great name, Alexander is alright. Not keen on Johnnie or Jaime.
I like James, Rufus and Angus which others have suggested.

daughterofafarmer Fri 29-Nov-13 21:42:12

Being a jock I think Hamish is fabulous, DH being English isn't so good on Scottish names. However he was the one who suggested Hamish.

I'd love a Lachlan but DH can't for the life of him can't get his head round the 'hlan' bit blushwink

Surprised at the love for Johnny. Jamie is a bit of a mehhhh name for me, nice but that's it!

ClaraBarton Sat 30-Nov-13 03:49:03

I thought you had chosen Johnny? I remember your previous thread.

I love Johnny smile

daughterofafarmer Sat 30-Nov-13 16:40:28

clara I do love Johnny but DH isn't so keen, said he preferred Hamish.

Drama drama drama grin

capercaillie Sat 30-Nov-13 16:46:29

All great names!

DH was always a bit ambivalent or funny about names. It was easier with a baby in front of us. When in fact he went for my favourite both times...

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 17:39:07

Hamish and Johnny are great.

Jamie and Alexander aren't.

MonkeysTypewriter Sat 30-Nov-13 18:07:15

Hamish is a gorgeous gorgeous name.

I know an awful lot of little Alexanders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now