Jean

(68 Posts)
HoneyandRum Fri 29-Nov-13 05:10:57

I like Jean and you never here it anymore for girls. What do you think?

everlong Sat 30-Nov-13 08:55:49

It's ugly. Mean and hard sounding to me.
Same as Edith and Ivy.

The classics like Florence, Charlotte, Emily, Violet, Beatrice, Lily, Elizabeth, Victoria, Harriet, Rebecca, Constance are in a different league and came back for a reason.

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 09:18:58

Florence and Beatrice are so ugly to me. And as for Harriet................. an awful name to inflict on someone.

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 09:20:09

Also I don't think Florence and Constance et al are true 'classics', the last time they were in vogue was 1890. Truly classic names never really disappear.

8thplace Sat 30-Nov-13 09:24:49

I really like Jean and know one little jeanie

JoinYourPlayfellows Sat 30-Nov-13 13:56:36

See, I love the name Mabel.

I first came across it in an E Nesbitt book, and I've never met anyone called that name.

To me it's not an old granny name or a name that was ever fashionable or unfashionable, I just really like the sound of it.

I find I have similar responses to a lot of so-called "granny" names. I don't think of Jean or Florence as being granny names either. Jean to me is a woman in her 30s and Florence is just off the Magic Roundabout.

everlong Sat 30-Nov-13 14:46:20

To me Jean isn't a woman in her 30's ( that would be Samantha, Danielle, Carly ) to me she's a dinner lady in her 60's think Hilda Ogden stylee wink

Rosencrantz Sat 30-Nov-13 16:24:36

I like it, it's a subtle nod to my favourite witch.

Twiddlebum Sat 30-Nov-13 17:36:19

My middle name is jean (after my gran) and I have spent my entire 33 years of life being teased about it! Please don't do this to a child! sad

Rooners Sat 30-Nov-13 17:39:49

I know someone who called their child Jean a few years ago. It might be with an E at the end because when I knew him well, we liked that song. But we're no longer in touch so I don't know.

He is v trendy London type. Good people I think. I like it very much.

NigellasGuest Sat 30-Nov-13 17:40:55

Oh I love it! Think Jean Shrimpton.
and remember I Dream of Jeannie, anyone? <ancient>

allcatsaregrey Sat 30-Nov-13 17:43:40

I'm a Jean aka jeannie, wee jeannie and jeannie mcbeaney. I love my name. I've never been teased and everyone always remembers it. I am scottish tho which helps.

DoesZingBumpLookBigInThis Sat 30-Nov-13 17:48:12

"Billie Jean is not my lover"

that is my only association with Jean

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 30-Nov-13 17:55:43

I love Jean grin

But then I am biased.

Jean Harlow
Jean Shrimpton
Jean Kent (who died today)

All glamorous and interesting.

pinkpudding Sat 30-Nov-13 19:03:25

My good friend jean at school spent most of her childhood worried about bo due to all the wise cracks about "hi jean". She was desperate to change her name to jenifer.

JeanSeberg Sat 30-Nov-13 19:54:15

... Not forgetting Jean Seberg in that list Ton...

never2broke4beauty.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/jean-seberg-style-icon.html

MarianneBrandon Sat 30-Nov-13 21:23:52

My Grandma was called Jean. I like it and it would definitely stand out from all the popular girl names like Amelia, Sophie and Evie.

I love Jean, we seriously considered it for DD2, but then we decided we couldn't use it as it's a feminine form of John, and DS1 is Jack (which is also a form of John).

DD2 is named Mary, so as you can tell, those kind of "older" names are our style.

Oh and meant to say, hearing of a little girl named Jean, well it would be much more refreshing then hearing of another little girl named one of the really "on trend" names right now.

I have to stifle a yawn when I hear of yet another little girl named Amelia/Isabel/Isabella/Olivia/Ruby/Ava. If I heard of a little Jean, you wouldn't keep the smile off my face!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now