Jean

(68 Posts)
HoneyandRum Fri 29-Nov-13 05:10:57

I like Jean and you never here it anymore for girls. What do you think?

Mintyy Fri 29-Nov-13 11:19:56

Love it. It is my dd's middle name because it is her grandmas name and was also both of her great grandmas names.

LittleMissRed Fri 29-Nov-13 11:22:10

The Smiths have a song called Jeane.
When I first clicked on your thread I wasn't sure about the name, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Especially if spelt Jeane. It is a good strong name, and I think would be considered quite a cool name to have.

squoosh Fri 29-Nov-13 12:19:38

I love Jean.

Arabesque1 Fri 29-Nov-13 14:21:18

I don't like it. Jane is much nicer.

everlong Fri 29-Nov-13 14:58:18

My friend was nearly Jean after her aunt Jean..She thanks god regularly that her mother had a change of heart and named her after the midwife who delivered her!

Please don't burden a little girl with it!

HoneyandRum Fri 29-Nov-13 15:21:48

Well I won't be having another, I have three and am prob too old. If I had twins I would call them Jean and Josephine (Josie) after my Great-Aunt and Nan, who were unrelated.

I just love these names.

PlainBrownEnvelope Fri 29-Nov-13 15:26:44

Dd's middle name is Jean, named for my grandmother. I really like it but maybe for the connotations rather than the actual name as I also have a friend called Jean who is really cool.

Ihatepeas Fri 29-Nov-13 15:50:06

I know a totally gorgeous Jeanie! I really like it!

TheGinSoakedBoy Fri 29-Nov-13 16:00:11

I know a 3 year old with the middle name 'Jean ' it's lovely and definitely due a revival smile

JapaneseMargaret Fri 29-Nov-13 19:27:57

These sorts of names are absolutely due a comeback. Non-frilly, consonant-ending (unlike all the Isabellas and Evies), but still feminine. Jean, Jane, June, Joan, etc. Joan a step too far for some right now maybe, but give it another 5 or so years.

My middle name is Jeanne, named after my grandmother (born early 1900s) and I've always like it.

everlong Fri 29-Nov-13 20:27:55

Joan will never come back.

Look at the old granny names. Florence, Mabel, Ava etc all back for a reason - because they're pretty/feminine. How many little Edna's or Enid's do you know?

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 29-Nov-13 21:11:50

Like Jean but love June

TeamJavert Fri 29-Nov-13 21:21:12

A definite no from me. It's a very ugly,unpleasant sounding name IMHO.

womma Fri 29-Nov-13 21:35:21

DD has a Jeane in her class, it's a lovely name

feelinlucky Fri 29-Nov-13 21:39:06

Jean is uber cool. Definitely go for jean. Personally I love it. It's on a par with Betty and Mabel. Love it smile

Mckayz Fri 29-Nov-13 21:48:05

I love it!!

It's my middle name and my mums, Nan's and Great Nan's. So I gave it to DD as her middle name too.

Leeds2 Fri 29-Nov-13 21:49:06

I don't dislike it, but makes me think of jeans.

TheNunsOfGavarone Fri 29-Nov-13 22:03:16

Not keen. Just seems a bit dull and utilitarian to me and I think I'd be quite annoyed if my parents called me Jean when there are so many beautiful names out there for the choosing.

legoplayingmumsunite Fri 29-Nov-13 22:03:18

My cousin's daughter is Jean, I defy anyone to meet her and not love the name, she is beautiful and fab. Robert Burns wife was Jean so there is some great poetry about Jean.

JapaneseMargaret Fri 29-Nov-13 23:45:35

Mabel? Pretty and feminine?!

Not to me. And I don't think Florence is, either.

People used to think Isobel was a desperate old dowdy name (believe me, I know!!), but they changed their tune when it came back into fashion.

If Edith can have a revival - and Mabel! (sorry, no offence to any Mabels) - then simple, stylish names like Jean and Joan can. After all, someone's perception of a name is theirs alone.

squoosh Fri 29-Nov-13 23:46:52

Mabel is just awful! Really, really awful.

Betty and Jean are FAR superior.

RhondaJean Fri 29-Nov-13 23:49:23

Jean is a fab name.

My mother is a jeanie. She was named after her grandmother.

I remember reading lots of books with little Scottish girls named jean or jeanie when I was a child.

JeanSeberg Fri 29-Nov-13 23:56:42

Love it grin

Devora Fri 29-Nov-13 23:58:53

I really like Jean and Joan. Love Josie.

I prefer the English spelling.

Littlecurrentbun Fri 29-Nov-13 23:59:13

I am a teacher and we have a Jean. It is lovely. We also have a Kathleen !!! It is actually very pretty though I didn't like it so much before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now